TravelTalkOnline

JVD Customs in days past

Posted By: LocalSailor

JVD Customs in days past - 12/18/2020 11:36 PM

I posted this link in another thread and the only response indicated he found that Mr. Chinnery was a lazy,drunk. I felt that was a bit severe-- this testamonial reflects a lot closer to my experiences over the years. Admittedly they were different times back then.

https://stjohnsource.com/2010/04/21/unsung-hero/
Posted By: toast

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/18/2020 11:41 PM

Very nice, makes me wish i had been fortunate enough to have found JVD back when he was it's "ambassador"...
Posted By: sail445

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by LocalSailor
I posted this link in another thread and the only response indicated he found that Mr. Chinnery was a lazy,drunk. I felt that was a bit severe-- this testamonial reflects a lot closer to my experiences over the years. Admittedly they were different times back then.

https://stjohnsource.com/2010/04/21/unsung-hero/

Maybe you have forgotten that in the early 70’s very few boats went to JVD and Albert Chinnery would sometimes not have a visitor for a few days but he wasn’t a lazy drunk. He partied through the night and slept at the bar he was at and the JVD residents would tell you where to find him. It wasn’t like he was sleeping in the streets of maybe your hometown.
JVD was a stress free place without paved roads which many apposed when they constructed including Foxy
Posted By: lstephen

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 05:26 PM

When we stayed at the Sandollar in October 1999 we took a water taxi direct St. Thomas to White's Bay. Got there late afternoon. I don't know who the C&I officer was but the hotel took us oiver to clear the next day and I recall the guy being very nice and professional. And the entry fee was $0.10!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 06:14 PM

My husband fondly remembers arriving at Beef Island in the mid 1960s, shortly before the airport was built. The plane's first pass chased the livestock and upon landing there was a sign saying "Customs closed, come back tomorrow."
Posted By: ggffrr11

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 10:36 PM

I remember flying into Beef Island when the airport was only an outside hut (mid 90's?). We arrived short "one article of luggage". We took an open taxi/truck to the Moorings and then sailed back to Trellis Bay the next Day. We took the hardshell dinghy to shore and walked over to the airport. There was no one around, anywhere. But, our article of luggage had been delivered and was sitting, by itself, under the airport overhang.
Posted By: marisol

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 11:16 PM

I remember that airport too, I loved it. What a great way to get introduced to the BVI. I also remember the toll on the Queen Elizabeth bridge to Beef Island. The man in the toll booth had a can on the end of a stick to collect the toll. My young daughter thought he was offering us a treat.
I am so happy to have these memories during this time!
Posted By: sail445

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by marisol
I remember that airport too, I loved it. What a great way to get introduced to the BVI. I also remember the toll on the Queen Elizabeth bridge to Beef Island. The man in the toll booth had a can on the end of a stick to collect the toll. My young daughter thought he was offering us a treat.

If you looked a little closer it wasn’t a rusty can but a coconut shell.
Everyone loved it
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/19/2020 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by lstephen
When we stayed at the Sandollar in October 1999 we took a water taxi direct St. Thomas to White's Bay. Got there late afternoon. I don't know who the C&I officer was but the hotel took us oiver to clear the next day and I recall the guy being very nice and professional. And the entry fee was $0.10!

LOL. And that was probably the fee for the form...
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/22/2020 02:53 AM

That 10 cents was the charge for the immigration form. In road town the lady would never have change, so I always made her give me 10 aka $1.00. pretty sure her retirement was built on 10 cents at a time as she never had change.
Posted By: Fran

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/22/2020 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sail445
Originally Posted by marisol

If you looked a little closer it wasn’t a rusty can but a coconut shell.
Everyone loved it

Yup, that's what I remember, the coconut shell. That, the chickens & goats at the airport and the airport 'bar'. Also, boarding passes that indicated gate 1 of... smile cool
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: JVD Customs in days past - 12/22/2020 02:41 PM

Ah, love my childhood memories of JVD in the late ‘70s and early’80s when life was simple and we were often the only boat in White Bay. Was sometimes an adventure getting Traumerei in there with her deep draft and spotty engine but memories of building sandcastles with the local kids on the beach in front of The Sand Castle hotel are priceless.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline