TravelTalkOnline

St John anchorages in May

Posted By: dfny36

St John anchorages in May - 05/09/2021 02:47 PM

Hi - I've sailed the SVI but never the USVI. I'm trying to get a handle on what the USVI is like. I am looking for nature and no crowds (don't need restaurants, night life, etc). I always assumed USVI would be more busy and commercial, but am wondering if I was wrong.

If I stick to going around St John, what are the anchorages like? Also, I understand in the park area (I assume that's where it's most quiet) I must use a mooring and not anchor. Do I run the risk of them filling up and not getting a mooring?

Any experience you can share is appreciated. Specifically about end of May. I understand that's out of the main season, but maybe this year is more busy anyway due to there being a lot of charter boats moved to USVI from BVI?
Posted By: cyclingdoc

Re: St John anchorages in May - 05/09/2021 11:39 PM

Hard to say due to increased usvi travel due to Covid restrictions elsewhere. Typically it’s never really an issue anytime with summer being almost a non issue. We were there last week though and every mooring at Lind, Caneel, Scott were taken. Still moorings at Maho and Francis though anytime. The north shore beaches are pretty close together so backup plans are easy. You will definitely be around other boats. 90% will be cats over 42’ with their generators humming. Hardly noticeable though with a fan running.

No anchoring at usvi park areas. Most anchoring is only in coral Bay Area, magens, Christmas cove, Lindberg, brewers water island to name a few.

Moorings are $26 a night.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: St John anchorages in May - 05/10/2021 02:18 AM

If one has a US National Parks pass, park moorings @ St. John are half price. That's not a hard way to let your Nat'l Parks pass put its cost back in your pocket.
Posted By: sail445

Re: St John anchorages in May - 05/11/2021 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Breeze
If one has a US National Parks pass, park moorings @ St. John are half price. That's not a hard way to let your Nat'l Parks pass put its cost back in your pocket.

I was told the park moorings were half price only with a NP Senior card.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: St John anchorages in May - 05/11/2021 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
Originally Posted by Breeze

I was told the park moorings were half price only with a NP Senior card.

I believe, based on the website below, that it is only the Senior Pass (previously called Golden Age) and the Access Pass which give you the 50% off mooring fees. Senior Pass is for 62 and older and Access Pass is for people with disabilities.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline