Member Spotlight
Leagle49
Leagle49
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (duckfat, eightzerobits, boucharda, davidandsusannj, kaba, mark37, MamaB, caribbeangirl13, Swifty, Jeannius, Chaseec, sailingbob, WWII, taraavo, Snorkeller, RickinAtlanta, ColoBoater, Brian&Andi, candu, PML, MrEZgoin, Todd_Melinda_K, bostonbob, UncleLuff, timnboston, MKGrey, charlie, Travel Talker, Manpot, deliveryskipper, 14 invisible), 1,059 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT #193480
04/28/2019 03:24 PM
04/28/2019 03:24 PM
under the Paul B in 39073
wct49 Offline OP
Traveler
wct49  Offline OP
Traveler
under the Paul B in 39073
Our first trip back since Irma and I’m so glad we went.
This forum has brought us so much information over the years. Thanks to all that contribute info and answer questions.

We used Delta points for some first class tickets on Saturday 20 April for a 6am flight from Jackson, MS to ATL then down to St. Martin. The flights were fine. Flight attendants were great and smooth flight down. We had about a 30 minute delay in ATL but no issues.
Landed in SXM and deplaned way out on the tarmac next to a row of Gulfstream private jets. The 757 deplanes from the second door and the aft door so everyone was vying for position for to get on the bus. Very unorganised and everyone should have let the elderly and those with kids get on first but whatever. We ended up on the last bus. The line coming into immigration was long and warm. I’d statch a bottle of water to drink while in line before deplanning if I were you. It took close to an hour to deplane and go through customs. When we got out to collect baggage they were just coming out. So we grabbed ours and headed for the doors.

We rented a Hyundai from Leisure Car rental. They met us at the airport and their office is one the first on Airport Road. Easy deal. Car worked great for the week. Turned back in on Saturday with no issues. I would rent there again.

There was talk before we left about protest but we had no issues driving over to Orient for our stay. We were surprised how brown everything was. I don't remember that being that way two years ago. We had originally rented an apartment from Delphine Richard but a couple weeks before the units exterior got an early start on construction. She contacted me and switched me to Kenyzee Mercadier who had a brand new apartment. I was apprehensive about this but it was great. The apartment was perfect for the two of us, the ac worked great and the wifi did as well.

Everyone has a different plan going to St. Martin but ours is to plant our flag in a spot and as long as service is good, we are good. Delphine gave us beach chairs at KKO beach just a five minute walk from our apartment. We had good service there and used the chairs the whole week. We ate lunch there several times and it was good. Burgers and ceviche were our choices.

Our other lunches, we skipped breakfast except one day, were spent at Yellow Sub. Their burgers are great and the have a skewered menu that really good. We sat at the bar most days and every evening before or after our meals. The bartenders in the evenings especially were outstanding. They really made us feel welcome and appreciated our business. That's not something you always get in St. Martin or the US for that matter.

For dinners we stayed right there in the village at Orient except for one night. We went into Grand Case and ate at Talk of the Town. Ribs and lobster taste the same as in 2003.
Our dinners were at La Trattoria, Le Piment, Sao and Yellow Sub. We didn’t have a bad meal or service at any of them. Some were better than others but overall they were good. Our favorite was Le Piment. We wanted to eat lobster at Cote Plages but they were out of lobster the whole week.

The beaches had seaweed the whole week. It was not intolerable but it was there. But it didn’t seem to smell like some years. There was a great breeze the first few days so i am sure that helped. Also the days the cruise ships were in were not like some years past. Maybe farther down the beach it was noticeable but not at KKO. There seemed to be a 50/50 mix of locals vs tourist. We walked down the beach and were broken hearted where Orange Fever and Pedros use to stand. I sure miss their prices! New construction has started there so maybe it will be back one day soon.

Construction, its going on all over the village but nothing like we see when a hurricane hits the Gulf. Not enough material, not enough people, too much government. That has been covered at length here but I wish it were farther along. You could hear construction noise coming from the buildings behind KKO but it was not annoying. We took naps every day. Some units like ours seemed to be in good shape. Some looked like Beirut. The roads that we used were ok no issues and I never saw any debris on the beach itself, but the paths going to the beach had more glass, nails etc. Grand Case was very sad. The lolos looked the same, Bistrot Caraibes looked the same but their lobster tanks were empty and the new Barranco looked nice from the outside. Some of the others were open as well but overall it should be so much more. I guess that was always the case and some of its charm.

The Gendarmrie patrolled the village every evening at dusk and they made their loops through Grand Case the night we were there. I never felt unsafe the whole week in the village.

Saturday came and it was time to go home. We dropped off the car at Leisure and he took us to Sunset Beach Bar. Food was good and the coldest Presidente beer of the week. That place is a cash machine for certain. Lots of people and the gift shop was busy. The beach was very crowded and the water was very clear and no seaweed that we could see. Someone felt it was a great idea to put a stage right in front. Probably the same guy that thought putting a pool in was smart.

I knew when I made our plans that Saturday travel was gonna be a bad move. And it was in the airports. Because of our first class tickets checking bags was not an issue but security was another thing. It was never ending it seemed. Again take some water with you and throw it away when you finally go through security and hour later. The terminal was crowded but the ac was working. But when the call for boarding its a madhouse all over again. We boarded the bus and went out to the jet.

Flight home was uneventful other than the ac on the plane was less than stellar. Now we land in Atlanta…
The world's busiest airport but only ⅓ of its Customs area is staffed. It took over an hour to snake our way through the line. Luckily we had plenty of time and we also did our final interview for Global Entry. That should cut that hour wait to ten minutes next time. Because we took the time to do that going through security was a brees and making our connection was easy to make with time to spare.

Home again, back to reality. Time to work some more so we can go back next year!

"I’m the Dude. So that’s what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.”
SXM Sponsors
Re: 20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT [Re: wct49] #193482
04/28/2019 03:39 PM
04/28/2019 03:39 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for the report.

J.D.
Re: 20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT [Re: wct49] #193483
04/28/2019 03:43 PM
04/28/2019 03:43 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Very nice trip write-up. We were on the island that week as well, but with the exception of a day at Friars, our beaching was mostly, Mullet, Maho and Simpson Bays. Still here and we have seen no seaweed anywhere so I guess the seas are running in our favor, which has not always been the case.

Anyhow, back to work will soon become reality for us to, or at least for one of us. Gotta’ make enough bucks to come back again soon so I hear you.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: 20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT [Re: wct49] #193490
04/28/2019 04:38 PM
04/28/2019 04:38 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report! Atlanta sounds like kind of a cluster f*ck coming back home, according to several reports. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks..

Carol Hill
Re: 20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT [Re: wct49] #193524
04/29/2019 10:01 AM
04/29/2019 10:01 AM
St Louis, MO
SXMNorm Offline
Traveler
SXMNorm  Offline
Traveler
St Louis, MO
Thanks for taking time to post a report and give us all updates on The Island.

Next SXM visit -November 2023. Also January 2024.
Re: 20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT [Re: wct49] #193529
04/29/2019 10:33 AM
04/29/2019 10:33 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Nice report. Thanks for sharing. Be there in 2 weeks.

Re: 20 APRIL-27 APRIL TRIP REPORT [Re: wct49] #193573
04/29/2019 03:00 PM
04/29/2019 03:00 PM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline
Traveler
RonDon  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
You said back to work so you can pay for another trip. Isn't that the reason we all work? Especially for SXM.