Member Spotlight
pat
pat
Brookfield, CT.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
shellyb
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (CaribbeanCanadians, Swifty, JandIrene, Billtjw, timnboston, Kathleen, cbf, RatmansWife, IWIWSE, deliveryskipper, SacoFrank, lcote, Fitzhughlaw, GeorgeC1, KirkB, AlanB, DEL, eightzerobits, Todd, Kevin_B, fabila, JeanneB, Cap’n Rog, Beansbbq, marybeth, Matt W, Manpot, jazzgal, 9 invisible), 878 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
1 hour ago Feb '25 trip planning - AA to EIS [by Cleobeach]
Anyone have recent experience or news about AA to EIS from Miami?

I am considering it for our Feb 25 trip. Memory tells me this route was having issues.
0 37 Read More
2 hours ago Below Deck Boat Pic [by CaribLee]
It is currently docked in Simpson Bay Lagoon. Great view of it from Skipjacks. Now if I can only figure out how to get on board.
1 2 125 Read More
7 hours ago Sunday At Rendez Vous Lounge [by CaribLee]
Another fun afternoon at Rendez Vous' Jazz Brunch. Bobby Jagger was our lunch guest and he got up and sang a couple of songs which is always a treat. And it was great seeing wendyk again. A nice way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon. And I included one sunset pic from the day before. It was nice to finally see the sun.
4 5 272 Read More
17 hours ago How Bertines became Bertines. [by AlanB]
Hey y'all, it's been a long time. Posting this because I just ran across some sad news related to the island.

Bernie Poticha who owned and ran Bertines Restaurant and 5 bedroom inn up on the top of the hill overlooking Grand Case with his wife Christine, died last December in Madison, VA, Bernie died peacefully at home with Christine at his bedside. After leaving the island Bernie and Christine owned and operated Bertines North in Madison County VA for many years. One of our most memorable island experiences is all about fellow Chicagoans and St. Martin restauranteurs, Bernie and Christine Poticha.

We dined at Bertines twice in the years just before the Poticha's left the island. It was one of our favorite dining spots. Our first time we were the only customers in the place, where Bernie did the cooking and Christine operated and served in the open air dining room, with that great view of Grand Case. I remember I had Bernie's wonderful "Steak On A Hot Rock", and Rosemary, the Creole Shrimp. We struck up a friendly conversation that night, and toward the end of dinner we mentioned to Christine that we were from metro Chicago. We were unaware that seven or eight years before, Bernie and Christine had moved to the island from Chicago. Bernie came out of the kitchen and joined us after dinner and the four of us spent several hours chatting over a couple of glasses of wine. We got the sense that as their kids were growing up, they would probably be heading back to the States, mostly due to educational concerns for the kids...and they ended up relocating to Madison County Virginia in 1992. The most wonderful part of the discussion was Bernie's story of how they became restauranteurs and innkeepers on St. Martin.

Back around 1981/82 Bernie and Christine were vacationing on the island and had dinner one night at the location that was to become Bertines. Bernie said they were the only diners that evening and the owner at the time (I cannot recall the name) ended up sitting down with them for an after dinner drink. During the conversation, the owner mentioned that he wanted to retire and he was going to be looking for a buyer for the restaurant and inn at some point in the near future. Bernie told us that he was so taken with the place, it's location, the view, everything about it, that at one point he just blurted out, "This place is just great, when you decide you want to sell, here's my number, call me!" What Bernie apparently didn't understand was that Island business was often done by oral contract. And that when he made that comment, the owner interpreted it as a deal. A little less than a year later, the Poticha's phone rang and the owner let Bernie know that it was time for them to come back down to the island to close the deal. Bernie said, that when he got off the phone, he and Christine just looked at each other and said, "What the hell!!! Why not???" And that is how the little restaurant and inn up on top of the hill overlooking Grand Case became Bertines.

We only met them twice, but Bernie and Christine Poticha were two of the most remarkable, wonderful, unforgettable people that Rosemary and I have ever met. We cried when we learned he was gone.
5 358 Read More
Yesterday at 04:19 PM A little bit of everything - Key West 4.13.24 - 4.20.24 [by susannj]
Yes we went back AGAIN! Great time and always. You can read about it here. Enjoy!!

https://susannj.com/2024/05/05/a-little-bit-of-everything-key-west-4-13-24-4-20-24
0 61 Read More
Yesterday at 11:53 AM Loved marina cay but pretty tacky [by tangerine3]
Last night, Great place and atmosphere had 6 ppl for dinner bill prob about $400 paid cash accidentally dropped some change on the floor and didn't realize it and waitress actually came back and said we were short 15 cents, 20%tip was included, tacky
9 518 Read More
Yesterday at 03:14 AM Really miss any 50’s 60’s rock and roll [by DannynGinger]
Being a drummer for 60 years , wife and I miss all of the oldies music that used to be at a lot of clubs around st Maarten.
Really nothing like that anymore. Maybe just getting old but miss Bob Craig and a lot of the other bands that use to play at the clubs.
Oh well I guess that is just a thing of the past..
Seems everything now is just reggae music 🥱
7 495 Read More
05/04/2024 04:44 PM Roadside eateries [by MikeMc]
Are there any roadside eateries on the Dutch side where you can get food to go? After a long day at the beach or a snorkeling cruise these were always a good option.
Thanks, Mike. Wheels up Monday morning!!
10 691 Read More
05/04/2024 02:40 PM Rest in Peace Soggy Dollar Scott [by KDB]
With a heavy heart Soggy Dollar Scott passed away in March . All the Pirates and Parrots sing . He will be truly missed .
1 379 Read More
05/04/2024 01:51 PM Finally booked 2025 [by RonDon]
Friends always ask why I start so early to book the next visit back. But with airfare prices, the slow response time from BSV, I find it necessary.

Even though early for March 2025, I couldn't get what I wanted. Found airfare on JB for a Tuesday was half the price of Saturday for a direct flight. Managed to book two weeks at BSV but not the add on days now needed for the Tuesday flight. Tried several places that we like no avail so we settled upon Horny Toad on same beach as BSV.

Car rental wasn't a problem. We always use Kenny's and Leslie, who is a peach, was very accommodating. Nothing left to do but decide where to eat. But that's in the future. Now I can relax and read all the posts here to decide. Thankful for TTOL and Carol's good advice.
1 237 Read More