TravelTalkOnline

St. Croix question?

Posted By: chavato

St. Croix question? - 01/09/2022 04:30 PM

We are planning on a 7-day charter out of St. Thomas at the end of the month...looking over the itinerary the only question is whether or not to sail 40 miles to St. Croix...any advice? Pros/cons? Thanks!
Posted By: Matt W

Re: St. Croix question? - 01/09/2022 07:34 PM

To add on to this - anyone have any experience fishing between St John and St Croix? This is probably the only reason we would attempt the trip down there.

Have thought about building it into a 7-day USVI/SVI trip. Down to St Croix from St John and back up to Culebra, hoping to take advantage of prevailing wind direction. Wouldn't attempt if it was going to be an uncomfortable ride for the crew.

Re: St. Croix question? - 01/09/2022 07:43 PM

@BaardJ wrote a trip report that included St Croix - I found it really helpful. Here's the link:

BaardJ USVI SVI BVI trip report

Re: St. Croix question? - 01/09/2022 08:50 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: St. Croix question? - 01/11/2022 08:49 PM

If you're just looking to fish, head ~6nm directly south from Ram Head, St John. That will put you close to the south drop. There is a steep ridge of seamounts that rise to within 65 ft of the surface. The ridge is about ~2.7nm long and runs SW to NE. Troll along the ridge.

The lumpiest part of the St John to St Croix sail is usually the first few miles in the relatively shallow water south of St John. Once you get further offshore the seas are more organized with longer period waves.

For my crew comfort, I usually look for days with sustained winds below 16 kts (4-5 ft seas) with 13 kts being my sweet spot. If wind has been blowing 20+ kts for several days, you'll have 7-8+ ft seas for some time even if the wind has eased.

Re: St. Croix question? - 01/12/2022 12:58 AM

Good to know - thanks!

Re: St. Croix question? - 01/12/2022 03:20 PM

Thanks BaardJ - I can see the seamounts clearly on the Boating app relief shading. Will check it out when we finally do USVI for the first time.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline