Member Spotlight
caribbeangirl13
caribbeangirl13
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Bea
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Manpot, Todd, 2 invisible), 301 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
Enjoyed reading your reports. You will be arriving to great weather at YHM.
46 2,960 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
Tomorrow we are going back to real life. lol. We had 8 days of fun and good time. How much did we spend? It’s kind of a personal question but if someone wants to compare with our friends south of the border: flight was $1200US, hotel was $1200US, food and small gifts was $1500US. Most of the time we had breakfast in our hotel room. Lunch and dinner in various places. We really like Juliette’s bistro, bovin, pizza Italy and le sucriere. The rest of the places were ok or sub par like bbb when we got sick. Weather was excellent. It only rained today for about one hour. Heavy rain I would say. Water was very warm. Overall we had a really good time.
Thank you all for advice and for taking time to read my posts.
46 2,960 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
Lee’s roadhouse. Today it was fairly quiet for Saturday night. Good calypso music band. Entertaining. We had chicken wings, my wife had a red snapper medium size and I had grilled shrimps. The waiter manually added 15% sc to the bill. We paid with visa and he entered $81 without asking anything. I don’t like the idea to be forced to pay sc but I would have paid him anyway. My wife really enjoyed the fish. For me, wings and shrimps were just ok. Next vacation I want to check skip jack for fish and seafood.
46 2,960 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
[quote=Carol_Hill]Fitzhugh--And yet, your clients got sued. Even if you win the case, your client lost, because they got sued.

Agree...avoiding litigation to start is the huge win...
27 1,658 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:23 PM
Thanks for the trip report, I do hope you made it to the French side for at least one meal!
46 2,960 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Safe travels home. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
46 2,960 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Tonight is our last night on the island. We are going to lee’s
46 2,960 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 10:34 PM
Fitzhugh--And yet, your clients got sued. Even if you win the case, your client lost, because they got sued. We are a small shop and can't afford to get sued, period. And again, for the third time, absolutely NO reason to copy and paste whole sections of copyrighted material, when a link will suffice.
27 1,658 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Hard rain from 4 to 5 today. Now sun is out.
7 598 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
I would estimate based on our recent charter that about 60%+ of the boats out there are transmitting an AIS signal. Still need to keep your eyes out, but it’s really becoming “easy button” sailing.
7 218 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:04 PM
Someone might steal that Delta belly picture as their phone screen saver.
7 547 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:00 PM
Sad, but a good thing as it’s was a danger attracting danger. Hopefully the ocean/beach will reclaim that stretch. Same with the chalets. Hopefully this will lite a fire amongst those with money in the game to either rebuild or sell.
17 2,105 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 07:43 PM
I for one hope you will change your mind. frown
27 1,658 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by lhbsurf
I think Statia frequently looks like 2 islands because of the way it's shaped with the Quill volcano, dip in the middle and the small mountain to the right. It's the one to the far left of the picture.

You're correct.
10 1,025 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 07:17 PM
They have transceivers but again only on the recently delivered boats.
7 218 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 07:15 PM
"WE as TTOL could be threatened with lawsuits for allowing others to post items in violation of copyright laws."

Apparently my note about news items and the Fair Use doctrine slipped past you. Again, you can do whatever you want, but before scolding someone, you should: (a) know what you're talking about; and (b) have a command of the law. I realize that having graduated from an institution that perenially turns out the largest graduating class in the world makes my credentials suspect because it's obviously one of those "factory law schools," but in this instance, I can claim both.

I'll save you the trouble of having to ever edit or delete a portion of a post of mine in the future. Adios....

27 1,658 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 07:10 PM
@Fitzhughlaw - you are assuming that TTOL is subject to U.S. law; which might not apply. In addition, you agreed to the terms and conditions, and it seems that you've forgotten Paragraph 16; which means that when it comes to TTOL's and your interpretation of what might be a copyright is a moot point.
(Forum Rules)
16. The posting of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder is prohibited. Wholesale copying and pasting of copyrighted material is not ‘fair use’ and will be deleted without comment. Please post a LINK to the material and if appropriate, a SMALL snippet of the material. We reserve the right to remove or edit material which we deem to be in violation of copyright laws, but we are under no obligation to do so.
27 1,658 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 07:10 PM
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the directions and we probably saw Secret Seafood from our villa at Simpson Bay Resort.
15 1,135 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 07:04 PM
I see moorings boat transmit. It is a good way for the charter companies to know where their boats are and where they've been. A transmitter is only insignificantly more than a receiver in the grand scheme of things.
7 218 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Fitzhughlaw--WE as TTOL could be threatened with lawsuits for allowing others to post items in violation of copyright laws. Thus, we will continue to remove them. And, as I said, there is absolutely NO reason to copy and paste huge sections of text that one can just click on and read the original story.
27 1,658 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 06:48 PM
Do the Moorings boats have only receivers or do they have transceivers?
7 218 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 05:36 PM
Husker, the fares that are going to be in effect will rise to reflect increased seasonal demand, and I have no basis to disagree with the fares you cite as current offerings.

Again, however, I think that they prove the point that I was trying to make (and apparently failed to do effectively) which is that it is indeed a needless airport expansion that is being contemplated - contrary to Mrs. Ratman's [typically prescient and cogent] post that accurately points out that current inefficiencies could be eliminated by "development" of the existing footprint.

To be clear, the drumbeat is for "expansion" even though it's headlined as "development" and here it is from the proverbial horse's mouth ("da gub mint"): https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/bvi-airports-authority-advances-airport-development.

Note the the lead sentence in the PR: "The Government of the Virgin Islands has announced that significant progress is being made in the ongoing airport development project."

Now note this quote (and I'll only insert this portion of the text so that I don't get chided for violating the "fair use" doctrine🙄): "Honourable Rymer said, "We see this as a significant step in realising our vision for the expansion of the Terrance B Lettsome International Airport and the Territory on a whole. The overwhelming responses from reputable firms, both locally and internationally, affirms the importance and potential of this project.""

It's being referred to as "development" precisely the same way US politicians refer to "revenue enhancements" or "investments" instead of "tax increases." Unfortunately, what all of these BVI politicians are salivating over is the prospect of a mega project.
15 628 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 04:41 PM
Fitz: Maybe I am missing your point, but as others on this thread mention there are some very competitive fares incorporating the AA MIA-EIS-MIA leg.....way less than $1,200. The weekend rates are high for sure. Weekdays and purchased way in advance definitely rival the STT + ferry option.
15 628 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 04:36 PM
The articles about the airport expansion, as I recall, referenced airport development rather than airport expansion. Of course contractors and politicians hope for the latter, whether legit work or greased palms.

I'm hoping development could mean basic deferred maintenance as well as improvements to baggage handling, Immigration and Customs. People end up standing outside in long lines with fewer, smaller planes. Go up on the observation deck and you'll see pieces of construction material lying around. The current security screening area is entirely insufficient: adding tables outside the sliding doors doesn't work.

A good airport planner could rectify these problems within the existing footprint.
15 628 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 04:27 PM
Just a small point on the other airlines will follow. There is only one other aircraft that can fly this route and that is the A220-100. Only Delta operates that aircraft and they have shown no interest. The E175 is operated under contract by AA, Delta and United however it’s quite marginal even flying just EIS to MIA. They are blocking off 16 seats from inventory to make the MIA flight possible leaving only 60 seats. Every mile you add to service airports further away will require more blocked seats. AA with their large connecting opportunities out of MIA is probably the only airline that can fly the route profitably. Now Delta could operate a full A220-100 to ATL but trust me they won’t for reasons I don’t understand.
15 628 Read More
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 64 65