TravelTalkOnline

Transportation from STT to the Bight

Posted By: FesserNohair

Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/22/2019 07:51 PM

Our charter on Scuba Doo out of TMM/Road Town starts with Evening Aboard on 6/2/20. Four of our crew, however, will arrive STT mid-afternoon on 6/3. The question: how do we get them from STT to us on the BVI side late afternoon or early evening 6/3? (We're expecting to hear from you on this, Warren.)

They will need to clear customs into BVI somewhere, won't they? Are the usual suspects still Road Town, West End, and Jost?

We'd rather not go back to Road Town on 6/3 because we will have just left there that morning. We'd love to wait for them at the Bight, but as far as I know they can't clear into the BVI on Norman Island. The alternatives seem to be a late ferry (or a water taxi) to West End where we would meet them and overnight. Or is it practical to clear in at West End and then continue on by water taxi to the Bight? Or is it possible to ferry or water taxi to Jost in the late afternoon?

Or I suppose they could fly from STT to EIS, and walk over to Trellis Bay to meet us there. We did that once about 10 years ago. Last and probably least likely, what about us picking them up in STT? We'd have 8 crew to get into and out of STT in addition to the latecomers, so that sounds like a bad idea.

Anybody got any feedback or other suggestions?
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/22/2019 10:38 PM

Ocean Dreams water taxi from STT to Norman, via a check in prob the West End. Not cheap, but at least it doesn't cut into your trip. My second best option would be to have them fly into EIS.
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/22/2019 10:42 PM

Request the new blue boat, super fast!

Attached picture OD Water Taxi.jpg
Posted By: warren460

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/22/2019 11:32 PM

The west end ferry terminal was supposed to be operational last August.

https://www.bvitraveller.com/west-end-ferry-terminal-now-open/

So depending on their arrival time in stt, it may be easy to get them to west end.

Assuming that WE is open, how about you spend your day at the Norman and later in the afternoon move to west end.

They could do a water taxi and get them to Norman Island, however, I would guess that might cost around $250 pp or perhaps more but not likely less.

There is a ferry from stt to jost.

https://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_stt_jost.htm

The schedule is quite limited.

I would also ask Kevin to share his wisdom. I would be that he has a solution.

The beef island option is still viable. However, I would not pick them up there due to time constraints.

There may be an option to ferry to We, road town or to fly to EIS and meet you by taxi at cane garden Bay.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/23/2019 03:58 PM

The West End ferry is open and has been for quite a while.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/23/2019 07:34 PM

Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Scooby takes a ball in Great Harbor, Jost. Late crew contract with a water taxi for passage from St. Thomas to Great Harbor. Late crew checks in at C&I with de facto Cap'n of Scooby right there and all is well.

IF for some reason C&I in GH is closed, then the late crew checks in the next morning ASAP, and all is well with that, too. Great Harbor is likely the best and easiest C&I point to do this in the entire territory.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/23/2019 08:54 PM

Breeze, I agree with you, but, if they can make the regular ferry then they could easily meet at Cane Garden Bay, a less expensive option and also a nice place to spend the night.

Both are nice destinations, I think its just a difference in price and depends on the arrival at STT and if the late ferry proposal goes through.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Transportation from STT to the Bight - 10/24/2019 12:03 AM

Warren, a full result on the good side of < this can happen without being an international incident> is where everyone wants it to go. Neither you, nor I nor the folks paying up for transport right now have any influence with BVI C&I other than to make nice and be easy in the easiest place.

Scooby is your investment. At least that is what I understand. If Poker is not a game I play, if you are invested in that, then no one outside of your close community has any trust in you.

© 2024 TravelTalkOnline