TravelTalkOnline

1st Time in January

Posted By: Crown31

1st Time in January - 11/27/2022 10:41 AM

Hello All, On a Moorings 4500 Jan 21 for 1 week with a sleep aboard Friday the 20th. Never been that time of year and dread crowds/competing for balls (and would not sleep if i had to throw an anchor). Would it make a big difference to start somewhere other than Norman/Cooper? I do plan on reserving boaty balls when able. I assume it's still like calling Ticketmaster back in the day and they're gone pretty quick?

Also, how much of a difference will the "north swells" make? Are their certain mooring spots we should avoid if it's bad?

As always, thanks!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: 1st Time in January - 11/27/2022 12:46 PM

The last week of January is not usually that crowded. If you get a North Swell that can drive more boats into anchorages not effected. That’s mainly a issue around Jost. I might suggest you consider putting a skipper onboard for the first night or two and practice anchoring. It’s a essential not optional skill. In all my years down there my only issues at night have been on Mooring balls not anchored. The balls take a lot of abuse.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: 1st Time in January - 11/27/2022 12:56 PM

Completely agree with George.

Re: 1st Time in January - 11/27/2022 01:27 PM

I should add that starting further east can get you out of the knot of boats that can form on the weekend but again the week you are going might not be a issue. Since you will be on the dock the first night you might walk up to the Moorings welcome area in the morning. Log on to the guest internet. It’s faster than the boat wifi and see if you can get a boatyball at Cooper the first night. You will need to be ready to click at 7AM.
As far as the North Swell the biggest overnight anchorage it effects with balls is Cane Garden Bay. Guana Island will also be unusable. The direction of the swell varies a bit and it can impact Cooper Island if it’s a larger Swell. It will make the Dogs, Baths, Monkey point and Savannah Bay not really usable as day stops once it’s gets above 2 or 3 feet. It can wrap around and effect White Bay on Jost. The good news is it’s very well forecast. I use the attached link to check as well as wind guru. Since you are doing a sleepaboard if you see a swell forecast for later in the week you could slip down the SFD and up to CGB the first night if it’s a stop you want to make.

https://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz715

The link is for North of the BVI so add about 6 hours to swell timing.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: 1st Time in January - 11/27/2022 02:25 PM

George you list Savannah as a day stop. Does Moorings allow charters to visit Savannah? It is redlined for our charter company - just curious.

Re: 1st Time in January - 11/27/2022 03:21 PM

It is allowed by the Moorings. It’s actually a nice overnight spot with a good forecast and no swell. You can’t go into Pond/Mahoe bay.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline