TravelTalkOnline

BVI private capt

Posted By: lldks

BVI private capt - 11/08/2021 06:51 PM

A group of 8 have a 51 ft power at rented thru Moorings. We’ve decided that we want a capt but moorings doesn’t have any more. How would I go about looking for one? One issue is that the cabin is in the little forward v berth and accessible only through hatch and doesn’t have AC. Or there is a pull out sofa in the main salon. The boat is a less than 5 yrs old.
The date is in June 2022.
Posted By: calsail

Re: BVI private capt - 11/09/2021 07:15 PM

Try Jimmy Hodge 284-499-5956 Mention Gary Manhattan Beach/Napa Personal friend and local skipper for the past 30 year
Posted By: bailau

Re: BVI private capt - 11/09/2021 07:44 PM

I regularly sleep on the salon on the 514 so I can keep better watch on boat and crew...it isnt bad.
Posted By: duckfat

Re: BVI private capt - 11/09/2021 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by calsail
Try Jimmy Hodge 284-499-5956 Mention Gary Manhattan Beach/Napa Personal friend and local skipper for the past 30 year

Jimmy's phone number changed years ago. It is 284-341-9658.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/10/2021 09:44 PM

LMAO.. OMG I have been texting with him all thru Covid on what I thought was the correct number. He initiated the text stream in Dec. 2019 and I never thought to look at the number. You are so right and thank you for the heads up.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/10/2021 09:45 PM

LMAO.. OMG I have been texting with him all thru Covid on what I thought was the correct number. He initiated the text stream in Dec. 2019 and I never thought to look at the number. You are so right and thank you for the heads up. Why do you think the Moorings would not have a skipper for a June cruise? Are they that booked?

Re: BVI private capt - 11/10/2021 10:24 PM

I have never heard of no skipper available either...and have done Moorings for many years.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/11/2021 04:50 AM

Yes. Moorings told me a couple of days ago that they have no skipper. I was shocked too. I hope that doesn’t suggest how crowded it will be in June.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/11/2021 09:41 AM

I dont doubt you...I will reach out to my friends at Moorings base and see if they can find someone.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: BVI private capt - 11/11/2021 10:15 AM

It isn't that busy now... I would say it is far from past high season standards.

Before this thread started, my wife and I were remarking how many more boats seem to have professional crew or at least skipper. I'm not sure what the reason for that is.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/11/2021 10:47 AM

I really think it is a supply issue as opposed to demand...I think some of the charter boats were moved away from the BVIs...

lldks-

I heard back from my friend...can you confirm you are on a 514PC. He is open in June. He also said he wont sleep in that little space up front...he is a brother from a different mother and is good and I trust him completely. He is part of Moorings

PM me and I can connect you

Re: BVI private capt - 11/11/2021 03:25 PM

My husband has always done it himself. I’m not sure why he “kind of” wants a capt now. I think it’s an age thing, coupled with being away for a few years and forgetting how “easy” it is ( easy for me to say). Last yr we did a crewed boat in usvi and he liked not being in charge ( however we all thought it was just too much food, albeit excellent food).

Re: BVI private capt - 11/11/2021 09:06 PM

Having done it myself I get it...in my world where I am basically taking people on a Disney Cruise to Fantasy Land it is a lot of stress and pressure...

Re: BVI private capt - 11/12/2021 05:51 PM

Call Jimmy You now have his updated # His friend Glen (Bequia) is super too. 284-540-7742
Posted By: Ragtime

Re: BVI private capt - 11/12/2021 08:56 PM

Jimmie’s brother Julian has captained in the past. Bequia is great! Dale Nibbs also but he wouldn’t fit in the small forward berth.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/13/2021 01:41 AM

Forgot Julian. Raced numerous Spring Regattas with and against Julian when sailing with Presley. Julian is super. Another perfect lead.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/13/2021 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ragtime
Jimmie’s brother Julian has captained in the past. Bequia is great! Dale Nibbs also but he wouldn’t fit in the small forward berth.

I spoke to Dale for OP and he is in if not in forward berth...
Posted By: BVIcharlie

Re: BVI private capt - 11/16/2021 12:44 AM

Traveler…. If not too late, let me throw my skippers hat in the ring. And I cook too if desired. I’m in Annapolis area, but love being in paradise. I’ve skippered and cooked for our crew down there annually for last 12 years. I’m a good guide, great boat chef and can handle monohulls and cats.

Call o text if interested. 301-996-8007

Re: BVI private capt - 11/23/2021 08:49 PM

Does anyone know of Jelly Belly? Jimmy Hodges gave me his name because Jimmy can't do it.
Posted By: MKGrey

Re: BVI private capt - 11/23/2021 09:40 PM

"Jelly Belly" was my check out skipper aboard a Moorings 514PC back in 2016. My interactions with him were limited, because he was simply charged with ensuring that me and my crew were capable of handling the vessel. He also performed my vessel check-out that same day. Jelly Belly, was knowledgeable and kind, but my sample size was too small to offer an assessment of how he might serve as captain for a week long charter. Hopefully others will be able to give you more insight.

Re: BVI private capt - 11/23/2021 09:54 PM

And I think there were a few members that spoke highly of Glen Bequia, right?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline