pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (RonDon, GeorgeC1, camview, jagmansr, JeanneB, Fran, tmsxmsails, bkigar, YachtReprise, Bakoguy, sailingbob, SXMScubaman, PML, Manpot, Zanshin, anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, snman31, WWII, nevar37, Alltech63, MrEZgoin, cabokid, Whale Tail, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, luvtotravel, Ackman, 7 invisible), 987 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Liguria Region Italy #286142
07/15/2022 06:43 PM
07/15/2022 06:43 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
I think my previous post was to generalized so I figure I'd ask direct questions...coastal Liguria Region of Italy is a maybe on the radar. My wife and I spent 2 nights in Monterosso al Mare Cinque Terra a few years ago, walked the trail to every village. Our daughter has spent two days in Riomaggiore and visited one or two other villages. Would be so easy to go back. But I'm curious about Sestri Levante? have you been? or any of the following towns... Rapallo, Santa Margherita, Portofino, Camogli? I would think a trip to the home of the original "PESTO" probably should not be written off our list. Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated !

Sponsors
Re: Liguria Region Italy [Re: BEERMAN] #286180
07/16/2022 01:51 PM
07/16/2022 01:51 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ

Beerman two towns that did not make your list was Portovenere (also known as Porto Venere) and Lerici.
Was is to the west of La Spezia and the other two the east by a short bus or taxi ride. La Spezia is a major train hub. I was lucky enough to work there for a month about 10 years ago.
Both places are magical and I think Portovenere would claim the home of Pesto, but who knows.
Lerici has a cool castle and tunnel that runs under it. When you pop out the other side there is great restaurant with a view of the Poet's Sea
Definitely take a look at these two. You can also stay in La Spezia and explore both easily by bus or ferry they run frequently.

Here a few shots to enjoy
And of course you know the seafood is amazing in that part of the world.

Attached Files PortV.JPGPortV2.JPGPestoPorto.JPGLerci Italy.jpgLerici 2.JPG

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: Liguria Region Italy [Re: TomB] #286230
07/18/2022 07:41 AM
07/18/2022 07:41 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Thanks Tom! I did remember Portovenere from one of your older posts, maybe the "where are we" posts. St Peter's church is awesome. There are so many possibilities on the Italian Riviera. Can't remember the town, but I found a youtube video from last August discussing many shop closures during late aug/sept? I assume they were shoulder season "vacation" closures, similar to the way the USVI/BVI owners temporarily close? still no closer to making up our minds on a probable itinerary.....

Moderated by  Eric_Hill