TravelTalkOnline

Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas

Posted By: Bri Cin MD

Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/07/2019 10:40 PM

Why doesn’t the private water taxi’s pick you up in charlotte amalie area, St. Thomas and take you to West End Tortola BVI?

Is there a rule or law against this?

Only looks like about a 12 mile difference.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/07/2019 11:07 PM

Usually water taxis will pick you up wherever you want that’s their business
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/08/2019 12:24 PM

The one's I've contacted said you taxi from STT/CA to Red Hook and they pick you up there.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/08/2019 12:28 PM

All of them I dealt with will only pick you up in Red Hook. I think it had to do with customs.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/08/2019 02:07 PM

Probably more to do with distance and gas.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/08/2019 03:12 PM

It more than doubles the normal 22 mile run from Red Hook to West End and return.
Posted By: Flotsam

Re: Why doesn’t water taxi pick you up in charlotte amalie st. thomas - 08/08/2019 03:17 PM

It's just a matter of efficiency. It's (usually) faster to drive from CA to Red Hook than to motor along the entire south coast of St. Thomas, saves fuel and hours on the marine engines, and frequently that can be a rather rough patch of water and not much fun for folks who may or may not be boaters and used to such rides. Or to put it another way, let the taxi cabs do what they can do, use the boats to do what only a boat can do.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline