TravelTalkOnline

Number of boats

Posted By: jagmansr

Number of boats - 12/05/2021 01:22 PM

It sounds as though the BVI is starting to get really busy. Wondering just how full the mooring fields are currently? We arrive on Tuesday and just wonder what to expect. Feed back from people there now would really be appreciated
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 01:53 PM

We arrive Wednesday, but neighbors say Thanksgiving was very busy, but less so now.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 01:57 PM

I posted about how the Bight filled up Thanksgiving weekend... last Tuesday it was comparatively deserted, like 20% maybe.

Lots of boats at the Moorings base when we returned.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 02:00 PM

We have been here for a week - Saba was full when we were there, but lots of balls available at BEYC. Anegada was completely full. White Bay balls have been full every night we have been here and we have heard Great Harbor is busy too. We don’t do the Bight, Cooper or Leverick so can’t comment on those.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 02:09 PM

What is "typical" for after Christmas and through New Years? Staying on VG and this is the first time we are there around the holidays and don't know what to expect. Will be chartering over to Jost for the day on the 28th- am I wrong to expect a mad-house?
Posted By: Husker

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 03:50 PM

We were there for two weeks over Thanksgiving. It seemed sorta back to pre-covid busy, or maybe a little less. We saw balls available in all the hot spots. Many of the mooring fields actually have more balls than they used to. Plus, there are a couple anchorages that now have balls (Soldier and Benures at Norman, for example). That said, some of the moorings have not been maintained for some time. You'll definitely want to back down on your mooring just as you would an anchor for piece of mind. And bring gloves for handling the pendants....some now have lots of sharp critters in residence :-)
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 03:55 PM

We got off the boat this morning. No problem getting balls anywhere we went including Cooper.
G
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Number of boats - 12/05/2021 11:37 PM

Should be quiet until Christmas week
Posted By: ggregory

Re: Number of boats - 12/06/2021 02:31 PM

What’s the cost of a ball now

Re: Number of boats - 12/06/2021 02:32 PM

$30 or $40 depending on the ball. I don't think the more expensive balls at Sprat Bay, Peter Island are available at this time.

Re: Number of boats - 12/06/2021 02:46 PM

ggregory - Were you aware of the boaty-ball system?
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Number of boats - 12/06/2021 04:38 PM

We were on the boat from November 10-29th. It was very mellow until Thanksgiving week when it ramped up. Coming back from Anegada the Friday after Thanksgiving we got on Boaty Ball at 7:10am and all Great Harbor balls were already taken. We chanced it and went to Great Harbor early afternoon and nothing was available. Peaked into White Bay and the surf was breaking over the reef so we bailed. Spent the night in Diamond Cay and it was awesome! We would have just anchored in Great Harbor but with the North Swell it was pretty packed in there and all our usual "good" anchor spots were taken. I am sure it will be very busy for Christmas/New Years weeks.
Posted By: ggregory

Re: Number of boats - 12/07/2021 12:45 AM

It sounds familiar, please fill me in.

Thanks for the reply on the cost of a mooring ball.

Re: Number of boats - 12/09/2021 09:32 PM

Eleven boats at Marina Cay tonight, plus the Cuanlaw.

Re: Number of boats - 12/10/2021 12:34 AM

How were the Moorings looking? Anyone collect for the balls? We had a guy collect last week but he did not have the proper receipts and was a bit evasive when I asked about it.
G

Re: Number of boats - 12/10/2021 12:48 AM

I was curious about the condition of the moorings there as well. I was told they were going to be checked/maintained a couple weeks ago. Don't know if that ever happened.

Re: Number of boats - 12/12/2021 08:43 PM

Ten sailboats at MC tonight. A neighbor said she saw someone looking at the moorings a couple weeks ago.

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 11:00 AM

Marina Cay is being cleaned up. Scrub has taken it over and is putting in new gas tanks. Lots of landscaping finally being done.

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 01:03 PM

That’s great news!
G
Posted By: bailau

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 01:18 PM

Look forward to seeing that...what a really cool place back in the day
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 01:27 PM

Really looking forward to that being up and running again!

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 01:46 PM

Ratman first stayed there in 1966, so has a special affinity for the place. For now it seems they may be focusing on gas and water; not clear about the restaurant.
Posted By: Matagorda Dude

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 04:15 PM

That makes sense about the gas. Right now, you have to fill up in RT or even Leverick before turning the boat in at 10:00 on the last morning. The Leverick marina opens at 8:00. It is a tight fit on island time and a hassle if that does not line up with your itenerary. I guess you could fill up the day before but then the tanks are not topped off as they request.

In any event, it is so much easier to fill up in MC before turning the boat in to Scrub.

Re: Number of boats - 12/16/2021 04:30 PM

Loose Mongoose might also be an option, and likely cheaper because the gas does not need to be barged out.
Posted By: captmoby

Re: Number of boats - 12/17/2021 02:08 PM

Loose Mongoose doesn't have the depth for most mono's.
Posted By: Latadjust

Re: Number of boats - 12/17/2021 03:59 PM

What about the fuel dock in CGB? I haven't tried it.

Re: Number of boats - 12/17/2021 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Latadjust
What about the fuel dock in CGB? I haven't tried it.

They are open with diesel, gas, water, and propane.

Re: Number of boats - 12/21/2021 09:26 PM

Seventeen boats at Marina Cay tonight.

Re: Number of boats - 12/24/2021 09:12 PM

Twenty boats at MC tonight, including one large, older-style yacht.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline