TravelTalkOnline

Historic shipwreck in Coral Bay

Posted By: RickG

Historic shipwreck in Coral Bay - 09/07/2021 02:20 PM

Leah and Colin from FlyAway Charters and Dickey our resident commercial diver have done some work to help document a 1700s era shipwreck. Leah is also the Commodore of the Coral Bay Yacht Club.

https://stjohntradewinds.com/divers-explore-historic-shipwreck-in-coral-bay-harbor/

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: FLJim

Re: Historic shipwreck in Coral Bay - 09/07/2021 05:25 PM

Great info - also the link on the Santa Monica wreck. I've seen Santa Monica rock on the charts - now I know how it got its name.

Somewhat off-topic - is the Coral Bay mega marina a done deal, and what part of the bay does it eat up? (I'm sure that must be a sore subject).
Posted By: RickG

Re: Historic shipwreck in Coral Bay - 09/07/2021 07:01 PM

The Summers End marina project does not have it's Army Core of Engineers permit yet. Governor Bryan overrode the CZM to grant the VI license. Not a done deal and there are many lawsuits against them by the owners of the land for not honoring the deals.

On another note, the Coral Bay Community Council has a grant to build more dinghy docks in Coral Bay. This includes a dock at Dolphin Market. The current wooden dinghy dock was built by the boating community; It abuts the original concrete town dock.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Historic shipwreck in Coral Bay - 09/09/2021 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
On another note, the Coral Bay Community Council has a grant to build more dinghy docks in Coral Bay. This includes a dock at Dolphin Market. The current wooden dinghy dock was built by the boating community; It abuts the original concrete town dock.

Cheers, RickG

Woohoo! It would be very helpful to land a dinghy in by the market. The current solution of wading in through all the sea grass is not attractive.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline