TravelTalkOnline

Flying from St Thomas to Tortola

Posted By: Andiamo

Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 12:37 PM

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I've searched and can't seem to find anything specific. Is there an inexpensive hopper flight from St Thomas to Tortola? It's much cheaper for us vs fling into Puerto Rico. In the past we'd just take the ferry over. We have a charter set for Dec 4th and were originally planning on taking a private water taxi over. But if the new protocols dictate that we arrive via flight I want to be prepared. It would be a total of four people if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 12:41 PM

VI Airlink. December 3 - December 12 is $254.10.

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 12:58 PM

Awesome. I appreciate it!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 03:31 PM

I am seeing roundtrips from SJU at 206.

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I am seeing roundtrips from SJU at 206.

Usually is cheaper from SJU. I'm always surprised people have so much trouble finding reasonable airfare thru SJU to EIS. My commercial flights are cheaper to SJU from the US 90% of the time and then the plane over is only a little bit more than the ferry.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 04:54 PM

Just recently booked Intercaribbean 12/3-12/15 $454 RT for 2 SJU to EIS and back.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 05:22 PM

Love your confidence Winterstale

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 05:40 PM

I am hoping for lamb shank.....lol....

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 05:41 PM

Are you doubtful, Peter?

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 06:25 PM

No I am hopeful , we are getting the gounds ready just now , looking forward to getting back in the kitchen at end of November,

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 06:36 PM

That is great to hear!!!
I am still kind of feeling like Charlie Brown...running to kick the football and hoping the BVI doesn’t pull it away.

I just listened to a virtual happy hour with BVIYC from last Thursday and they were still encouraging people to book for Christmas.....

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sleepychef
No I am hopeful , we are getting the gounds ready just now , looking forward to getting back in the kitchen at end of November,

26 November is US Thanksgiving. That would be a great day to reopen! Lamb or Lobster for Thanksgiving dinner? Just saying....
Posted By: beeradley

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 07:40 PM

There is a charter boat/marina industry meeting tonight, right? Very interested in any news out of that meeting...
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 08:17 PM

To have a season or not, that is the question. I guess we get the answer today. A 4 day quarantine means no season.
G
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 08:33 PM

My dec 1 flight from Miami to Stt is about $200 one way for 2 persons, so I not about to buy tickets from Stt to Tortola for $254 one way for 1 person. Absurd and then I need to deal with 4 covid tets , even more absurd. No way for me.

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 08:36 PM

To have a season or not, that is the question. I guess we get the answer today. A 4 day quarantine means no season.
G

I wouldn't expect too much today. There are industry meetings until next Thursday but they really cover protocols specific to that industry not the overall entry protocols. Entry protocols were supposed to be approved last Friday or this Monday but if they were, it hasn't been announced. Between formal Contract Signing ceremonies, construction ground breaking ceremonies, Governor bashing, Ego healing, and legislating old vehicles there isn't much time left for things like COVID-19 protocols.

Plus, we found a new active case this week so curfew will have to be reviewed again.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 10:06 PM

G

It almost seems Ike the BV Government is using the tourist as a new pet and training them and feeding little treats.
Most people can only take a week or two vacation per year.
They actually believed that the gullible tourist who flinged them a $20 because they said Good morning would be happy to pay $3,500 to stay in quarantine for 14 days..... Well it didn’t work now they’re going for a 4 day quarantine and guess what???
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/14/2020 10:43 PM

Did they say Good Morning? Well maybe grudgingly. Last I read they hadn't spent a dime of the "environmental" tax for that purpose, and a dime is probably what's left of that money now!
Posted By: Brent

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 12:15 AM

Ahoy Captains,

I am seeing the some of the lowest prices in decades for flights to the BVI. For a generic mid-west example, Dec 9 to Dec 16 RT Chicago – BVI for $400.
No late-flight missed-ferry wild-west-taxi through St. Thomas. No semi-submersible suitcase at the dock. No mile-long hour-long conga line at the RoadTown ferry terminal.
No dragging (100s of lbs. of) gear in and out of STT and Taxis and Ferries.
Jan 6 to Jan 13 for $458. Jan 31 to Feb 7 $442.
And a Free Sleepaboard with the Captains Compass.

Fair Winds, Brent from The Captains Compass
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 12:31 AM

Me too Brent!

And if your sea legs aren’t the best, we have social distancing at its finest with a sweet villa on the East end of Jost for your vacationing needs. WiFi, privacy, and daily jaunts to the bubbly pool, Taboo, or Bline.

It’s all good....🧜‍♀️🐠✨

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 01:22 AM

Got the house, bought the tickets - tell me if we can come! Will they allow Americans in? Will we have to pay $3500 for quarantine? What will testing requirements be, assuming they take that route? In my opinion, that was the first thing to do - let people know if they can come! Cleaning houses, boats and taxis is important, but not primary. They did lay out the requirements for strip clubs.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 02:04 AM

When I just looked at flights from Mia to EIS I came up with $1300 r/t I guess I could try and put together flights to sju and then SJU to EIS but that got its own problems. Probably going to stay home in Vero Beach or drive to the keys.

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 02:40 AM

Thorsten, clear your cookies and try Google Flights. I see r/t Miami-EIS on American Dec. 8-22 for $360.

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 09:40 AM

Once I searched separate flights, one from Charlotte to SJU and then SJU to Tortola I found the lower prices. For some reason when I had my flight all the way through to Tortola (still connecting in SJU) it was at least twice the price and much more limited in connecting flights to Tortola.

Unfortunately we’ll likely still go through St Thomas for this trip. We had everything set for a charter in October (originally leaving this Friday...) including booked flights. For the moment it looks like Delta has us going to St Thomas. Would rather not roll our airline credits over since that’s one aspect of the trip that’s already paid for. Next time we’ll be much more thorough in our flight search though so I do appreciate it!

Now if we can just get the BVI’s to list their official protocol we can finally have our vacation this year!
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 01:52 PM

Brent ~ May I ask what airline you saw that Chicago- BVI fare on?
Thanks!
Posted By: Brent

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 02:58 PM

Ahoy Captain,

Silver Airways logo 12/9 Wed 5:30 am – 5:35 pm Spirit Airlines, Silver Airways 2 stops FLL, SJU 10h 05m ORD ‐ EIS
Spirit Airlines logo 12/16 Wed 6:15 pm – 9:13 am +1 Silver Airways, Spirit Airlines 2 stops SJU, BWI 16h 58m EIS ‐ ORD
$400 SmartFare https://www.kayak.com/flights/CHI-EIS/2020-12-09-flexible/2020-12-16-flexible?sort=bestflight_a

Fair Wind, Brent from The Captains Compass
Posted By: ligot

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Andiamo
Once I searched separate flights, one from Charlotte to SJU and then SJU to Tortola I found the lower prices. For some reason when I had my flight all the way through to Tortola (still connecting in SJU) it was at least twice the price and much more limited in connecting flights to Tortola.

Unfortunately we’ll likely still go through St Thomas for this trip. We had everything set for a charter in October (originally leaving this Friday...) including booked flights. For the moment it looks like Delta has us going to St Thomas. Would rather not roll our airline credits over since that’s one aspect of the trip that’s already paid for. Next time we’ll be much more thorough in our flight search though so I do appreciate it!

Now if we can just get the BVI’s to list their official protocol we can finally have our vacation this year!

What airline did you choose to go from STT to EIS? I saw the suggestions for VI Airlink or Island Birds. Did you find anything else?

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 09:35 PM

There are not many choices, David....those are really the only two.

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 11:00 PM

https://www.flybodecaribbean.com

private
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/15/2020 11:40 PM

I have used this air service inter island -- very professional.

https://www.farelab.com/airports/ch...-thomas-us-virgin-islands-uidc30021.aspx
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Flying from St Thomas to Tortola - 10/16/2020 12:26 AM

We have also flown with Cleo Hodge - Ace Flight Center. It can be hard to get in touch with him (true with many people in the islands). He operates from the other side of the airport so if you arrive on a commercial flight you will need to get to the other side of the airport where the Ace Flight Center office and hangar is located. VI Airlink and Island Birds have picked us up at the "commuter gate" - I believe it's gate 11 which is a short walk from baggage claim.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline