TravelTalkOnline

First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race

Posted By: JMSeas

First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 05/13/2019 07:47 PM

Any Itinerary suggestions? This is our first time chartering in the USVI & BVI so also first time with CYOA. I've poured through many posts on this forum and found tons of great advice!

I'm hoping Captain Jay will chime in at some point too.

We'll be in the Virgin Islands June 2 - 17. The 1st week on a Lucia 40 and the 2nd in Cowpet Bay condo for my son to race in the St. Thomas Optimist Regatta. We are thinking a clockwise trip around Tortola would be best?

Itinerary:
1. Charlotte Amalie
2. Jost Vandyke - clear customs
3. Cane Garden Bay
4. Leverick Bay, Virgin Gorda (slip at the marina?)
5. Cooper, Salt, Peter or Norman Island - which one?
6. St. John: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay
7. Cowpet Bay, St Thomas (logistics, transfer Opti sailing stuff stop)
8. Charlotte Amalie

The 2nd week we can day trip around St. Thomas or ferry to St. John?

We picked CYOA largely on the helpfulness of Sarah@CYOA. After seeing all the complimentary posts on them, I'm glad we went with CYOA.

thanks,
John Mc..
Posted By: TomSW

Re: First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 05/13/2019 10:04 PM

I sent you a private message. Let me know if we can help out.
Tom
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 05/13/2019 10:08 PM

Day 3. Unless you need to eat ashore, I would make my way east to Guana Island mooring field. Very nice beach and great sundowner views. Also puts you closer to the The Baths on Day 4 so you can arrive early to get a ball. Head up to Leverick mid-afternoon.

Day 5 - I like Peter Island anchorages and beaches on south and north shore. The Bight at Norman is a good choice if you want to snorkel The Indians or The Caves.

Day 6. Hopefully you'll be able to clear in using the ROAM app, otherwise you'll need to dinghy into Cruz Bay. Again, unless you plan to eat dinner ashore, there are so many wonderful bays on the north and south shore with great beaches to enjoy (Francis/Maho, Little Lameshur and Salt Pond Bay) that are 50-60 minute motor upwind from Cruz Bay. If you can clear in using ROAM app, you could head into Hansen Bay for a lunchtime anchor stop at the Lime Out floating restaurant, then continue to Salt Pond Bay or Lameshur.

Day 7. Perhaps easier to grab a free public mooring a Christmas Cove, Little St James Island and dinghy to Cowpet Bay than deal with anchoring. Not sure there are any public moorings in Cowpet and the bay looks full of private moorings. You can get a pizza at the Pizza Pi boat in Christmas Cove.

PS. Yay Sarah!!!
Posted By: Thistle

Re: First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 05/13/2019 11:39 PM

Good choice with CYOA - I've had nothing but positive experience in my two charters with them. Just can't beat the convenience to STT airport, friendly service and great boats.

Captain Jay will have good input but you have excellent advice from BaardJ.

To mix things up a bit, I'll throw out the suggestion of going counter-clockwise:

Day 1: Depart CYOA by 11:00. Clear customs at West End/Sopers Hole (no Ferry traffic to deal with). From there, sail across Sir Francis Drake Channel and spend first night at The Bight at Norman Island (snorkel The Indians and/or The Caves).

Day 2: Sail to Peter or Cooper for night.

Day 3: Start early and head up to Leverick Bay. Take a taxi to The Baths (avoid the competition for a mooring and swim to shore challenge). Arrive for a late lunch at the Top of the Baths, enjoy the Baths (after potential cruise ship traffic) and taxi back to Leverick for Pirate Show and dinner ashore or onboard.

Day 4: Leave Leverick early, snorkel The Dogs, Monkey Point? Sail around East End of Tortola - night at Marina Cay?

Day 5: Beam/broad reach sail to Cane Garden Bay OR Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke for 5th night.

Day 6: Sail back into USVI using ROAM and spend 6th night at Christmas Cove for Pizza delivered to your boat (or pick up) from the permanently moored/anchored Pizza Pi.

Day 7: Easy 45 minute motor to Charlotte Amalie cruise ship fuel dock and 10 minute motor to CYOA.

Be sure and check Cruise Ship schedule to avoid the crowds at Cane Garden and the Baths (usually gone by 2:30 PM).

Best tip - have a wonderful time and good luck to your son!
Posted By: Twanger

Re: First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 05/21/2019 05:50 PM

The only thing that sticks out at is: That will be a long one-day sail from Cane Garden to Leverick.
Just about all up wind.
Posted By: GrantMar

Re: First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 05/28/2019 03:24 PM

Hey we will be there from the 1st to the 10th. What's your boat name?
We are tranquility.

Originally Posted by JMSeas
Any Itinerary suggestions? This is our first time chartering in the USVI & BVI so also first time with CYOA. I've poured through many posts on this forum and found tons of great advice!

I'm hoping Captain Jay will chime in at some point too.

We'll be in the Virgin Islands June 2 - 17. The 1st week on a Lucia 40 and the 2nd in Cowpet Bay condo for my son to race in the St. Thomas Optimist Regatta. We are thinking a clockwise trip around Tortola would be best?

Itinerary:
1. Charlotte Amalie
2. Jost Vandyke - clear customs
3. Cane Garden Bay
4. Leverick Bay, Virgin Gorda (slip at the marina?)
5. Cooper, Salt, Peter or Norman Island - which one?
6. St. John: Cruz Bay or Coral Bay
7. Cowpet Bay, St Thomas (logistics, transfer Opti sailing stuff stop)
8. Charlotte Amalie

The 2nd week we can day trip around St. Thomas or ferry to St. John?

We picked CYOA largely on the helpfulness of Sarah@CYOA. After seeing all the complimentary posts on them, I'm glad we went with CYOA.

thanks,
John Mc..
Posted By: AndyW

Re: First Time CYOA US/BVI Charter & Optimist race - 09/09/2019 04:14 PM

Hello! I was wondering how your trip went and what itinerary did you end up following? I have "Metis" @ CYOA reserved for May of 2020 and it is also my first time bareboating. I'd love to know how your experience was and any itinerary tips you can offer. So far I've almost finished reading the Virgin Islands Cruising Guide and I'm just starting to put together a wish list for the itinerary (realizing it is all subject to change).

Thanks!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline