TravelTalkOnline

Next bareboat destination post-BVI

Posted By: Jf1234

Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/10/2023 10:04 PM

Hi all - just returned from a great BVI trip; 6 of us on a 48-foot monohull. This was our first extended charter. Curious where everyone would recommend as a next destination, now that we've gotten our feet wet in the BVI? Where would up the challenge factor a bit more from here?

Thanks!
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/10/2023 10:13 PM

We did a couple in Greece and loved it
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/10/2023 10:39 PM

wonderful next spot

https://www.americanyacht.net/sailing-grenadines-3-critical-things-know/
Posted By: tothedogs

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/10/2023 11:01 PM

Grenadines for sure. Best trip is to start from St. Lucia or St. Vincent and drop the boat off in Grenada. We will be there in late June for10 days.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/11/2023 12:53 AM

Use extra caution in St. Vincent and several islands in the chain. Eastern Caribbean Cruisers Facebook forum is the one to watch for crime warning postings. Last time we were there the boat we were on (friend’s yacht - they are residents) was boarded twice while in Canouan. Evidently it is a common occurrence - they have a state of the art alarm system.
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/11/2023 09:25 AM

Unless you have an international captain's license, you will have to hire a captain in Greece. Just as well since you need to know the language to find a spot in the small harbors. No mooring balls.
Posted By: Eva

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/11/2023 11:46 AM

The Bahamas have some great chartering destinations, namely the Abacos and the Exumas. Though still recovering from Hurricane Dorian in 2019, the Abacos are a chartering dream, with lots to offer boaters. For a more remote and challenging experience, the Exumas are a beach-lovers fantasy. The time of year you travel can make a difference, though, since the islands can be susceptible to wintry weather patterns.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/11/2023 02:56 PM

The Grenadines for sure. Agree with a start in St. Lucia with drop off in Grenada. You need more than a week to really enjoy it though. There is more crime there, unfortunately, but it is also less touristy. If you want to private message me I can give you recommendations on how to keep yourself safer, places to avoid and people to contact. We will be back down there in December!
Posted By: Nibj

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/12/2023 03:10 AM

We enjoyed Antigua and are trying SVI next. I would love to try the Grenadines.
Posted By: bukovsrp

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/12/2023 03:44 AM

Looking at Greece for next year. Can you recommend route (Cyclades, Ionian, Aegean)? Also what charter company?
Thanks
Posted By: polaris

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/12/2023 01:34 PM

Agree on Grenadines. Easiest way, IMO, is to charter in St. Vincent and return there.
But, I highly recommend sailing in Belize. Very different vibe and experience.
Posted By: Matt W

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 04/12/2023 08:13 PM

We're fans of the Exumas as well: protected sailing on the bank in the prettiest water you can find, easy logistics from the US, solitude/remote exploring, and great fishing. You'll get that added challenge you're looking.

Next new destination on our list is Antigua/Barbuda - checking it out in a few weeks. The one-way from St. Lucia to Grenada is on our list too.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 05/24/2023 07:51 PM

Agree that the Windwards are spectacular!
Our group of three couples have sailed Greece, Croatia, and Italy the last few years.

I just posted a Windwards Trip Report in the Southern Caribbean Forum from our April trip a couple of weeks ago.
Take a look, more detailed day by day to follow.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 05/25/2023 01:00 PM

We are looking into Key West. Anyone have experience down there?

Moorings - Key West link

(I put this on the US forum as well.)

Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 05/25/2023 01:54 PM

Completely different experience in the Keys. Poor holding and minimal mooring balls so overnights in slips. Visiting “towns” not islands and beach bars. Dry Tortugas is great if you have a decent weather window but absolutely nothing there but awesome snorkeling and Fort Jefferson. So many other places to go this isn’t even in my top 20.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Next bareboat destination post-BVI - 05/26/2023 04:50 PM

Starting about 46 years ago my wife and I started sailing. During those years we have sailed all of the places mentioned with the exception of Greece and Antigua. Florida's west coast and intracoastal waterway and the Chesapeake Bay should be included. Because of my time in the US Marines, I have no interest in the Pacific Islands. With all of that in mind we keep coming back to the BVI. We think the BVI has the best sailing. The USVI would be number two. The Abacos would be number three. Have fun whatever you decide to do.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline