TravelTalkOnline

Just returned from St. John

Posted By: michellepvm

Just returned from St. John - 04/14/2021 05:02 PM

Just thought I'd post a quick update about St. John. We were on island from Friday, April 2 - Saturday, April 10. We found it was not nearly as busy as we had anticipated. We visit St. John 2-3 times a year and were expecting it to be crazy after all we had read and heard. We were pleasantly surprised that it was not that bad. We visited the following beaches: Maho, Honeymoon, Saltwell Bottom (My new absolute favorite!!), Lovango Cay, and Solomon. We spent two full days on Lovango Cay and had dinner there one night. We will visit Lovango multiple times now on every trip. Their service is beyond amazing. We also visited Miss Lucy's. The busiest places were Miss Lucy's and High Tide restaurant but we were always able to get a table. We did decide to eat dinner earlier than normal and were normally at restaurants for dinner by 5:00 or so. We also ate at Ocean 362 and Skinny Legs, among others. Something we really enjoyed this trip was hiking up Margaret Hill every morning instead of working out in the gym. It's a great hike with a beautiful view at the top and great exercise everyday. And, you can walk to the trail head from town. It's right next to Mongoose Junction.

And, the biggest surprise was for our 3:35 flight out of STT on Saturday. We were curb to seats in the airport in maybe 20 minutes tops. We don't have global entry or precheck. We only have carry ons but it was still not bad at all. We planned to be early so we had 3 hours in the airport which was not fun. The airport does not have enough seats as there are so many flights.

We had a fun and relaxing trip and can't wait to get back!! Oh, and we loved the Windmill Bar!!
Posted By: scottlyn

Re: Just returned from St. John - 04/16/2021 02:56 AM

Thank you so much for update!! We are heading down on Monday and cannot wait! You mentioned a few places that we have not been to, and we always love new places!!
Thanks again!!
Posted By: toast

Re: Just returned from St. John - 04/16/2021 10:34 AM

I just googled Lovango Cay, I have not heard of that resort before. I am assuming it is fairly new. Very Intriguing offerings.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Just returned from St. John - 04/16/2021 11:11 AM

Things quiet down after Easter. Your approach of eating early is what we do. Saltwell Bottom is super quiet as locals don't want to pay for beach access. There is always somewhere to be alone on St. John. It is not going be a north shore beach, unless you walk all the way to the end of Francis Bay and find the picnic table under the tree there.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: cyclingdoc

Re: Just returned from St. John - 05/08/2021 05:41 PM

Another airport comment. We left STT last sunday at 3:30pm. Zero line for US C&I. 10 minutes for baggage drop off. So nice.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Just returned from St. John - 05/08/2021 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by toast
I just googled Lovango Cay, I have not heard of that resort before. I am assuming it is fairly new. Very Intriguing offerings.

Lovango Key has been around a long time. The offerings were far more interesting long ago. Download Eric Stone’s song Lovango Key and he will fill you in on the changes!
Posted By: sailATX

Re: Just returned from St. John - 05/09/2021 12:32 AM

Wow nice to hear your trip report. We are going for a week in late June - hoping it's not super busy then too but I assume with school out it will be!!
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Just returned from St. John - 05/20/2021 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Originally Posted by toast

Lovango Key has been around a long time. The offerings were far more interesting long ago. Download Eric Stone’s song Lovango Key and he will fill you in on the changes!

The business of a resort at Lovango Cay is fairly new - within the last 2 years. People have lived there before that for centuries but businesses were never in existence there until this current incarnation.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: Just returned from St. John - 05/20/2021 11:23 PM

We ate lunch there in February while on a chewed charter. It was very, very good. Pricey but the quality was worth it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline