TravelTalkOnline

Fun quiz..

Posted By: Manpot

Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 12:58 AM

Which BVI restaurant deserves the slogan " If you think our service is bad..wait til you taste our food!" We know the ones we love ..lets have some fun with the ones that we dont think so much of..all in good fun. We'll be working on a "gift" for the best answer..And " All of them" wont work!
Posted By: warren460

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 12:03 PM

Peg legs pre Irma
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 01:41 PM

Foxy's BBQ
Posted By: bailau

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 02:24 PM

+1 Foxys BBQ
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 03:04 PM

Pirates
Posted By: CaptnAndy

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 03:42 PM

Hog Heaven
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 03:50 PM

Foxy’s....
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 04:31 PM

Pusser's
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 04:59 PM

I kinda feel like it would be “Taboo” for me to say! wink
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 04:59 PM

Pusser's +1
Posted By: OceanSong

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 05:03 PM

Pusser's
Posted By: Aries4

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 05:05 PM

Pussers Road Town... pulling ahead of the pack.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 06:21 PM

All veeery interesting..and no one yet has named my #1 spot ( I'll stay out of it as I have to live here!)..kind of agree with some of the others though!
Posted By: IWIWSE

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 06:45 PM

We've always had good service and the view is
fantastic, but i have to agree with the good Cap'n.
I don't care for the BBQ at Hog Heaven

Mike

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by IWIWSE
We've always had good service and the view is
fantastic, but i have to agree with the good Cap'n.
I don't care for the BBQ at Hog Heaven

Mike

Is there good BBQ outside of North Carolina?!?!? grin
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 06:59 PM

Hmmm, now Mal's got me thinking???? confused
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 07:56 PM

While the live music is great, "The Elm" BBQ certainly will not rate amongst Epicures.
Posted By: Slug

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 08:07 PM

Add another on to Foxy's BBQ. We tried it once again last March and in no time, asking ourselves how many times we have to be hit on the head.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 08:22 PM

Sebastian's
Posted By: IWIWSE

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/26/2020 09:14 PM

Ndfaninnc,

sent you a pm
Posted By: DanS

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/27/2020 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
Is there good BBQ outside of North Carolina?!?!? grin

Wow, any Texans here want to take exception?

Dan (not a Texan) cheers
Posted By: warren460

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/27/2020 01:46 AM

I want to try Frankins
Posted By: CaptnAndy

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/27/2020 01:54 AM

Harris Place
Posted By: Karl John

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/27/2020 06:18 PM

Had a remarkable dinner and one of best filets ever at Spiga last month . I would highly recommend !
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/27/2020 06:39 PM

Karl--I think perhaps you intended to post this on the SXM forum??
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/27/2020 11:51 PM

Long gone 10 years but my candidate would be the C&F. Service was atrocious but Clarance's ribs were to die for. (Of course you mignt die before the ribs got to the table. )
Posted By: sail445

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/28/2020 12:10 AM

Actually the service in the Majority of restaurants in the BVI are equivalent to either sitting in a Morgue or a Funeral parlor.
Posted By: sunman60

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/28/2020 11:12 AM

so a friend of mine has been a restauranteur all his life & the quality of service, non changing of cutlery and 20-25% 'service charge' (hold on, there was no service smile ) drives him potty, it's similar in Greece; fact is you have to adjust, this isn't London, or New York so you have to adjust your expectations accordingly.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/28/2020 11:43 AM

True..but, even in the BVI's , some places are much better with service and food than others..and often for the same or similar prices.BTW 15% service charge seems to be the norm..and some still dont charge it ( thanks for a great meal and service last night at Omar's Fusion with no service charge).
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/28/2020 10:39 PM

Finally had lunch at Omar’s Fusion today. Pepperoni pizza was awful; Caesar salad and lobster quesadilla were okay. Service was glacial and there was an automatic 15% service charge added.

On the plus side, location is terrific. The couple next to us had Indian food, which was very good. Next time I would try that (not my favorite cuisine) or just get a burger.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/29/2020 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
Finally had lunch at Omar’s Fusion today. Pepperoni pizza was awful; Caesar salad and lobster quesadilla were okay. Service was glacial and there was an automatic 15% service charge added.

On the plus side, location is terrific. The couple next to us had Indian food, which was very good. Next time I would try that (not my favorite cuisine) or just get a burger.

Don't get the burger unless you like the frozen puck style burgers. Go for the Indian food...
Posted By: SoggyDollarScott

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/29/2020 04:03 PM

Confused here....... are you asking ‘bad service and the food is worse’ ?? Or ‘bad service but the food is good and it’s an offset’ ??

Re: Fun quiz.. - 02/29/2020 06:49 PM

I only eat the extremely good Indian at "Omar's Fusion"..usually Lamb Vindaloo..sometimes Chicken Tikka Masala..highly recommend trying their Nepalese Momos..as good as we get at our Himalayan restaurant in Sonoma..Back to the quiz.."If you think our service is bad..wait til you taste our food!"
Posted By: calsail

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 01:57 PM

I’ve been trying it for years. Think I’m Charlie Brown

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 01:58 PM

I’m still waiting for the brisket I ordered there in 1993
Posted By: joeboo

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 02:12 PM

Glen A is right. We have been looking for years and years ever since C & f closed.
Nothing has come close
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 03:15 PM

Has to be Willie T for sure right?

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 03:38 PM

Malcolm, what do you mean “back to the quiz”? My vote was Omar’s: extremely long wait and then lousy food! Very short, stocky waitress who basically abandoned the customers when kids came in after school.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident

True...but I dont think you go the Willie T expecting anything good except the crowd?

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/01/2020 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bailau
Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident

True...but I dont think you go the Willie T expecting anything good except the crowd?

100% agree

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/05/2020 05:50 PM

Has anybody eaten on Scrub Island? any good?

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/05/2020 06:36 PM

We have lunch sometimes at Scrub’s outdoor restaurant. Food is okay, service is decent, and prices are on par with other BVI restaurants. I think the angus burger with fries is $16.
Posted By: ligot

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/07/2020 01:15 PM

I'm with Baillau, I'm at Willy T for rum and a jump off the back, any food is a bonus.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/07/2020 03:46 PM

I haven't eaten at the Willy T in a long time but the food used to be good. Much better than you would expect. And based on the kitchen staff that I know is there now, I'd guess it's even better. For anyone that used to like Fish n Lime, it's their old kitchen staff.
Posted By: knitsoftwear

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/08/2020 09:45 PM

I have had lunch there several times and it was descent, also had the rum and a jump. I think fish and chips once, and either a wrap or a roti. went with a group excursion and it was handled well
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/09/2020 07:35 PM

I always like the Willy T food...but the three guys smoking Cheech & Chong sized joints at the first middle table all night really made the place stink. It really was too much...surprising since it was so windy.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/10/2020 10:09 PM

I'm with you, Jason. I was always happy with the food on the Willy T 2 and marveled at the great job they did in that one-man tiny kitchen. Haven't been on the WT3.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/12/2020 10:24 AM

It’s been 10 years and I’m still waiting for my brisket dinner.
Posted By: KimberlySea

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/13/2020 04:25 PM

The view is so beautiful at hog haven I can’t even remember what the food tasted like. Except the potato salad was delish. I vote for pussers Road Town

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/13/2020 04:38 PM

I broke my own cardinal rule the other night. The restaurant where I had the worst eggs benedict of my whole life (it made an Egg Mc Muffin look gourmet and believe me that would have tasted so much better) was advertising "Shepherd Pie" ( their spelling..a change from the last time when it was "Shepard pie) no doubt named after my good buddy Shepard Smith. Anyway we risked dinner..worst Shepherd's pie I have ever had..a dried out square of meat and warm potato. Now I know why Americans knock British cuisine..nothing like a good Shepherd's pie..nothing worse than that one the other night..we''ll maybe their eggs benedict. Wont name the place as I live here....but many will work it out!

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/13/2020 05:23 PM

I know that place
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/14/2020 07:31 PM

How about extending the fun to shops in the BVI? Where have you tried to buy something and had a terrible experience?

We were in Sopers Hole last week. My wife tried to buy a t-shirt from the little shop right next to Pussers (I don't recall the name) - a shop clearly geared to sell things to non belongers. Each time she tried to engage with the store clerk she turned her back and kept talking (clearly personal business) on the phone. After several minutes of trying to buy something she gave up, put the credit card back in her pocket, dragged her friend with her (who also wanted to buy something) and left the store. I have no doubt my wife will never go in that store again. I feel a bit sorry for the store owner but on the other hand they must have some clue.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/15/2020 12:53 AM

Don’t you know that the shop is reserved for special appointment only. smile

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/20/2020 02:03 PM

Update: we returned to Omar's two weeks ago. My brother, who loves Indian food, had the lamb vindaloo, which he said was very good. Ratman had the eggplant and I had the okra, which I love and RM won't eat. Both dishes were good and not too spicy.

Service was very slow, and they added a 15% service charge. My brother, who paid, didn't notice it and added 20%. When I pointed it out, he was unhappy, and had them re-do the bill without his added tip. Maybe they will realize they are better off letting people decide their own tip!

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/20/2020 03:19 PM

I HATE service charges but they are all over the BVI's now..and it really chaps my a$$ when they have that recommended tip thing on the bill. I usually throw in an extra $5 but I know many who wont add anything if there is a service charge. Some need to remember that "Tips" meant To Insure Prompt Service..

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/21/2020 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Manpot
I HATE service charges but they are all over the BVI's now..and it really chaps my a$$ when they have that recommended tip thing on the bill. I usually throw in an extra $5 but I know many who wont add anything if there is a service charge. Some need to remember that "Tips" meant To Insure Prompt Service..

The service charge is a total ripoff out there because the service is sub standard.
How many time out of 10 have you had prompt courteous service?
The answer is a maybe 1

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/21/2020 12:51 PM

you could debate tipping all day; in the UK where I live it's become the norm to add a 12.5% 'discretionary' service charge, & if you didn't like the service it's ok to reduce it or not pay it at all; I've lived in all sorts of places, in Portugal tipping isn't expected at all, the locals don't pay it, tourists often do & it's accepted; I lived in NYC for a while back in the day, the guideline then was to tip double the tax and you got chased down the street if you didn't leave that; I was golfing in Kiawah Island once, I walked in for the hotel breakfast & a waiter asked me to sign the check, I was like 'what are you talking about? I haven't even sat down yet!'
is there 'service' in the BVI or the Caribbean in general? depends what you mean, half the trouble is folk expect it to be what it is 'at home', and probably it's going to fall short in most instances.
so we all pitch up, expect to pay $100 a head if we're talking lobster for instance & that's ok, Potters for instance sometimes serve 150 people in a sitting, do the math on that one. but I guess tonight they will sell none, and that's the way for the next few months so I'm hoping they all keep well cos there's no income for a while in the whole trade globally.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/21/2020 02:45 PM

The worst part of the service charge in the BVI is the server doesn't get all of it. One of the very popular places takes the service charge (and any additional gratuity) and will only give the server up to $4/hr over their $6/hr salary. So, the server gets a maximum of $10/hr no matter how great of a job they do and how much of a tip they get.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/21/2020 02:57 PM

Jason, please name and shame, because that is crazy. Moorings had a "service charge" that went entirely to the kitchen staff. We try to always tip in cash and hand it to the server.

Re: Fun quiz.. - 03/21/2020 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
Jason, please name and shame, because that is crazy. Moorings had a "service charge" that went entirely to the kitchen staff. We try to always tip in cash and hand it to the server.
they have cameras and the staff is instructed they must turn over cash tips.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline