TravelTalkOnline

Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th

Posted By: Manpot

Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/01/2018 12:15 PM

Overnighting on St T on our way to Tortola today. Had dinner last night at the newly changed hands " Hook, Line and Sinker". What a difference..and sadly not in a good way. I'll try to be kind here but it has changed from a cozy waterfront Caribbean restaurant with really good food to a kind of "trying to be hip" cafe with..lets be kind again..not so good food. My almond coated fish was OK..but Candace's prime rib was cold, not even warm. The service was fine and the staff tried to fix her meal..but it didnt make much difference. I'd love to hear from Capt Jay on this and hear it was just a one night bad experience..
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/01/2018 04:35 PM

Mal, we were there the night before you and the food was just ok. We had the conch fritters for an appetizer. The serving was 4 fritters and they were cold. I also had the prime rib and it wasn't very warm. The service was good, but the place was so loud we couldn't even hear each other.
Posted By: joeandholls

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/10/2018 01:26 PM

Not real happy hearing of this "progress".......HL&S was always a good one to hit to hit with a few hours to kill on STT.......suggestions for a replacement?
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/10/2018 03:54 PM

Petite Pump Room second floor of the ferry terminal. Sit on the deck, drink, eat, watch the seaplanes take off and land.

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/10/2018 04:29 PM

Or the beach bar at Emerald Beach Resort.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/11/2018 12:11 PM

I have eaten at HLS 15 or so times over the past 5 months. The food has been consistently good. Service has been good too except last week when our waitress seemed to forget about us sitting outside. I don't think the kitchen staff has changed with the new ownership. The addition of AC will be a plus when the humidity increases.
Posted By: wizoc

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 03/26/2018 07:27 PM

We ate at HLS 4 times several weeks ago and again last Friday. Food was fine, some of it even quite good. Drinks on the other hand left a lot to be desired. No rum or so little as to be nonexistent in Pina Coladas. There was a young man walking around to the tables who said it was his third day as manager. He took care of the drinks so they seem to be working on any problems that may exist.
Posted By: Thistle

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/09/2018 01:46 AM

Sorry to hear about others' neg experiences. We had a nice evening at HLS on March 24th. Our waitress "Marg" was super pleasant and attentive and the manager was ever present. The food was just about what I would expect for the location, prices, etc. The conch fritters were excellent and served hot, caesar salads w/chicken good and the prime rib ordered by our 14 year old daughter was generous and served hot. It was a 30 yard easy walk from our boat on the slip at CYOA but even if we had walked or driven from further away, we wouldn't have had any complaints.

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/09/2018 03:04 PM

Sounds like the new manager is just what they needed..nonetheless I think we'll wait before going back..for us it really was a waste of $$.

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/17/2018 11:35 PM

Dinner at "Grande Cru" at Yacht Haven..just amazing on all fronts..Our new go to place.

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/20/2018 03:26 PM

On our way back from Tortola this time we decided to check out " Grande Cru"..wow! The service..the food and atmosphere were outstanding. Our usual go to is " Oceana" but,since Irma did her job, "Oceana" is closed...but this is owned by the same folks. Just wonderful. Big problem now..when "Oceana" reopens which one do we choose??
Posted By: Annoddddd

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/22/2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RickinAtlanta
Petite Pump Room second floor of the ferry terminal. Sit on the deck, drink, eat, watch the seaplanes take off and land.

Petite Pump room isn't serving food yet. Just drinks and we do love waiting there for ferries.

I didn't hear anything about when/if they will start selling food.

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/22/2018 05:49 PM

I talked with Michael in Feb. (and will again next week) but he said since most of their business is ferry customers, there just isn't enough business to support a full kitchen staff.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/22/2018 08:10 PM

I had lunch at Petite Pump Room on March 8. Have they since stopped serving food?

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/23/2018 03:07 PM

I looked at their FB page and their web site and it looks like they are serving food.

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/23/2018 04:12 PM

They were serving food as usual a week ago..
Posted By: RickG

Re: Hook, Line and Sinker..and almost raw. The service was fine and th - 04/24/2018 04:14 PM

Hook Line is closing for carnival and doing a kitchen renovation then.

Cheers, RickG
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline