TravelTalkOnline

Scrub Island

Posted By: MattN

Scrub Island - 07/01/2019 01:35 AM

Does anyone know if Scrub Island is running a TTOL special this summer for dockage?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Scrub Island - 07/01/2019 12:21 PM

Doubtful. Dream Yacht is using it as there base now.
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 08:11 AM

George is right on.

We just arrived back home after two weeks of sailing the BVI

Passing Scrub, we changed plans of a slip there, we elected to pick up a mooring at marina cay. There were many , many masts visible and vessels at the Scrub Marina.

Actually, there were additional Dream Charter's catamarans , moored or anchored , not occupied , just off marina cay. pretty good indicator that Scrub was filled with Dream Yacht Charters boats.

Scrub did not look like there was any guest slips available in their marina. Those dates were May 18 and 19. Marina Cay was great for us, totally easy going, good meals, and drinks, not crowded.

However, all is not lost....the scheduled free ferry runs all day into the night from Trellis to Marina Cay to Scrub, and returns. ( maybe 5 minute passage ) So, you can still visit scrub, while moored at Marina Cay.

Note: the best in shape mooring balls at Marina Cay, that we observed, were on the south west end of the mooring field. Also, Marina Cay, is a nice base for a 30 minute motor
over to Monkey Point , Guana island, for snorkeling. ( free N.P. Moorings for 1.5 hrs. )

Have fun.
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by captdennyj

George is right on.

We just arrived back home after two weeks of sailing the BVI

Passing Scrub, we changed plans of a slip there, we elected to pick up a mooring at marina cay. There were many , many masts visible and vessels at the Scrub Marina.

Actually, there were additional Dream Charter's catamarans , moored or anchored , not occupied , just off marina cay. pretty good indicator that Scrub was filled with Dream Yacht Charters boats.

Scrub did not look like there was any guest slips available in their marina. Those dates were May 18 and 19. Marina Cay was great for us, totally easy going, good meals, and drinks, not crowded.

However, all is not lost....the scheduled free ferry runs all day into the night from Trellis to Marina Cay to Scrub, and returns. ( maybe 5 minute passage ) So, you can still visit scrub, while moored at Marina Cay.

Note: the best in shape mooring balls at Marina Cay, that we observed, were on the south west end of the mooring field. Also, Marina Cay, is a nice base for a 30 minute motor
over to Monkey Point , Guana island, for snorkeling. ( free N.P. Moorings for 1.5 hrs. )

Have fun.

I think he can still get a slip there. His question was if the discount is still applied. I believe others have said on previous threads that they don't offer it anymore.

I chartered out of Scrub with an Owner's Time charter on a DYC boat in late May. Our last night before turning the boat in was at Marina Cay. We also saw them shuffling several boats to anchor south of the MC mooring field. My assumption at the time was that they were either making room for boats renting slips or just shuffling boats to get certain ones ready to go out for charter and getting other ones out of the way. Again, that was just my assumption.
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 02:07 PM

This time of year, the cost for a slip is about 1.50/ft.......plus a small resort fee that gives access to all of the bars,, restaurants, beach, kayaks, and other activites.
Including hiking up that trail to the top of hill. Killer view.

Sounded great to us, and we investigated the location of their few 35 ft. slips, knew where they were located, and how many they had and planned on enjoying a couple of days at Scrub.
. We were not thinking of a discount .

As mentioned, when we saw all of those Dream Charter and other vessels at Scrub, , filling up the whole marina, , we just decided to pass and head for peaceful marina cay.
Plus, we had been partying on the Willy T, and then at Leverick Bay for their bbq, and band jump up....going into a mobbed and busy marina was not in our plan .

What the OP might do, is get on the Scrub Island website, with contact numbers and reservation information and be all set when he arrives on a specific date, .
They also have a map of the marina slips and locations for lengths of boats that can be helpful.

Being ahead of the power curve, and be guaranteed slip space might be a good plan..

Scrub looks like a lot of fun, and many different activities to enjoy as well.

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 02:17 PM

They used to offer discounts to members of this message board. He's simply asking if it's still offered.
Posted By: aarpskier

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 02:41 PM

Son had slip at Scrub for one night, second week of June, reserved in advance. No discount available.
Posted By: Lcrich

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 02:57 PM

If you take a mooring ball at Marina Cay and grab a free ferry to Scrub, what is the charge to use their pool and resort?
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 02:58 PM

I believe the resort fee at Scrub is $30/day/person. That would be $240 for an 8-person cat. That’s a lot of painkillers!

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
I believe the resort fee at Scrub is $30/day/person. That would be $240 for an 8-person cat. That’s a lot of painkillers!

In 2015 we were just charged the slip fee + shore power. In 2018 we were with another boat and the other boat paid, but I think it was just slip fee + shore power. In 2019 there was no charge since we were with DYC.
Posted By: Rush

Re: Scrub Island - 07/02/2019 04:38 PM

That has been our experience twice in the past year. They did not charge the resort fee.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Scrub Island - 07/03/2019 12:12 AM

We had a slip at scrub on Saturday. It was not easy. The marina is essentially full with DYC boats. We were told Friday and Saturday are pretty much hopeless because that's when most of the boats turn. We eventually got a slip but not until 5.00 when it was clear they would have the space.

There are no ttol discounts but we did receive the summer rate of 1.50/ft.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline