TravelTalkOnline

Impact of high airfares

Posted By: RatmansWife

Impact of high airfares - 05/16/2022 07:57 PM

Like many of you, I follow airfares to the BVI. They are high and seemingly ever rising. We were lucky to buy tickets several weeks ago, which now look like a bargain!

While we opted for business class to Beef Island (for extra baggage and early boarding), even economy tickets to STT are no bargain.

We would like to invite guests. But with tickets so expensive, will people even find it worth the money? We're talking $2k (or more) for a round trip ticket.

Which got me thinking about the impact on tourism. Will it be just cruise shippers or ultra high end? What are your thoughts?
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/16/2022 09:50 PM

I fly AA out of Miami. Bought tickets a while ago. Paid $702 for 2 persons round trip to STT I drive to Maimi and park at the PUllman htole and pay $4.95/day. this trip it will ne 30 days of parking.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 12:36 PM

We were planning to go down this month. Since I still work I can only do Saturday to Saturday. AA CLT-SJU-EIS tickets are around $1600 each for coach. Ridiculous. It doesn't look like November ticket prices are any better. But wifey says we are going.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 12:43 PM

I have still been watching my ticket prices (JFK-STT) and while they have been up and down a little, kayak is now saying BUY. This trip will now cost me $5600 for our family of 4. We have no choice but to travel over Christmas since we have one on a college schedule and one still on a high school one which is compounding the issue. We don't travel much during the year and so the BVI is always the one trip we plan on but these prices are definitely going to start having an impact. But I think they may have more of an impact on WHO chooses to travel there vs how MANY can travel there. I hate to say this but these prices will be further weeding out people that are looking for an affordable spot. The BVI has never been cheap but the USVI was so I think they will start to see the impact first.
I am a small business owner in a tourist town and I can say, we have had record sales already. People are out and they are spending. I have no idea where the money is coming from and they appear not to care.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 04:09 PM

Have you looked at one-way fares? We're booked for Oct.-Nov. Booked ECP-ATL-STT with points. Then EIS-SJU-ATL-ECP for $430. STT is really no hassle coming in. It's the going out that can be a real hassle for us. Just something to look at.

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 05:49 PM

Adrian, I'll check out one ways. The problem is our destination is not Tortola. It's Anegada. If the airport on Anegada will open up to all local carriers, that will help tremendously. But right now I cannot get from CLT to Anegada in one day. Leaving for home I can. But not getting there.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 06:06 PM

ultimately, we had to start chartering to get to Anegada in 1 day. Used Ace Flight Center from STT (cheapest option) and Air America from SJU (Irma took them).

If I was doing it today, I'd check with Bode...
Posted By: PA_Ron

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 06:59 PM

Simple supply and demand issues or reality. The airlines have more $$$demand$$$ than seats. Until ALL the markets and public health stabilize the airlines are highly unlikely to invest in more seat capacity. Business destinations will always get the first investment . Recreational travel gets the last investment and capacity. Some markets pay the airlines to increase capacity, flight options, and frequency. This summer is likely to be a travel disaster.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 09:45 PM

Shortage of pilots also factors in
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/17/2022 11:03 PM

I posted this before but with the retirements of the 757 the only aircraft that can reliably operate non stop to the US from STT are the A319 or smaller 737 versions. That drops out about 70 seats per flight with no gate space for additional flights. As more 757’s retire the issue will get worse. Dropping ⅓ of the available seats will push prices way up!
Posted By: AutoPaint

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bailau
Shortage of pilots also factors in

This. And it's going to go on for years.

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
We were planning to go down this month. Since I still work I can only do Saturday to Saturday. AA CLT-SJU-EIS tickets are around $1600 each for coach. Ridiculous. It doesn't look like November ticket prices are any better. But wifey says we are going.

Love that wifey...best to M

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 03:46 PM

Rob, we celebrate #31 next week. I could not have picked a better partner. So when she says we are going, we are going. Hope to see you in November!
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 04:00 PM

Bill, We will be down June 2 which is our 38th. Double celebration!!!

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 05:51 PM

Congrats gentlemen...only 29 here. I had great timing as guy before me was such an arse I didnt have to lift the bar high 3 decades ago

wont be there in '22...wife wants to do more of the beach house and less a "floating box"...lol

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 06:25 PM

Rob, tell P she can come stay with us and do nothing. Plan is to stay on island for four months!

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 08:11 PM

RW-

Will try...I think you spoiled her from boating shenanigans with your stunning place and tranquility. She still talks about you and RW and your beautiful place my friend

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 08:15 PM

Just pulled the trigger on our flights-was scared to wait any longer. $5200 for the 4 of us. Sickening.

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 08:40 PM

Beacuse of a change in lfestyle, I now have the use of pilarus pc-12 airplane. Will go from Vero Beach direct to Virgin Gorda airport. I will keep it at VG airport while I am on island. Solves all the airline problems.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 09:17 PM

Let us know when you have empty seats..I'll bring the champagne and caviar!
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/18/2022 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by tpcook
I now have the use of pilarus pc-12 airplane. Will go from Vero Beach direct to Virgin Gorda airport. I will keep it at VG airport while I am on island. Solves all the airline problems.

I flew my SR 22 from Georgia to BVI. Long distance for my Cirrus. I actually beat some of my crew back to Atlanta as we all left at the same time (me and my son to EIS, and they went to Ferry, STT, ATL) . I had less waiting. Stopped in Bahamas and also Florida for fuel. A PC-12 sure solves some issues.

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/25/2022 11:32 PM

Google Flights sent a price alert this morning. The very expensive tickets we bought a month or so ago have now more than doubled in price! This is unbelievable.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
Google Flights sent a price alert this morning. The very expensive tickets we bought a month or so ago have now more than doubled in price! This is unbelievable.

I just checked our January dates - prices went up $500 pp since purchasing on March 9. Non weekend flights into STT. Crazy.

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 12:20 AM

Ours went up by $720 per ticket, one way, into Beef!

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 12:30 AM

Just looked at fares from Miami to STT in Nov/dec Still buy tickets at $175 /one way. certain days

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 01:14 AM

Looks like you can get from Miami to Beef for $202 on Dec. 14!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 12:42 PM

Delta just announced a schedule pull down for this summer. It should get the operation back to reasonable reliability issues but will continue to put upward pricing on seats. Looking forward I think next fall should return to more normal pricing across the industry. The pilot shortage mentioned will impact regional routes and legs like SJU-EIS might remain high. Major airlines do not have or foresee a pilot shortage.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 02:16 PM

Ahoy Captains,

SouthWest and JetBlue expect increases in Price and Volume -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...improve-revenue-outlook-as-travel-swells
Other travel metrics support the expectation of increases in Prices and Volume -
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/tech/airbnb-first-quarter-earnings/index.html
Yes, the Captains Compass is looking for more Yachts to Manage and Charter!

Fair Winds,
Brent from The Captains Compass
Posted By: GypsyMermaid

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 04:45 PM

Hey Folks, need some clarification on a a couple of points. Are most of you booking directly through the dedicated carriers or through Kayak, Expedia, etc? Also, when you use the one way ticket option can you use the Kayak, Expedia route. Have any of you experienced flight issues, delays. schedule changes or cancellations with Kayak, Expedia and been able to get compensated?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 04:55 PM

I always recommend booking directly. Much easier to get help if necessary.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 04:58 PM

Ditto what Jason says...I actually pay the $25 fee to speak toa human at AA when I book as i am always flexible on dates...same with hotels..

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 05:02 PM

Ditto Jason and Malcolm. Check the fares on Google Flights, then follow their link to the carrier.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 08:20 PM

I always book direct - have heard way too many horror stories of friends using booking services. Last trip it was especially important as we had flight issues EIS-SJU.
Posted By: Dirk Lovelace

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 09:53 PM

I booked with points on AA for 56,000 points for my wife and myself for our trip in late October..was $32 bucks. Got ahead of the crazy increases!!!
Posted By: GypsyMermaid

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/26/2022 11:26 PM

Thank you, sir. Makes sense.

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/27/2022 12:33 PM

I have booked through Travelocity many times (Delta flights) and have found them to be very good. I had to cancel our BVI trip due to COVID and I was very pleased with their customer service. I was able to chat with a real person and got all my credits applied without hassle and when it came time to re-book they redirected me to Delta who had all our information on file. Not a fan of kayak or Expedia. All that said I did book with Delta direct for my next trip.
I have not found that any of the old tricks (clearing cookies, using booking sites, using a different computer etc) has made any difference in the last few years. So without any obvious benefit of using a booking site, I will stick to booking with the carrier from now on.
I finally booked two weeks ago and now I could have saved $900 if I waited until this week (thank you Kayak for the very incorrect price prediction!). It's all a crap shoot right now.
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Impact of high airfares - 05/27/2022 12:51 PM

I almost feel guilty saying this, but I booked our flights from Charlotte to STT for our trip in November on the first day they became available. I got a heckuva deal! Fingers crossed nothing messes us up!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline