Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (bailau, timnboston, RickG, Fran, eightzerobits, Bernd, kaba, SURICK, Michel_Benarrosh, Kennys, tradewinds, JeanneB, steve74, SacoFrank, blooming, SXMScubaman, RonDon, WCHam, Kevin_B, KirkB, Lucky13, 11 invisible), 959 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How is snorkeling at these stops and other questions #293952
01/14/2023 02:58 PM
01/14/2023 02:58 PM
CT USA
P
Philggct Offline OP
Traveler
Philggct  Offline OP
Traveler
P
CT USA
Down starting Feb 24 for 8.5 days out of TMM. Third trip for two couples, second for another and first for the fourth.

We will hit the highlights and plan on two nights in North Sound. First at Leverick and cab to the Baths in the late afternoon. Second night at BEYC. Is it worth it to book the Necker Island tour? Also, is there a dinghy line or moorings at Prickley Pear for snorkeling? Best places to snorkel in North Sound?

How is the snorkeling at these spots (all swell and weather dependent) - Mountain Point, Savannah Bay and Fallen Jerusalem?

We snorkeled George Dog in 2020 as there was good northern swell that day and it had good shelter and Great Dog looked a little rough. Is Great Dog better? Which side of Great Dog is best?

When we visit Jost, plan is to stay at Little Harbor. Can swell be an issue in there like at Great Harbor? And which restaurant would you choose in Little Harbor?

Thanks in advance.

BVI Sponsors
Re: How is snorkeling at these stops and other questions [Re: Philggct] #293991
01/15/2023 10:59 AM
01/15/2023 10:59 AM
Virgin Gorda, BVI
V
VirginGordaResident Offline
Traveler
VirginGordaResident  Offline
Traveler
V
Virgin Gorda, BVI
The Necker Island Nature Tour is great. Especially if you like animals. You will see lemurs, flamingos, other exotic birds and giant tortoises.

There are no dinghy lines or moorings at Prickly Pear for snorkeling. I attached a map of the best snorkel spots in the North Sound and surrounding areas. My personal favorite is Eustatia Reef on a calm day. If it is rough, you can go to Cactus Reef at the northwest side of Prickly Pear just off the main channel into the North Sound. There is a tiny beach there where you can beach your dinghy and snorkel right from there.

Mountain Point is great snorkeling, I also enjoy Fallen Jerusalem. Savannah Bay doesn't have too much going on unfortunately.

The south side of Great Dog tends to be one of the most protected snorkel spots in my opinion when the swell is up. But honestly I enjoy anywhere at The Dogs. Just condition dependent.

Attached Files North Sound Snorkel Spots.jpg
Re: How is snorkeling at these stops and other questions [Re: Philggct] #294105
01/16/2023 08:01 PM
01/16/2023 08:01 PM
Manhattan Beach, CA
calsail Offline
Traveler
calsail  Offline
Traveler
Manhattan Beach, CA
my absolute favorite snorkeling in the Sound is the reef coming off the east end of Mosquito. Anchor behind the reef and as close to Mosquito as you feel comfortable. Approach from Leverick. Branson has his new development there. Ive been there yearly since 1985.