TravelTalkOnline

Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls

Posted By: GypsyMermaid

Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 01:28 PM

On a recent charter (9/23 - 10/5), I was asked to get off an apparently FCFS (white) mooring ball in White Bay, JVD by another cruiser. I had seen them in Leverick and they were travelling with another charter boat. They told me the ball was reserved and I had to leave. A heated exchange followed but he could not provide me with any proof the ball was indeed reserved so I stayed. It was late afternoon and I didn't feel like moving the boat that late in the day. Later he placed a yellow ball which had "Reserved" on it to the mooring ball. As we left the next morning, the same boat which we saw in Leverick traveling with them left a mooring on the other side of White Bay and moved to the ball we just left. Was I wrong here? Are there reservable balls other than Boaty Balls? If so, what's the process?
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 02:22 PM

Sounds like someone breaking the rules for their own convenience to me.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 03:30 PM

Where was the ball? Ivan's side or Soggy side?

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 04:22 PM

Soggy side
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 05:44 PM

Sounds like a complete a-hole. Good on you for standing your ground.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 06:12 PM

That is a good reason for keeping the receipt for the mooring ball. Be sure to get that boat's name, the name of the charter company for that boat and a good description of the boat. Photograph on your I phone, with sound too.

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyMermaid
Soggy side

There is at least one reservable mooring ball on the Soggy side...not that the one you were on was for sure.

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 07:52 PM

Good to know. Which one is it of the three and how do you reserve it?

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyMermaid
Good to know. Which one is it of the three and how do you reserve it?

I'm not totally sure but I know our friends will reserve one through Coco Loco. We don't take our boat to the Soggy side. We prefer the Ivan's side.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/14/2022 08:42 PM

Same thing happened to me with that ball about 4 years ago...some boat came and said it was reserved and I said prove it and they couldnt. I believe it was a Coco Loco ball and they came out as well. He finally relented.

Leaving the next day it was windy and the field has lots of boats. Long story short although I have plenty of time on the 514 PC the pendant drifted and I clipped the line and it wrapped the prop so limped out on on one engine dodging boats to open water where we dove and untangled the prop with no damage to the boat

The boat passed us on the way with dirty looks in to get their ball (sans pendant)....

The pendant hangs in my basement as reminder to stay humble and hungry....not a proud captain moment but karma is a bitch
Posted By: capttom

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/15/2022 10:41 PM

This would be a cool comment except for the things it doesn't say. You should know who the ball belongs to because you should have paid for it. That would give you a clear indication of who it belongs to. But beyond that, you should definitely send them about 150 bucks for a new pennant...you ran it over, left the harbour, and split. And just guessing here, but if they came out while the shouting match was going on, well.....people don't leave the workplace and jump in the dinghy just willy-nilly like that, they came out for a reason. that pennant in the basement belongs back in White Bay.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Reserving Mooring Balls-Not Boaty Balls - 10/15/2022 11:49 PM

i did pay for it sport...and they (uncertain as to owner) came out on a dinghy to collect and then again to tell the other captain the same. There was no shouting match.

Anything else you need?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline