TravelTalkOnline

Second timer questions

Posted By: Philggct

Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 03:09 PM

We are down the last week of February for our second charter with TMM with 4 couples. Last year we went Norman, Peter, Cooper, Baths (at 8 a.m.), Leverick, Guana, JVD and last night back at Norman.

Great time last year and this year we have plans to go to Anegada. Our rough early week plan Kelly’s Cove, Leverick and then two nights at Anegada. What type of wind and wave conditions would stop you from making the sail Leverick to/from Anegada? Also, on island, cabs, car or mopeds? I can’t find the thread with the operators name for a snorkeling trip that we would like to do there. Can someone post the name/link again?

For the rest of the trip, we are thinking about snorkeling some different places. Any recommendations? Is Fallen Jerusalem good in the right conditions? How has Monkey Point been recently? Is snorkeling over the Rhône good?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 03:52 PM

On Anegada, I would rent a car from Dean Wheatley.

The snorkeling trip dude is Sherwin Walcott with Team Work Charters.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 05:15 PM

I would avoid renting scooters on Anegada...too many have ended up hurt that way. With your group, as Chris said, I'd rent from Dean and get a pickup with bench seats.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 06:37 PM

Unless there is a tropical storm you can make it to Anegada without issue. It’s 2 hours or less from North Sound. The slog from Anegada to JVD is much longer and more likely to cause seasickness.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 07:11 PM

Scooters plus sand equals shortened vacation and medical bills!
G
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 08:56 PM

Totally agree with rental from Dean. Truck with benches works great. Leave North Sound early. Into Anegada mid morning. Can go one of several "routes' on Anegada.... Cow Wreck beach for lunch is my favorite as the view cannot be beat. But also go to Loblolly and Flash of Beauty.. But before you set out, place order for dinner at one of the restaurants. Wonky Dog , Anegada Reef hotel, Potter's are three favorites but haven't tried them all...yet.

Definitely stay away from scooters. Notice that the road conditions include san and rocks... combined with inexperienced scooter driver, add a passenger, throw in a few rum drinks, and tragedy can happen (several years ago it was posted here about a severe head injury, maybe even fatal, and that appeared to not include alcohol or passenger, just bad luck. Much more common is scrapes and broken arms (which pretty much will ruin vacation). So stick with truck (for 8 people) and cautious driver. Should never really be over 30 mph.

The trip over can be a little more adventuresome in higher winds, but since crew will have several days under their belt, not usually an issue. The run down wind either back to the channel or down to JVD is highly enjoyable/ smooth even with higher winds.

Snorkel trip with Sherwin Walcott is awesome!
Posted By: ligot

Re: Second timer questions - 12/14/2019 11:38 PM

You guys are scaring me. We've done scooters each time and loved it. Have to admit one of the crew scared us a bit after some rum at Loblolly by speeding on the way to Cow Wreck. She never cracked up that road goes from paved to dirt and can be a little dangerous.

Maybe a truck next time. smile
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 03:41 AM

Did the scooters recently and had a fun time, including the occasional powdery sand.
Posted By: Redbeard

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 04:10 AM

We were on Anegada last month and did the scooters all over the island. The roads are a little beat up in places and that sandy stretch up to Anegada Beach Club is not something I would recommend as your maiden voyage or if you are inexperienced. It could literally wreck your vacation. I've spent quite a bit of time on a motorcycle but those scooters are a handful in the sand especially with a passenger. Got to say Anegada was one of the most beautiful places i have visited and we had a blast!
Posted By: Philggct

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the responses. They have been helpful.
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 02:42 PM

We (2 couples) rented a Moke while on Anegada a few weeks back, and it served us very well! Your group could get a couple of them, then split up for awhile if you wanted.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 03:48 PM

Great to see they are making Mokes again ..I had an original 1965 Moke when I lived in London..great fun!
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 04:43 PM

We rented 2 Mokes at ARH last May. Highly recommend.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Second timer questions - 12/15/2019 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Great to see they are making Mokes again ..I had an original 1965 Moke when I lived in London..great fun!

At that time period till the mid 70’s they were renting the Mini Mokes in St Thomas until the new stricter regulations made them illegal.
Posted By: Kryssa

Re: Second timer questions - 12/17/2019 09:42 PM

We rented the new electric Moke when we were there in November. That will be our preference going forward - and I ride a scooter at home so I'm certainly not scared of going that way. The Moke was just a better fit (safety, shade, capacity)
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Second timer questions - 12/17/2019 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by RacerRon
We (2 couples) rented a Moke while on Anegada a few weeks back, and it served us very well! Your group could get a couple of them, then split up for awhile if you wanted.

Ron, do they limit where you can drive the Moke's? I was told that route from Loblolly to Cow Wreck was forbidden due to the low clearance of the Moke's. I question whether that is true or not. I drove that route in November and thought the road was smoother than in the past.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Second timer questions - 12/18/2019 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
Originally Posted by RacerRon

Ron, do they limit where you can drive the Moke's? I was told that route from Loblolly to Cow Wreck was forbidden due to the low clearance of the Moke's. I question whether that is true or not. I drove that route in November and thought the road was smoother than in the past.

In May, they would not let us travel past ABC going east from Cow Wreck.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline