TravelTalkOnline

Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI

Posted By: tpcook

Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI - 01/14/2020 01:56 PM

I understand there is a underwater volcano 30 miles from the VI Don't know much more. Any comments?
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI - 01/14/2020 02:56 PM

Other than the 'Kick em Jenny' active volcano I have not heard of others. Near Grenada.
This site may give you some better info if you inquire:
http://uwiseismic.com/Default.aspx

You may find this interesting too:

https://issuu.com/bvibeacon/docs/tortola_environmental_profile/203
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI - 01/14/2020 03:57 PM

Yes. It is the Noroit Seamount. About 25nm ESE of South Sound Villa. 18.183N 64.066W Appears recently dormant with some evidence of activity within the past 500 years or so.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI - 01/15/2020 05:16 PM

I have fished that seamount, glad it has not been active of late, I did think the water temperature was warmer than surrounding though.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI - 01/16/2020 02:28 AM

I think it is closer to the surface than Kickem' Jenny. It is aparently not a subduction formed volcano like the others further south but a spreading fault. That would imply more flowing lava than explosive.
The real threat from that direction is a major earthquake and tsunami. The PR/VI micro-plate is rotating counter clockwise relative to St. Martin/Anguilla/Saba and the bottom of the Anegada passage is stretching. The Anegada Trough is an extension of the Muertos Fault system (a branch of which is causing the Puerto Rico quakes) and It has been locked up since before 1867. The great quake and tsunami of 1867 occured at joining point of the two fault systems.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Underwater volcano 30 miles from VI - 01/16/2020 10:51 PM

When that moves my pool which is 50 ft above sea level will be full of rubble.!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline