TravelTalkOnline

Abaco "like" vacation spots?

Posted By: CottageGirl

Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 05:21 PM

We had planned a vacation to the Abacos for March 2020 and put a deposit down on a house rental. Given the recent circumstances, it does not appear we will be going there. From the looks of the devastation it will be quite some time before the islands become inhabitable. We spent a week on Green Turtle Cay last year and loved the islands and her people. We will definitely be going back, just not this next spring.

Which brings me to this question - where to go? Obviously we can go to the BVI's - we will already be there late January 2020 sailing - but am looking for another location with the ease of island hopping in a small (25-28') boat rental. Does such a place exist?

All ideas welcome!
Julie
Posted By: DuxDweller

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 05:56 PM

Hi Julie! Not necessarily a boating vacation - but STJ and the Abacos have some commonality IMO. Laid back locals - not "resorty" - beautiful beaches and water. Just a thought.

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 06:02 PM

Dux - yup! We’ve been to STJ many times - always camped at Mahoe Bay and loved it! Looking for some way to get out on the water a bit without doing a full on bareboat charter. It’s my husband and I and our son & girlfriend.
Posted By: DuxDweller

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 06:06 PM

Miss Maho and Concordia too! Stayed last Christmas at a nice little villa on Gifft Hill and really loved it.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 06:09 PM

I don't know that there is a lot of boating, but I've been looking into Anguilla. It seems like a small, laid back island. There are some very expensive hotels, but also some more reasonable places too. I was looking at either Shoal Bay Villas or Turtles Nest. Both have 1 and 2 bedroom villas.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 06:27 PM

There are many other "out islands" in the Bahamas that are all equally gorgeous, our favorite is Exuma. Research the "out islands".

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 07:19 PM

Am "down the rabbit hole" now googling the out islands! Looks amazing and I'm finding some great looking Airbnb rentals on Exhuma.
What is the day boating island to island like there?

(PS: Sorry I know this isn't specifically BVI related .....)
Posted By: raysfan03

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 08:28 PM

I just returned from the Exumas two weeks ago. We were on a power yacht, but saw many opportunities to rent houses. Check out Staniel Cay, Black Point Cay and Norman Cay.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 10:09 PM

As mentioned, there are other out islands that didn’t have damage. (I follow someone on Instagram that lives on Exuma)

We really liked Anguilla. We never ate so good on vacation, the restaurants are fabulous. The island is fancier than the VIs but there is something for everyone there.

Check into Barbuda. More rentals are coming back on line and the island certainly can use the tourist dollars. We visited in Feb 2017 and it was a dream trip. Wonderful people and completely undeveloped.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/05/2019 11:28 PM

The Abacos had a problem with looting and they sent in the Bahama defense and they robbed and looted.
What else is new in the islands of love?
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/06/2019 12:35 AM

Western Puerto Rico has some great places to stay and a big number of boating destinations to explore.
Culebra or Vieques are also good options to stay and boat from.
You might find that sailing the Spanish Virgins are a wonderful change of pace for your next charter too!!
Posted By: Bilge_Idiot

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/06/2019 03:41 AM

Following... We love the Abacos and they were a top contender for a summer 2020 trip until now. 🙁
Posted By: Annoddddd

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/07/2019 01:12 AM

We loved Exuma and the opportunity to rent a center console for a day or two. The house was awesome too.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/07/2019 03:37 AM

Exumas are great, but you need access to a powerboat to explore. Anguilla is also great, and you just need a rental car.
Posted By: Schwendy

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/07/2019 02:02 PM

I too recommend exploring the Out Islands but keep in mind they are all very different from Abacos and each other. Exumas are good. Staniel cay not a lot to do. Once you go see the pigs, the nurse sharks and the 007 grotto, not much to do by boat unless you like to fish. Georgetown on Exuma is probably a better option. You can rent small power boats and go to Stocking Island and a few deserted beaches but it's just day boating and returning in the late afternoon. It has built up some in the past years and like all the islands, it has changed. Thanks HGTV.

Eluethera - lot's of house options but you need a car and it's a long island, hard to explore without driving all day. Didn't have the atmosphere I like. Not on my list to ever go back to.

Cat Island - very remote but two small airports. No boat rentals but you can go out with someone. Fishing and diving for conch, lobster is great! Super nice beaches and friendly people. I love cat island! Also need a car, it's long but doable. Both ends of the island are very cool.

Anguilla - Been there 3 times. Actually got married there. Again, it has changed a lot. Crime is worse, some of the more affordable places are more expensive now and more run down. Carimar was a nice beach hotel. Food, like other's have said is the best I've had but expensive. No boat rentals but you can go out with someone for a day. Can take the ferry over to St. Maarten or a small plane over to Saba. Saba is a volcanic mountain. No boats or beaches but it's beautiful and great to spend two days there. Best diving around! Hope that helps.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/07/2019 06:56 PM

The Exumas are best enjoyed on a boat.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/07/2019 08:47 PM

Anegada is the nearest to Abaco

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/09/2019 02:36 PM

All great options - thanks! I think we’ve settled on Exuma - looking to chill out, snorkel, explore a bit. Found a great looking Airbnb rental that comes with paddle boards, kayaks and ability to rent a 15’ Boston whaler.

*GordaGuy - we spent a week on Anegada this last Feb at Ann’s cottages. Loved it!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/09/2019 04:26 PM

FYI, all rentals on Great Camanoe include a boat, often a Whaler.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/09/2019 07:15 PM

We need to venture over to Ann's cottages and check it out.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Abaco "like" vacation spots? - 09/10/2019 12:13 PM

Ann's cottages are spacious and beautifully decorated. She really did a nice job and I hope she does very well with them. Of course the location is equally amazing.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline