TravelTalkOnline

Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol...

Posted By: GeorgiaGirl2

Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 08:10 PM

There is an article on 285 Media that, pending approval, the following would apply to BVI travel:

1. a negative covid test uploaded to an app that's currently being developed.
2. ANOTHER covid test upon arrival to the BVI
3. Quarantine in one location x 4 days
3. THEN ANOTHER COVID test...if all three are negative
4. Then wear a wristband that tracks movements for the duration of the visit.

This has not yet (but probably will) be approved by the cabinet soon.

All of this makes a charter vacation that we have scheduled for the end of January VERY unlikely :-( I would love to get back to the BVI soon and dump some $ in to their economy but maybe we should be looking at a more distant horizon...2023?

What do you all think about this protocol?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 08:25 PM

It is unworkable for tourists and there is no point in the BVI bothering to reopen.
G
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 08:43 PM

The current protocol is something that I could not support nor would I allow my villa guests to stay at the villa with the current protocol. It requires a huge change. I think the current government should resign and the BVI start all over. SAD!!!
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 09:03 PM

IF, the above new story from "284 Media" is correct information, then it is too cumbersome and tourist from outside the BVI will not come.

As a homeowner, coming in for an extended period, I would be happy to comply with the proposed protocol so that we can get back to our villa.

I do not see our guests, loyal as they are, wanting to take these steps to access the BVI for a short vacation.

So many added costs on top of the already difficult and costly trek to be in paradise.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 09:25 PM

I have two charters planned, one in December and one in February. I do want to protect the islanders and am willing to self quarantine at home 14 days prior to travel, take a test 72 hours prior to departure and one again on arrival (but watch out for those false positives!). A quarantine will make things very difficult unless I can quarantine on the boat, in a nice location other than the charter base docks (Bight, N. Sound, Cooper, etc.) Already have provisioning/delivery arranged so that isn't an issue. I anticipate there would be lots of boats coming back in for testing on day 4 - how/where would they handle that? IMHO if the gov't is serious about Q's, they should do a serious 10-14 day and target opening for villa owners and long term vacationers. The rest of us with 10 day and under availability will just need to go elsewhere. Sure I could Q in a hotel or a villa but being stuck inside, or on a balcony for 4+ days, plus the additional lodging/testing and food costs puts this at the brink of being the straw that broke the camels back. The cost of Q in a villa with a private pool would REALLY break the camel's back. Sad sigh.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 09:36 PM

Agree - we would cancel.
Posted By: jrw

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 09:42 PM

We have been sailing every year 1992 to last July (owned a cat with TMM mid 90's ) obviously we LOVE the BVI!! Have a few friends in the tourist industry there. As have most of you, spent $$$$$$$$$ there. However, we will NOT visit under the proposed protocol. It's all so wrong headed in many ways...
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 10:13 PM

Sorry, that is just stupid. A villa owner might do it but no tourists.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 10:40 PM

I’ve been pessimistic Thinking that the bvi government would shut down travel at first sign of trouble after opening and planning a trip would be iffy. They have poor facilities for handling serious Covid cases and lots of multigenerational families living closely together. Politically it is a tough situation. With offshore banking down, no tourism is killing the economy.

The path they outline is one meant to provide maximum safety to residents and claim they are opening up for tourism. They say a camel was a horse designed by a committee of politicians. I believe similarly the proposed solution is totally unworkable for tourism.

We have no expense involved with flyer miles and place to stay on VG, but we would not likely go under those restrictions even if young and unafraid of Covid. Too many hoops for a “bcation”. Few if any will do it. The other problem that those with age and or issues that make Covid more problematic..then what if you get it there. Skymed won’t evacuate you. You can’t fly commercial. Peeples is all you got.

I’m hoping Britain shoots enough of the AstraZeneca vaccine to the BVI when available to shoot up the population. Then they can take vaccinated travelers and this is behind us. I don’t know what any other answers are. Covid is so infectious and with asymptomatic spreaders it’s going to go wherever people travel. It’s going to be a long slow high season imo.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 10:50 PM

Will - a vaccine is not on a close horizon - at least a safe, proven one, IMHO. I, for one, will not be taking it for at least 2 years - want to see the longer term results/complications. Not something rushed to market - especially for this virus. Guess that means I buy my own catamaran and enjoy US waters. smile
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
It is unworkable for tourists and there is no point in the BVI bothering to reopen.
G

Agreed.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 11:11 PM

They should look at what other countries are doing. Haven't really looked at cases in Aruba, but friends went. Had to get a test before leaving and they had a great time. If they just did a bit of the honor system and requested people isolate at home prior to going and get a test prior, it would be far more reasonable. And I think many people can isolate prior to going.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 11:43 PM

Agree - kiss the season good by
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/07/2020 11:45 PM

Probably should just shut down for anyone except staycationers

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 12:15 AM

I tired to listen to their hotel/villa protocol meeting. Could not log in as they change the web site address at the last moment. They can't even get that right.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by tpcook
I tired to listen to their hotel/villa protocol meeting. Could not log in as they change the web site address at the last moment. They can't even get that right.

duh not sure why tpcook. I signed up, as requested, two days ago, and used the link they sent with no issues. Actually looked for you in the participant list, but did not find you listed.

boohoo
Posted By: GaryC

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 12:35 AM

I was on the wrong site too but I saw one of the participants who was trying to help had posted the link to the new site so I clicked it and got in.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 12:45 AM

A question I had asked during the session was with the reduced requirements for quarantine to tourists on Dec 1st, would there be an early elimination of the current 2 week quarantine/$3500 guard fee. The question was misinterpreted and not answered so I still would like to know.
Posted By: beeradley

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:49 AM

We have a flight into EIS on 12/4. We will submit any test required, but any quarantine is ridiculous, excessive and purely a CYA moment. We would cancel. Sorry locals. We really want to come see you.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by GaryC
A question I had asked during the session was with the reduced requirements for quarantine to tourists on Dec 1st, would there be an early elimination of the current 2 week quarantine/$3500 guard fee. The question was misinterpreted and not answered so I still would like to know.

I saw your question come up and I was surprised they weren't willing answer it. I tried several times to ask if any possible quarantine would have exceptions to allow people to grocery shop or how they were expected to get food but it was also ignored.

The key take away for the TTOL community is these are all rumors until official protocols are approved by Cabinet. To me, the Premier seemed like he had softened on the quarantine requirement. I have noticed over the last 7 months of COVID fun that the government here is heavily influenced by social media activity. I'd say the feedback over the last few days has been some of the strongest I've seen and I am hopeful it will have an influence on the Cabinet when they approve final measures.

Please keep in mind, it has only been proposed and it sounds like they will be meeting about entry protocols on Friday. Maybe we'll get more definite news next week.

A question for the TTOL community: If the protocols included a test prior to entry, another test upon entry, and a contact tracing bracelet would that be acceptable to consider BVI travel?
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
G

Agreed.

Same here. We are not sailors like most of y'all. We love spending a week on Anegada a couple of times a year. But the 4 day quarantine is a deal breaker. I love to cook at home. Not while on vacation. Besides, that would seriously cut into the amount of money we would spend on the island with Peter, Liston, Ann and others. For the first time since '05 sadly we may need to go elsewhere. But for now, still holding out for hope.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
A question for the TTOL community: If the protocols included a test prior to entry, another test upon entry, and a contact tracing bracelet would that be acceptable to consider BVI travel?

I'd be fine with the testing prior and on entry. Wearing a tracking bracelet? Not so keen on that.

Big question is what happens if someone tests positive upon entry? I'd really want to know the accuracy of the tests they use as well.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by maytrix

I'd be fine with the testing prior and on entry. Wearing a tracking bracelet? Not so keen on that.

Big question is what happens if someone tests positive upon entry? I'd really want to know the accuracy of the tests they use as well.

They are using the PCR test that seems common other places. Not using the rapid test.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 01:38 PM

If they would use the PCR test upon entry--which frankly, I think the rapid test is absolutely useless--they would have to quarantine people until the results of the test are known. That would be probably overnight, as a minimum. That, people could put up with, somehow. But 4 days? No way. And a tracking bracelet?? Oh h*ll no..
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 01:55 PM

I think the BVI (and all organizations using PCR testing) need to disclose the Cycle Threshold (Ct) where they consider a test to be positive. If you run enough cycles (for example, 40 or more) a very large number of people will have "positive results" due to genetic fragments from some prior infection (COVID or possibly something else). A Ct of somewhere around 30 is much more likely to accurately indicate a "real" case with fewer false positives. A false positive, for an arriving tourist, could trigger a series of events that would result in an unpleasant experience. I realize there may be some false positives - no test is 100% accurate - but they really need to tune their reading of the tests.

In order to make sure that a test performed prior to departure is "valid" for the BVI, both tests (before travel and upon arrival) need to be interpreted with the same Ct value. Else it's the old apples to oranges problem.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 01:59 PM

I would also like to know the accuracy of the test they are using. As well as the capacity and protocols of the labs performing the diagnostics. There is the potential for the need to process hundreds per day (and process them correctly and accurately) dependent on flight loads. Forget about seaports. If someone gets a positive, especially after testing before travel (and I would move this up to 72 hours prior to departure), a second test should be offered. I, for one, would demand it. A tracking bracelet? I guess if I had to but what else is it recording besides location/movement? Would need full-disclosure. And it better be waterproof to 100',

The four day quarantine and retesting is going to be the deal breaker for me.
Posted By: sisterblysse

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:01 PM

I would, alongside mandatory facemask wearing and abundant local availability of alcohol hand hand sanitiser for purchase.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:04 PM

Jason, I am fine with the testing. Regarding the bracelet ~ I seemed to have missed where it has a GPS tracker in it. Is that fact or assumption?
Some other countries require bracelets but from what I understand it is color coded and the color shows you have negative test results. If that is all that bracelet would do I would be ok with wearing a bracelet in the BVI. I do not really like that it sort of makes you stand out as a tourist and labels you "clean" but whatever.
Some places also have people sign into restaurants so that if a case is reported they can contact and let you know. Very reasonable request I think.

Sigh, sadly I think it will be 2021 before I venture back. Hopefully an immediate result test will soon be available and all this quarantine mess goes away.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:22 PM

A question for the TTOL community: If the protocols included a test prior to entry, another test upon entry, and a contact tracing bracelet would that be acceptable to consider BVI travel?[/quote]

I fully expect testing of some kind and I could live with the bracelet. I think a 4 day quarantine for a tourists is a lot to ask for when most are only there for a week or two. My own concern is the process of pre-trip testing, submitting to IATA, booking the flight and completing travel. All that has to happen within 5 days. In some places right now tests are hard to get and take days to get results back. The process is complicated and hard to execute.

And ...I would still like to know if they are dropping the $3500 guarded quarantine for November homeowner & worker arrivals. I imagine that those in the charter boat industry who need to bring back crews and/or boats have this concern as well.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:28 PM

Gary--you are correct about the timing of the test. There is a lot of the US that it is almost impossible to get a test and results with 72 hours. 120 hours is a lot more doable--BUT gives you also a much longer time to be infected, after the test..
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:28 PM

The tracking bracelt is a not needed as Google download a Covid-19 tracker on everyones phones months ago, just needs to be turned on(or off if you don't know its on already) don't know about iPhones.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:30 PM

Jason, yes as a villa owner, no as a vacationing tourist who is normally taking a 7 -10 day trip.....

Off topic, but can you say Long term rental anyone? Thinking we may take our villa for 2020-2021 and turn it into a long term rental for people who want to be land based and have some time to kill...…

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by sleepychef
The tracking bracelt is a not needed as Google download a Covid-19 tracker on everyones phones months ago, just needs to be turned on(or off if you don't know its on already) don't know about iPhones.

The problem with the phone trackers is many guests don't carry their phones around because they don't have roaming turned on so they are useless to the guest. No way to enforce someone carrying their phone 100% of the time but a bracelet that can't be removed is more foolproof.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:37 PM

lol you guys really believe the BVI government is capable of pulling off GPS tracking bracelets for 1000's of tourists in 7 weeks time? Much less a functional phone application?

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
lol you guys really believe the BVI government is capable of pulling off GPS tracking bracelets for 1000's of tourists in 7 weeks time? Much less a functional phone application?

Yes but only because the idea of the tracking bracelets isn't new. When we were inspected to house quarantined belongers, the health inspector was already talking about using the bracelets instead of hiring security to guard every person. So that means they've been considering it since June. 6 months might be enough time...

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:44 PM

The BVI Traveler article (which was apparently quoting from the 284 Media article) stated: "In addition, they will be required to wear a wristband that will track their movement while in the BVI to insure that the quarantine is obeyed. The wristband must be worn until their vacation concludes."

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:45 PM

Yes, and a nice source of income for the BVI. Fine folks!!
Posted By: macaroni

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:51 PM

Just to clarify for me... as of now... if these requirements go thru... If I was planning a trip to VG, and port of entry is only going to be Beef Island, do I have to do my 4 day quarantine in Tortola, or would they let me go to my villa rental on VG? We usually fly directly into VG. Thanks for any clarification.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:52 PM

What are the associate costs for all these tests and the bracelets? Has there been discussion about mandatory COVID insurance - several other destinations are requiring this, along with interesting premium costs. I would also like to know about those of us that already have flights booked. The protocols indicate you can only book flights after you upload test results. That just will not work - I can't even imagine what those last minute ticket prices would be.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:54 PM

Sure, the article says that. I just don't buy it for a second.

I personally don't think the government is capable of ordering, tracking and maintaining such a system. For example, what happens when someone takes off their bracelet (or it just breaks off) during their charter? Is immigration going to go out and track them down?
Posted By: bailau

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:54 PM

The entry requirements should also be considered from a relative sense as opposed to just an absolute sense...

If USVI or Bahamas or wherever isn't as stringent as BVI then tourism will leave BVI to USVI or Bahamas. Substitutes for international tourism and local tourism have already taken place and I don't think it is likely people will move back up the ladder...

In the US 2nd homes, RVs, and boats are having a banner year...

If as Jason says that BVI follows social media then my suggestion would be to have a marketing strategy targeting social media sites.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 02:55 PM

I mean, I think we're all in agreement here. This idea as currently presented is horrible for tourism and simply won't work.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 03:51 PM

So what can we collectively do, if anything, to help?

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 05:07 PM

You can do nothing as the premier is a stubborn person with little exposure to the real world. he will just run the economy into the ground and then say he needs to increase fees and taxes. Sorry, but that is what I see.
Posted By: fromaway3774

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:01 PM

This really makes me doubt whether or not I should book in the BVI's for April 2021. I have a credit with Sunsail from April 2020 that I was planning to use next year. And while I can wrap my head around testing requirements, the quarantine and not being able to book airfare into EIS until 5 days prior are deal breakers. I have my flights into STT already, and would entertain a puddle jumper to EIS if I had to, but not being able to book until last minute is worrisome. Also, if I had already rebooked for next April but decided that the quarantine and other entry requirements were really too tough to make it worthwhile, would I be eligible for rebooking with no penalty since the BVI's would technically be open? I think I'll hang on to my credit a little longer and entertain other Sunsail destinations as an alternative.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by fromaway3774
This really makes me doubt whether or not I should book in the BVI's for April 2021. I have a credit with Sunsail from April 2020 that I was planning to use next year. And while I can wrap my head around testing requirements, the quarantine and not being able to book airfare into EIS until 5 days prior are deal breakers. I have my flights into STT already, and would entertain a puddle jumper to EIS if I had to, but not being able to book until last minute is worrisome. Also, if I had already rebooked for next April but decided that the quarantine and other entry requirements were really too tough to make it worthwhile, would I be eligible for rebooking with no penalty since the BVI's would technically be open? I think I'll hang on to my credit a little longer and entertain other Sunsail destinations as an alternative.

I think the seaports being closed will be very short term. There will be too much volume for the airport and too much pressure from the ferry companies. The Premier has stated they would release the planned opening dates in the next couple of weeks so if you can wait that long, I think your issue will be resolved. My guess is January or February 1 for ferries.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:26 PM

That takes care of the flight issue but what about the quarantine? Thinking this through even further, we had planned to stay the last two nights of our trip on STT. Will I have to produce a negative test result to the USVI upon clearing customs? Which means I would have to factor in getting tested during vacation in the BVI's. Even without the overnight in STT, will there be a requirement for a test result just to transit within the USVI to the airport? I'm sure more details will become known as time passes but overall the uncertainty is preventing me from booking a BVI vacation in the near future.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:36 PM

IMO, there is little risk booking flights as most/all of the major carriers are waiving change fees. We are holding on to our Dec tickets for now with fingers crossed BVI will get this all sorted out to balance safety with practical travel protocols.
Posted By: ladyvol

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:45 PM

We are scheduled for two weeks land-based on Anegada in March. I would gladly comply with test before, on arrival, and a tracking bracelet. I could care less if the government learns that I am a slug who spends most of the day sitting on the porch staring at the ocean. I would even agree to 4 days quarantined if I could do it in the D&H Villas on Anegada. I'm not willing to give up four of my precious days on Anegada to be quarantined somewhere on Tortola. That would be the deal breaker.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:46 PM

You also need to consider risk of Moorings/Sunsail going out of business...I have a credit as well and plan to use in the May time frame if not sooner...
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 06:50 PM

I suspect there are a few issues with the USVI ferries. If a local gets a Covid test, will he be allowed to go to St. Thomas, stay overnight and return the following day? If there is testing on arrival, where will they do it? What about quarantine? And what if there is a spike in cases? They may see how it goes.

If guests fly into Beef and transfer to Guana or Necker, for example, the risk is fairly small. That is probably the safe end of the spectrum. Then there are all the other situations.

They have had since March to come up with a plan, buy testing equipment, and figure this out. Unfortunately planning is not a BVI strong suit.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bailau

You also need to consider risk of Moorings/Sunsail going out of business...I have a credit as well and plan to use in the May time frame if not sooner...

I think Moorings/Sunsail is the lowest risk of going out of business of all the charter companies. They have robust financial backing.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 07:40 PM

"Unfortunately planning is not a BVI strong suit."
The understatement of the year.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 07:45 PM

We rebooked our May 2020 charter with Sunsail for May 2021. Just finalized flights yesterday through SJU to EIS. Charter starts May 19. Sunsail sent me an upgrade from a 38 to a 41.0 this week. Also, Delta put a $100 credit in mine and my wife's Skymiles account back in September. I'm not sure why, but they're good through the end of next year.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 08:04 PM

I'm not worried about losing my money with Delta or Sunsail for that matter. However, my dates are tied to spring break up here and if I were to rebook now the price is $$$$$ more than when I initially booked to/from STT. I checked and strangely flights returning from EIS are not available on Saturdays but are there on midweek. Overall I still would prefer to keep my original plan to transit via STT and enjoy a week sailing in the BVI. Another option would be to keep my flights to STT and just stay in the USVI for spring break. I could then book a separate week outside of school vacation week for just DH and I when prices are lower and the situation perhaps more certain. I'm always looking for an excuse for a trip to the Virgin Islands!

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 08:37 PM

Bahamas Protocol...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...te-the-need-to-quarantine-301144569.html

Doesnt seem unreasonable

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 08:52 PM

Seems like a good way to do it but I think the test they are using is the unreliable one. I wonder how much the Travel Health Visa is. The testing costs are included in the Visa fee. They have a lot of testing locations which seems like it would be important.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 08:58 PM

"Unreasonable" depends on where you intend to stay and where you have to return to for the additional testing. Probably makes many out islands nearly impossible and if on charter you have to return to base. Then what happens if you test positive on day 5? The testing on day 5, both in the Bahamas and BVI really makes little sense as incubation can take longer. I noticed that you can't determine the cost of your "Visa" until you upload your test along with number of travel days.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
"Unreasonable" depends on where you intend to stay and where you have to return to for the additional testing. Probably makes many out islands nearly impossible and if on charter you have to return to base. Then what happens if you test positive on day 5? The testing on day 5, both in the Bahamas and BVI really makes little sense as incubation can take longer. I noticed that you can't determine the cost of your "Visa" until you upload your test along with number of travel days.

It would take some planning, but it looks like 20 testing locations so it should be manageable. I would think you could cover all of the BVI with less than 10 locations.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 09:15 PM

Jason - if the BVI had 10 sites, and we could test on day 5 somewhere else besides Tortola, and avoid Q, it could conceivably work. Still question the testing at the day 5 mark but that's JMO.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ecm56
"Unfortunately planning is not a BVI strong suit."
The understatement of the year.

They keep stating they only have 8 ventilators. Perhaps they should have picked up a few more. They are not in short supply and thousands are stored in the US.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 09:32 PM

Don't want to be the skunk at the party ..3 couples with college a college student plan the spring break trip of a lifetime for their soon to be graduating seniors . They bring along a couple grandparents . They hire a large yacht for their party to tune of 35k. The crew of the boat bounce to shore and back during their guests quarantine aboard . At the third day test one or more of the college students are positive. The whole crew is quarantined aboard. Slowly most get covid, some mild symptoms .. one of the people get really sick.. Confined to a boat with someone getting more I'll and others feeling bad..the crew angry because the guests brought this aboard.

The only health care for advanced coronavirus is sub optimal and the crew can't leave the island until all are negative. Can see many lesser variations.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 11:00 PM

So now the Premier is annoyed because the media disclosed their protocolo and he says the protocols will change.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 11:04 PM

Fun times.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 11:29 PM

The Premier threw the health minister under the bus, saying the 4 day quarantine proposal came from the Health department.
I suspect some of this was a test to see what the response would be. I'm sure they would like as much time as they can get but if they push too far they will lose many potential tourists.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 11:31 PM

So there is still hope?

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/08/2020 11:54 PM

I've been thinking about this. I am willing to self isolate at home for two weeks before I travel (even if it means i don't host Thanksgiving for the first time in YEARS). I'm willing to get my brain swabbed right before I come (that test is horrible, been there, done that), and be tested on arrival. A Q and a retest after 4 days will likely be the line for me. I can imagine others feel the same. And booking air only after you have test results? Not gonna happen.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 12:03 AM

I don't see any of the governments going for the idea of pre-departure self-isolation as there is almost no way to verify it. I'm willing to do whatever testing they want but if they want to do tests during our stay, it needs to be convenient, i.e., local to whatever island I am on (that will almost always be Anegada). The whole idea of testing before booking air lines . . . there are so many problems with that I can't imagine them all.

I suspect there will be some changes when the cabinet finally votes. I also fully expect they will have to modify the protocols as they learn what works and what doesn't work.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 12:19 AM

I agree ecm56. I wasn't suggesting that self isolating at home would be a requirement - it is just something I am willing to do to be conscientious and extra safe (did the same before our sailing trip in the USVI in July).
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ecm56
The Premier threw the health minister under the bus, saying the 4 day quarantine proposal came from the Health department.
I suspect some of this was a test to see what the response would be. I'm sure they would like as much time as they can get but if they push too far they will lose many potential tourists.

You are giving these clowns way too much credit about floating a trial balloon. The reality is they are incompetent and can't get their act together,

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 11:40 AM

The whole idea of booking air and a charter boat FIVE DAYS out is hilarious. Can you imagine finding flights at any kind of reasonable price??? Or how about calling your boss....”hey! Just got myself a negative Covid test so I think I’ll just pop on down to the BVI for a couple of weeks! That’ll be okay, right?”

I blame Boaty Ball. LOLOL Somewhere somehow it has to be their fault. LOL

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 11:43 AM

Everything but that quarantine and third test sounds reasonable to me - the Q would be a deal breaker unless they let us do it off the Road Town docks in nearby anchorages like Trellis, Cooper, Peter, Norman, etc....sitting at the charter base? Nope nope nope....
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 12:51 PM

I was just wondering, if soon after opening back up to tourist a small outbreak of the virus happens. Which I suspect will happen. Will they lockdown again? And if so, will I be able to get out? It just seems awful risky to go down soon no matter what the protocols are. At least for the short term. Trust me, if things were "normal" we would be on Anegada in November. But are now thinking May. The Dec 1 opening should not have been announced without a plan in place.

Winterstale, thank you for the morning laugh. It has to be Boaty Ball, right!?!?!?

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 01:13 PM

Gotta find the humor somewhere.....

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
I was just wondering, if soon after opening back up to tourist a small outbreak of the virus happens. Which I suspect will happen. Will they lockdown again? And if so, will I be able to get out? It just seems awful risky to go down soon no matter what the protocols are. At least for the short term. Trust me, if things were "normal" we would be on Anegada in November. But are now thinking May. The Dec 1 opening should not have been announced without a plan in place.

Winterstale, thank you for the morning laugh. It has to be Boaty Ball, right!?!?!?

Based on earlier outbreaks and lockdowns, the government may implement some sort of curfew to limit movement but you should still be able to leave. Throughout our ongoing curfews, people have been traveling out via water taxi and flights.

On a similar note, I just saw the Bahamas implemented a 24hr weekend curfew starting 7pm tonight thru Tuesday 5am and a night curfew starting Tuesday for New Providence and Abaco. I doubt we'll see that here again but things do change. Be prepared.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 03:16 PM

I think in the end the BVI it seems to me has made a choice that their strategy is isolation and zero covid. That is their choice and you can’t really argue if that is the plan. The government however has a obligation to put forth a program for how the people and country will survive economically. Have they locked down credit to pay for all the minimum requirements? Will they have cash to get food imported? Will they have a tax base that is collectible and can keep the government running? Will they be able to provide basic medical care outside of covid to the people? This year is done. Even given the most optimistic vaccine statements it can’t be saved. The high season next year is probably in question. They need a plan. They have made their statement on tourism. Now they need to show how they will function for the next 1 to 2 years.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 04:04 PM

Ahoy Captains,

I love the InterWebs.
All this based on One uncorroborated report from an obscure web site with little traffic or advertising or vetting.
In the past few months various BVI Gov Officials have ‘Proposed’ No anchoring, 200 private ‘Medicinal’ marijuana farms, No open holding tanks, 2 week Quarantines, No labor permit renewals, $6000 Quarantines, ‘picket’ barges over a free RN Offshore Patrol Vessel, etc …
And most of these proposals have been announced late at night, within hours of their implementation, outside of the Premiers Office, and most have been Walked Back within weeks, especially issues regarding Quarantines.
Please consider waiting for this Stakeholder Consultation process to run its course before making any big travel decisions, or, if you are plotting a course based on a single post from a strangers Fakebook page then hire a Captain for your next charter.
The BVI has recently gone through a Level Orange / Level 3 Virus infection and there was a curfew but no Quarantine.
Please consider, before you ‘stick a fork’ in the BVI for the next 9 months, how far the BVI has progressed in opening for tourism in the past few months and how far the Internatinoal Medical Testing and Treatment and Vaccines have progressed in the past few months. There are new solutions being developed, literally, every day.
The BVI now has a Date, and Everyone in the World is working on hitting a moving target from a moving base.
Please correct me, sincerely, if you can suggest a vacation that offers better Physical and Mental health advantages this Winter, surrounded by certified healthy Family and Friends, and loaded to the gunnels with fresh food and fine liquors, with No Masks and No Distancing, than the ‘bubble’ of a Yacht in the BVI?

Fair Winds, Brent from The Captains Compass
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 04:04 PM

Why don't we wait to see what they actually decide on doing?
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 04:31 PM

Well stated, Brent.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 05:29 PM

Reminds me of the great Dusty Springfield song:".wishing..and hoping...planning and scheming..."

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/09/2020 06:42 PM

Voice of reason. Thanks, Brent.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/10/2020 02:38 PM

284 Media did an interview yesterday with Premier Fahie. He was asked whether the 2 week quarantine and $3500 guard fee presently charged to ex-pat workers, villa owners, etc would be reduced now that a 4 day quarantine with bracelet is scheduled to roll out Dec 1st. He answered that they would be reviewing that and seeing whether the difference in requirements could be narrowed. I got the impression from his comments that news on this might come out next week.

For those interested go here and then advance to minute 20: https://www.284media.com/videos/premier-addresses-issues-in-the-territory/
At minute 18 there is his answer to the question of how the booking process would work (which is also to be reviewed and likely refined)

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/10/2020 03:19 PM

I am a bit confused which is my natural state. A 4 day quarantine means no tourists. Is that the released policy or is it still simply a rumor?
G
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/10/2020 03:34 PM

They're still working on the plan. Holding consultations through Oct. 22, then putting something together, taking it to the cabinet and governor. You will have the plan in plenty of time to book your ticket five days before you fly, after you register your Covid results with IATA. Isn't that how we all do it?

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/10/2020 03:37 PM

Sorry, the 4 day quarantine is part of a draft plan for tourist beginning Dec 1st. It is subject to change and nothing yet is final.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/10/2020 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by GaryC
Sorry, the 4 day quarantine is part of a draft plan for tourist beginning Dec 1st. It is subject to change and nothing yet is final.

I notice you said tourist not tourists. With a 4 day quarantine I am not sure they will get that tourist to come but I guess they can hope.
G
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/10/2020 04:48 PM

Lol, George

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/11/2020 12:13 AM

Here is my story. I arrived in the BVI in Feb to continue the rebuild of my villa. Covid came and the bVI shut down. Lucky for me most of my workers lived on my land so we continued to work every day though the police came and said we needed to stop work. I said no way the workers are staying at the villa and not mingling so covid free. In any event I had to have food brought in as no one was allowed outside of the villa. Since I own quite a bit of land I took it on myself to check out the other villas. The quarantine and lockdown continued for at least 1 month, then we were allowed an hour or so to go shopping.. This continued and the curfew went up and down. In April I had pains in my chest and left arm so went down to the clinic. They did 2 EKg's and 2 blood tests over the course of several hours with a $500 charge.. Eventually a doctor told me he could find nothing. However recently I had a complete workup done in Florida and they told me I had had a heart attack although they did not know when. Eventually I decided I had to leave as my mental state was going downhill and I had completed my task to complete the villa. The workers eventually left back to Trinidad staying at the villa for over 1 month after I left. Getting home was not easy and I finally became Captain of a yacht and motored over to STT, left it and took AA home the next day arriving home May 15 through Miami. Airport was empty. My car had been parked at an airport parking lot from Feb.. By the way USVI immigration was not very helpful and just old me my paperwork was not correct. I told them I had no idea how to fill out the paperwork so finally a young officer helped me fill it out. BVI customs was fine in West End.
So now I would like to go back to my villa but am finding out it will not be easy and quote expensive. So have no idea when I can go back.I have millions invested in the BVI and actually had plans to expand but not with the current administration.. So that is my story.

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/11/2020 12:17 PM

Sorry to hear my friend...I wish you the best for a speedy recovery...
Posted By: jphart

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/12/2020 01:16 AM

Gosh, that is a sad story tpcook.
Sad that the medical folks on island didn’t diagnose the heart attack.
Sad that there is such disregard for private investors. But my understanding is that is common in so much of the world. Thank goodness for the US Constitution!

Glad that you are recovering health wise, and hope that the financial setback will be temporary!

Re: Thoughts on the proposed BVI protocol... - 10/12/2020 02:31 PM

Thorsten - I am so sorry - I have followed all of your hard work post-Irma...

I think there will be a return to the BVI but it will likely not be as soon as we were all hoping...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline