TravelTalkOnline

Sargassum in Anegada

Posted By: BVIslandGirl

Sargassum in Anegada - 04/06/2021 08:44 PM

Hello all ...

I'm planning a much awaited return trip to my home-away-from-home of 30+ years and I'm hoping to include 3 or 4 days in Anegada. The last time I was there was at least 8 years ago while we were sailing and the sargassum hadn't really become an issue in the BVI yet. I've heard it's been getting worse this past few years (like many areas of the Caribbean) so I'm looking for the local experts to chime in here re the current situation.

One of the biggest reasons to hang out on Anegada is, of course, their stunning beaches on the north side ... unfortunately where the issue is the most common :-( . Looking at Loblolly Cottages or perhaps a special treat at one of the palapas at the ABeach Club (or other suggestions on the beach?).

If anyone has any input I'd be very grateful!

Thanks all ...
GT :-)
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/06/2021 09:29 PM

Not on the North side, but D & H Sunshine Villas never disappoint.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/06/2021 09:29 PM

I have a very unscientific way to answer that question. Normally I would ask Walker but he's in Houston right now. My other trick is to look at Kenny Francis FB posts (Francis Family Farm) - almost every week he posts a video of guests riding along the beach at Cow Wreck - you can see if it is a problem. I will ask Ann - she's on the island right now.

From my experience, sargassum can come in quite quickly so I don't know how much you will be able to plan around it.

The ABC "Tent Glamping" is pretty amazing.

Addition: Sent e-mail to Ann. Checked photos - most recent was two weeks ago. Some up on the beach but it appeared pretty light to me.

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/06/2021 09:43 PM

You may be interested in this:

USF Sargassum Watch Project

I'm not sure how to interpret this but someone is now looking at it and recording it . . . hopefully we can learn from this.

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/06/2021 11:48 PM

Ann reports not much sargassum right now and sent the attached photo from Cow Wreck.

Attached picture Cow Wreck 20210406_174114.jpg
Posted By: Husker

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/06/2021 11:59 PM

We were there in December and I don't remember it being an issue anywhere. Not that its not there. Just not a big deal and no different from what we've been seeing for the last 5 or so years.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/07/2021 03:19 PM

This week we have sargassum coming into the southern bays in the USVI. It is starting the seasonal buildup.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/07/2021 04:05 PM

Noticably more sargassum in 2nd half of March than in Jan and Feb. I usually troll several lures when underway and they had to be cleaned every few minutes - finally gave up.
Posted By: picaflores

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/07/2021 08:43 PM

https://www.bviddm.com/moderate-to-...Cwp25tLAGQtsw0G60-iPKYcYaqAE4G_s_Kuiwwvc
Posted By: BVIslandGirl

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/08/2021 07:57 PM

Thanks so much everyone! Definitely a tough one to gauge without a crystal ball direct to Mother Nature ;-).

Based on the homework I've been doing it seems the worst time of the year are the warmer months i.e. now through the summer. Fingers crossed that our January timing will bring those amazing white sands to us!

GT
Posted By: duckfat

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/09/2021 01:33 PM

If it is a January trip, worry not. There was a bit of sargassum on the north shore of Anegada this past January, but not much. Not enough to be any kind of problem.

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/17/2021 09:31 PM

Quick update. We are now on Anegada and were able to go to the beach yesterday. There is a good bit of sargassum washed up on the beach but it appeared to be a couple of days old. The wind shifted around to NW on Wednesday and blew hard most of the day - I think that blew it in. I didn't see any more coming in and the wind is back to the east now. Just a good illustration of how quickly it can change.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Sargassum in Anegada - 04/17/2021 11:55 PM

We are still in quarantine and haven't visited any beaches but there certainly seems to be quite a bit in the water presently.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline