TravelTalkOnline

BVI Beach bars.

Posted By: Manpot

BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 06:24 PM

BVI beach bars were legendary...from "Stanleys" where Jimmy wrote "Cheeseburger in Paradise" ( Yes he told me that himself!)..to the early "Quito's where Q would play a song and then pour a drink ( The ants running up the tree in the middle of the Gazebo were a bonus). Of course there was "Bomba's"..for more than just Full Moon Parties. Outer islands had simple , reasonable beach bars like " Billy Bones"...We all had our favorites. Most are gone..most thanks to Miss Irma. The places that have rebuilt have gone upmarket ( "Pirates' Pub" becoming Saba Rock Resort) and, IMHO, lost their old appeal. So what's left?
Here's my fun challenge. I just had a beach bar lunch somewhere in the BVI's. I had a hot dog, two Red Stripes and a bottle of water with my feet in the sand and being cooled by the gentle trades. My bill? $13! Of course I gave $20 and refused change. I am here til July 31..name that beach bar and I will buy lunch for up to four in your group. First correct answer here on TTOL wins!!!( My close friends are excluded!!)
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 06:31 PM

hungry Pirates Bight!! typing duel
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 06:36 PM

Darn, I would have won! toast
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 06:43 PM

Bee Line?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 06:52 PM

Gertrudes

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 07:03 PM

Nope..but two good ones..

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 07:05 PM

Coco Loco
Posted By: SoakInSaltwater

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 07:11 PM

Patricia's at Smugglers

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 07:43 PM

That has to be it. That was my next guess.
Posted By: Ragtime

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 08:19 PM

Jimmy says on Sirius ch. 24 that Cheeseburger was written at Village Cay after a tough sail. And the proprietors at Le Select on St. Barts claim it was written there. Much blood shed and bones broken trying to climb the palm tree at Stanley’s tire swing.

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 08:30 PM

Soak in Salt Water WINS!! Let me know when you want to dine there! As for the Cheeseburger in Paradise tale..all I can say is that Jimmy "changed his tune". I hung out with Jimmy back in 1984 and he told me how it was written at Stanley's and he was renting the red roofed house at the end of CGB. On another occasion a TTOLer who has passed ran into Jimmy and Peter Tosh !! playing at Stanley's and he told him the same tale. I only believe what I am told one on one..and that is it! He gave the rights to Le Select to use the moniker but never claimed he wrote it there.It was the old Stanleys....and Patricia's on Smuggler's Cove is the best beach bar bargain in the BVI's..lunch on me Soak in Salt Water
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Soak in Salt Water WINS!! Let me know when you want to dine there! As for the Cheeseburger in Paradise tale..all I can say is that Jimmy "changed his tune". I hung out with Jimmy back in 1984 and he told me how it was written at Stanley's and he was renting the red roofed house at the end of CGB. On another occasion a TTOLer who has passed ran into Jimmy and Peter Tosh !! playing at Stanley's and he told him the same tale. I only believe what I am told one on one..and that is it! He gave the rights to Le Select to use the moniker but never claimed he wrote it there.It was the old Stanleys....and Patricia's on Smuggler's Cove is the best beach bar bargain in the BVI's..lunch on me Soak in Salt Water

Maybe written in one place, but inspired by the other?

I have heard him say it was inspired by Village Cay more than once, and it used to be on the website when they had Jimmy's writing about different songs a well (I loved reading that stuff and cannot believe they got rid of it - such crass commercialization!).

Congrats Soak! And enjoy dinner!

Keep Smiling!!!
Posted By: SoakInSaltwater

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 09:25 PM

Thanks, but I don't know when I'll be back. Have a cold one for me.

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 09:26 PM

When you hear a personal story told one on one then that is what I believe. I am not sure why he would change the tale..maybe pi$$ed at Stanley but he never challenged the Cheesburger in Paradise Stanley shirts although he sued everyone else except Le Select who used the moniker .? One other thing that makes no sense from a sailor's point of view. He says he had suffered a broken bowsprit on his way south and told me that CGB was an easy place to sail into and then smelled the burgers. With a broken bowsprit would a sailor beat his way up at the Sir Francis Drake Channel to get to Road Town? It was after that visit, he told me, that he rented the red roofed house at the west end of CGB for about four months..the house that was recently sold by Baseball Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax and his wife to Quito and Kim..quite a famous liltle beach house! I can also relate the real tale of "Dock of the Bay" for anyone who cares!!!
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 09:30 PM

If Quito bought that house, does that mean he isn't permanently relocated to Hawaii?

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 10:11 PM

It's a vacation rental owned by Quito and Kim and now up for sale again..along with Seven Peaks above it..the hotel, bar and , I believe their home on Ridge Road built by the Pascoes.
Posted By: Husker

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 10:21 PM

I was going to say Smuggler's as well (but only bc I think you had mentioned cheap dogs and beers in another thread), but was to late to the contest. I've been to Nigel's place there. I don't recall seeing Patricia's. Maybe she was closed at the time. I would like to hear the "Dock of the Bay" tale, Mal.
Posted By: calsail

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/20/2022 11:42 PM

Was it a double dog?

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/21/2022 03:10 AM

The "Dock of the Bay Story" is best told over somecold beers or wine..or by Steve Cropper himself who played one amazing night with The Elmtones in CGB..those there will never forget it!
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/21/2022 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Manpot
The "Dock of the Bay Story" is best told over somecold beers or wine..or by Steve Cropper himself who played one amazing night with The Elmtones in CGB..those there will never forget it!
Will never forget it Mal. Still have the tee-shirt I was wearing that Steve signed for me just moments before you knocked into me and spilt red wine all over it. It won't ever get washed. toast

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/21/2022 12:53 PM

Love it Mike..You and Jean are missed down here!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/21/2022 01:30 PM

one of my favorites!
Originally Posted by SoakInSaltwater
Patricia's at Smugglers

one of my favorites!

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/21/2022 01:47 PM

A huge plus at "Patricia's" is that big welcome smile from her and her hubby who is sweating over the grill...it may be the perfect beach bar on the perfect beach! Oh and her freshly made potato salad..wow!
Posted By: Aries4

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/22/2022 07:27 PM

Mal beat me to it but I was going to mention Patricia's potato salad! Many balk at the idea of warm potato salad in the 90 degree heat of the beach. But, get over your fears and grab a plate. You won't regret it!
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/23/2022 04:32 PM

I've heard the Dock of the Bay story but I'm always up for a retelling of it over beers!!!

Aries4- yeah mayonnaise is so loaded with preservatives these days it's not the potato salad at the picnic that gives you food poisoning it's more likely e-coli from the lettuce in a salad!
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/23/2022 05:08 PM

Patricia's potato salad is awesome!!
Posted By: grillheel

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/25/2022 12:47 PM

Is the Fat Virgin in North Sound still there?

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/25/2022 01:00 PM

I dont believe The Fat Virgin has been rebuilt since Irma. They made the best fries there..but, just as great, "Gene's" in Sea Cows Bay , Tortola..she's been making chili fries for me..yum!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/25/2022 01:09 PM

My vote for best fries in the BVI goes to Cow Wreck!

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/25/2022 02:02 PM

Ann took her best fries with her to Tipsy.

Fat Virgin showed signs of rebuilding, but will check it out again in 2 weeks.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/25/2022 02:55 PM

Malcolm, ask Robin where their best goat and key limes come from.
Posted By: grillheel

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/25/2022 06:03 PM

I haven’t been down since Irma. We always enjoyed a lunch at Fat Virgin. Hope it comes back at some point. (And we do too!)
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/26/2022 06:44 PM

Thank you Manpot for giving me something to dream about.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/26/2022 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
Ann took her best fries with her to Tipsy.

Fat Virgin showed signs of rebuilding, but will check it out again in 2 weeks.

Biras Creek put in a new dock and is building something where Fat Virgin used to be. Unfortunately Esther Wheatley who owned Fat Virgin, will not be reopening that specific restaurant however.
Posted By: betsyg

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/26/2022 08:17 PM

Where is Esther Wheatley now?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/26/2022 09:28 PM

Any plans for the old Biras Creek restaurant? Such amazing views!
G

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/28/2022 04:45 PM

Still on Virgin Gorda! She owns a spa by Old Yarde Village in the Valley. And is working as a Realtor for Coldwell Bankers.

Here is a good article about here recently published in the Virgin Islands Property and Yacht Magazine.

https://bvipropertyyacht.com/vi-bvi/a-lifelong-love-affair/
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/28/2022 08:40 PM

Very outdated article but I did also hear from a local that they are still planning on a comeback. No idea who is doing it. I imagine years away....
https://www.bvitraveller.com/biras-creek-marina-resort/

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/29/2022 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
G

They put a brand new dock in (just about the highest dock I've ever seen in the BVI lol). And they are actively building structures where the Fat Virgin and the small, multi-colored cottages used to be. No idea what the plans are but I have to imagine some time of Marina, bar and restaurant
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: BVI Beach bars. - 06/29/2022 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
G

They put a brand new dock in (just about the highest dock I've ever seen in the BVI lol). And they are actively building structures where the Fat Virgin and the small, multi-colored cottages used to be. No idea what the plans are but I have to imagine some time of Marina, bar and restaurant

I assumed the large dock going up there was a rebuild of YCCS, not part of Biras. Am I wrong?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline