TravelTalkOnline

Original Moorings Location?

Posted By: OceanSong

Original Moorings Location? - 01/21/2020 07:21 PM

Does anyone know the original location of The Moorings base and the Francis Drake Pub? The reason for the question is a recent conversation with a former resident of Tortola. He lived in Road Town during the late 60's to mid-80's. He was describing the original location of The Moorings but I couldn't determine if he was describing the Fort Burt area, essentially where the Conch Charter docks are now, or a location close to Village Cay. He also gave the Francis Drake Pub as a landmark. I thought that might be approximately where The Pub is now. I found a brief article online, published at the time of Charlie Cary's death in 2007, that also mentioned The Moorings being located beside the Francis Drake Pub and in front of the "new" waterfront condominiums (Circa 1969).

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum knows for sure.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Original Moorings Location? - 01/21/2020 08:10 PM

Could you mean the original Sunsail base in Hodges Creek ? I purchased my first boat there and shortly thereafter they merged with Moorings and moved to Road Town.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Original Moorings Location? - 01/21/2020 08:14 PM

The original Moorings was next to the Pub, from the street side it was to the left when facing the Pub.
Posted By: bigbone

Re: Original Moorings Location? - 01/21/2020 09:12 PM

On our First Charter 1993, sunsail was located in sopers hole.
Posted By: OceanSong

Re: Original Moorings Location? - 01/21/2020 09:22 PM

sail445 seems to have answered the question. I was definitely trying to determine the original location of The Moorings. I found one old photo and I now recognize the condos that are to the left of The Pub, when looking from the street. The docks behind the condos are part of the original location of The Moorings.

Thank you sail445!
Posted By: sail445

Re: Original Moorings Location? - 01/21/2020 10:21 PM

You’re welcome 😁
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline