TravelTalkOnline

Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed

Posted By: Jeannius

Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 04:26 PM

Hi all... Friends of mine are making a first trip to the BVI and asking for my recommendations. I haven't been to the BVI since Irma so my knowledge is rather out of date! We used to love going to The Dove, Bananakeet and Brandywine when needing decent food. I know The Dove is no more but what about Bananakeet and Brandywine? I believe they are open but are they as good as they were 5-10 years ago?

Entertainment... I'll be sending them to The Elm for Sunday night but where else has regular entertainment? They have a few days before picking up a boat from TMM and heading out for 10 days.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 04:43 PM

Hi Mike
The Dove is open again, but we haven't tried it since.
We ate at Bananakeet in June and it was great as usual.
Other good ones are Omar's Fusion, the Sugar Mill, De Coal Pot, Gene's & Quitos.

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 04:46 PM

Thanks Chris. Do you know if the Dove is under original ownership?
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 04:47 PM

Second what Chris said..for those who have not been back to Tortola for a while know that The Sugar Mill has new owners , a new management team and a whole new attitude and remodel with terrific food..especially upstairs for dinner. Also Omar's Fusion is new and where Scaramouche used to be..terrific, real Indian cuisine as well as a variety of other dishes for those not into Indian.

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 04:54 PM

Hi Mal... Are you on island end of December beginning of January? Our friends arrive I think 29th December, 4 days at Lambert then 10 days on a boat.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 08:02 PM

Probably wont be back til mid end of Jan..sadly!You and Jean need to return!!

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 10:15 PM

Been hoping to get back to see you and Candace for 5 years now. Unfortunately as my parents have been permanently near death's door our travel is severely restricted so we only take vacations close to home and that we can afford to cancel. We'll see you when we can toast
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 10:55 PM

Mike, we're in the same boat with my Mom. We were hoping to get back to the BVI in Feb., but it looks like it's not gonna happen.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/16/2019 11:56 PM

The Dove is great. I'm not sure who the original owners were but I believe it is now owned by the same folks at Coco Maya on Virgin Gorda.

Also worth a mention is the Rooftop by Brandywine in Road Town. Great steak night on Saturdays!!

Georgio's Fantasia is another favorite that I haven't seen mentioned yet but I'll second Quito's, Gene's, Tramonti, Da Coal Pot, and Brandywine.

If they want a great beach lunch some day, send them to see Patricia at Smuggler's. She's doing a great job out there!!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/17/2019 01:28 AM

Gene's will be closed over the holidays.

Re: Tortola Restaurant Updates Needed - 12/17/2019 07:29 AM

Thanks Jason. I've checked out the Dove website and it looks like new owners but the same philosophy. Certainly looks worth a try.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline