TravelTalkOnline

Grounding Near Saba Rock

Posted By: Husker

Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 02:34 PM

Just saw a credible post on another site about a grounding north of Saba Rock. An eye witness saw the Leopard 45 cat passing around the NW side of Saba (the marked channel is on the other side) toward Eustatia Sound at a fair clip and grounded on the reef. A boat from Saba pulled them off. Pretty amazing, IMO. I've taken a RIB thru there before, slowly. I can't imagine trying to take a full size sailboat thru. There was another serious grounding at the west entrance to North Sound about a month ago.
Yikes!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 02:37 PM

Saw one hit the reef and have to turn around leaving CGB not too long ago. Charter season is back in full swing!
Posted By: Husker

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 02:55 PM

Indeed! Great news for the tourism industry. Not so good for boat bottoms (and their owners) laugh
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 03:42 PM

I worry about this every day when I am not on my boat. Seriously. Anyone have good suggestions on relaxation methods for owners that doesn’t involve copious amounts of rum?
Posted By: Ragtime

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 04:35 PM

As a former charter boat owner for 13 years, rum is the only answer!
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 06:31 PM

That marked channel has the best channel marking in the BVI and is obvious starting well out from Saba Rock. Unless you're below with the boat on autopilot I can't imagine how you could end up on the other side.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
Anyone have good suggestions on relaxation methods for owners that doesn’t involve copious amounts of rum?

Rum was always my first choice.....!
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
copious amounts of rum?

Maybe the charter captain was a little too relaxed as well?

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/01/2021 09:16 PM

Cwwoody - sure sounds like it. We were there Sunday - no way you can miss that - but oh the things I have seen with Moorings and Navigare boats the last 4 days……
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/02/2021 01:21 AM

We witnessed the grounding. The posted account is correct. In addition the next morning they entered the proper channel south of Saba and departed for Anegada. They then went between Prickly Pear and Eustatia Island to exit the area. Doable but pretty sure redlined.
G
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/02/2021 01:58 AM

Do they have GPS trackers on these boats? Seems like it would be a pretty easy way to monitor compliance with the red-lined restrictions.

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/02/2021 02:15 AM

George - any idea of the boat name? Want to try to stay far far away from them.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/02/2021 02:19 AM

Aloha was the name.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/02/2021 07:31 AM

Sad and makes me a bit angry given my own recent experience. We saw Aloha - a sistership to the one we were on - a number of times, possibly with different crew. I had a conversation with the base manager in Tortola where he assured me that charterers would be held accountable for violating zones or gross negligence. I wonder.

Re: Grounding Near Saba Rock - 12/02/2021 10:35 AM

It is sad EZ. We watched a Moorngs cat go right over the reef area in White Bay JVD yesterday, ignoring the channel markings. Was high tide but still…….
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline