TravelTalkOnline

Cat Wifi

Posted By: RacerRon

Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 10:20 AM

Is the Wifi on most charter boats good enough to run music streaming apps such as Pandora, Spotify, and Soggy Dollar Radio?

Thanks, RW
Posted By: bailau

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 10:51 AM

Yes...
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 10:58 AM

However last time we were down, Pandora doesn’t work internationally. Have things changed with the streaming services?
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 11:40 AM

We are land based on Jost, we use Iheart radio's "offline" feature which essentially turns the app into a favorites playlist.
Posted By: ligot

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 01:55 PM

We had the same issue with Pandora so we make sure to download playlists. Regarding wifi we have sort of a little of everything approach. We've had good luck with international plan from Verizon but don't want to pay for it on both phones. Being self employed I pay for it on my phone and we also set up the wifi that TMM provides for crew. Having both is mostly about peace of mind.
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 04:53 PM

We've found that the coverage for our phones (AT&T) is so good there's no reason to have wifi anymore. For $10 a day (and only on the days you use it), AT&T automatically allows it. You can then use the device you have on as a hot spot.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 06:48 PM

Correct, Pandora hasn’t worked for us in BVI, Abacos, or Croatia on our last trips.

Apple Music did work wonderfully for us last month in Croatia, both on land and in the islands. Apple Music was running a free (three?)month promotion recently too. I downloaded songs and created playlists over there from hotel WiFi and boat hotspot. It wasn’t very responsive from 2G LTE T-Mobile though. But T-Mobile remains a good option when traveling international.

Btw, Moorings free WiFi hot spot also worked just great for us in Croatia too. I don’t think any of is streamed, just downloaded music to devices and then connected to boat system via Bluetooth. We never turned on the TV, never would on a boat!
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 07:53 PM

To answer the original question we’ve always found the WiFi on TMM boats to be more than adequate. Except on Anegada - it’s pretty spotty there but so was general data usage on my phone (through ATT)

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/20/2019 08:26 PM

i wonder why Pandora doesnt work...we used Spotify (there are some good BVI playlists) and Soggy Dollar Radio extensively
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/21/2019 12:04 AM

Thanks everyone for the useful info!

Boat tunes are a big deal! smile

RW
Posted By: jphart

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/21/2019 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by bailau
i wonder why Pandora doesnt work...we used Spotify (there are some good BVI playlists) and Soggy Dollar Radio extensively

ASCAP and BMI license issues

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/21/2019 12:22 PM

thanks...
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/22/2019 10:37 AM

You could always install a VPN on your phone, tell it you are in the USA, then try Pandora and see if it works. Should do. I don't have a specific VPN to recommend but I've tried several, usually just signing up for a free trial, and most work just fine.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Cat Wifi - 08/22/2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jeannius
You could always install a VPN on your phone, tell it you are in the USA, then try Pandora and see if it works. Should do. I don't have a specific VPN to recommend but I've tried several, usually just signing up for a free trial, and most work just fine.

I have been using “Phone Guardian” for years,it has a Husky Dog as an icon. It’s totally free and never had a problem.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline