Member Spotlight
johnnshell
johnnshell
Port St. Lucie, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
12 registered members (Beansbbq, SANFILIP, Mikel, davidandsusannj, road3682, Sea_Skyman, stevel13, 5 invisible), 419 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Returning to Grand Cayman (Mar 2013) #17279
08/21/2012 12:49 PM
08/21/2012 12:49 PM
Stillwater, Minnesota
BobA Offline OP
Traveler
BobA  Offline OP
Traveler
Stillwater, Minnesota
Two of us are returning to GC 23 Mar - 30 Mar 2013. This trip we will stay on 7 Mile Beach. Last trip we stayed down the road from Rum Point on North Side.

I think we are staying at George Town Villas, which is up the beach from GeorgeTown between Grand Cayman Marriot Beach Resort and Grand Cayman Beach Suites.

My first impression with this location is that we may not need to rent a car, as there is inexpensive bus service along the 7 Mile area. Any insight into do's and do not's on bus service? Does one pay exact change only in Cayman $ or U.S. $?

I haven't figured out how to get from airport to condo, but I know there are taxis at the curb outside the airport. Guidelines on taxi costs?

We arrive around 2:30 p.m., so we'll unload luggage at condo and then venture out to buy supplies (groceries, beer, etc.). Any recommendations on which store is closest for all this?

Now on to the bigger questions:
1. Is there any decent snorkeling in walking distance from this area.
2. Are there recommendations on inexpensive places to eat and drink in the immediate area?

Last trip did not enable visiting GeorgeTown, so I'm thinking it is close enough to walk to from condo. This will take some more checking. Any suggestions on things to see in GeorgeTown? I am not a shopper, I'm into history, old buildings, etc.

Anyone's thoughts on staying in this area?

I now have 7 months to fret about the trip.

BobA

Sponsors
Re: Returning to Grand Cayman (Mar 2013) [Re: BobA] #17280
08/21/2012 09:12 PM
08/21/2012 09:12 PM
Texas
Testudo Offline
Traveler
Testudo  Offline
Traveler
Texas
Welcome Back!

Taxi rates from the airport to almost anywhere on the island can be found here: http://www.caymanairports.ky/userfiles/file/Taxi%20Rates%20and%20Conditions.pdf

It will be $18.00 for 2 people before tip to GT Villas.

Bus is a reliable option along West Bay Road. The route #1 and #2 West Bay (WB) vans will go back and forth between the West Bay area and the terminus in George Town. Just wave them down from the side of the road and tell the driver where you want to go. Pay when exiting at your destination. Exact change is not needed, but preferred. You can pay in US of CI $. Do not rely on bus service after 8:00PM or so, plan on taking a taxi to avoid any frustrating, lonely roadside waits. http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm

Plenty of snorkeling at Cheeseburger Reef near the Lobster Pot restaurant, Eden Rock & Devil's Grotto in the main Harbour area. http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/offshoresnorkeling.htm

Last edited by Testudo; 08/21/2012 09:13 PM.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill