TravelTalkOnline

Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 12:55 AM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/71...area-for-cruise
I wonder if Captain D's will be there?
Posted By: moontide

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 02:57 AM

As a timeshare owner at the Atrium, I have mixed emotions regarding this latest development. The idea of vendors offering food, beach chairs, umbrellas and water activities is enticing but wondering what impact this will have on the relatively calm and limited beach area.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 03:34 AM

Thank goodness it's not Mullet!!

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 03:55 AM

Mullet already has food and chair vendors. Not room for much more there.

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 03:57 AM

I own at Flamingo. Like the closeness and idea for another close option. Bring it on.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 01:33 PM

Don't think Buccaneer or Topper's will mind. Greenhouse too.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 03:35 PM

I can't get the article.
Does this mean they will be in the same area that BBB and the Atrium have chairs?? Isn't this a small area?

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 03:55 PM

Link still works. Its a long stretch of beach. Plenty of room.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 05:22 PM

I THINK the beach area they're talking about the stretch between where Buccanneer is now, and Royal Palm? The vendors are supposed to be on the parking lot which they made between Toppers and Royal Palm and never really opened for parking.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 05:54 PM

There had been a couple of business there, but no food. Coconut Reef (which Mariam & Pieter took over) and another kayak school. They probably got wiped out.

Yes, Mullet has Rosies and Daleo, but not more than that, or stores.

Whatever they have is going to need restrooms! Fresh water.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 05:57 PM

I stay at SBR and walk that beach VERY frequently. The only part that is presently used is the part nearest BBB/Atrium and there is plenty of space for more activity and chairs. Everyone seemed to like Orient Beach pre-storm and that was overrun with chairs and operations BUT still a decent place to visit.

I think it's a fine idea. Most will arrive via cab, bus or van and leave by mid-afternoon.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 07:14 PM

My concern is also bathroom facilities. In my opinion that was never the cleanest water. It certainly doesn't need any tinkles added to it.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 07:20 PM

This is probably a substitute for the vendor area in Pburg behind the courthouse. That area is being converted to a bus/taxi parking area.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 07:25 PM

If they don't do something about the traffic, these folks won't get off Great Bay Beach
Posted By: pony600

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 07:46 PM

We've never been there. How do you get there?

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 07:52 PM

Royal Palm/Skipjacks/Atrium Resort/SImpson Bay Yacht Club/Lee's/Drawbridge/Buccaneer Beach Bar

If you know where these are then you are there....
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 11:03 PM

Finally got rid of La Bamba a few years ago and now this could be much worse! Wonder if they have any restrictions on loud music and hours? KimSha used to be a place for locals and kids to enjoy. Will they be crowded out now? Once some one is given permission to build and set up beach facilities, how hard will it be to end it?Not what I would dream of for that area.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/01/2017 11:13 PM

Chill out. This is a CRUISE ship deal. It will be during the day. Kind of doubt it will be loud music either, but I could be wrong on that.

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/02/2017 12:52 AM

From what was presented you are correct. It would be as active as Orient Beach was pre-storm AND as inactive after dark

..and I actually miss La Bamba. Guess I am weird
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/02/2017 06:04 AM

Loved La Bamba and miss it too.

I think this is a good thing for the island, at least for the time being. Anything that brings in tourists and revenue can only help them.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/02/2017 11:18 AM

Carnival Cruiselines used to bus people to Mullet several years ago. They would rent chairs from Daleos and people would be packed in like sardines.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/02/2017 11:59 AM

Carol_Hill said:
Chill out. This is a CRUISE ship deal. It will be during the day. Kind of doubt it will be loud music either, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks Carol.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/02/2017 01:03 PM

Correct, just like with most of Orient Beach, it is pretty quiet after 4:00pm when the cruise ship excursions are gone. Same with Sunset.

I believe there were already some cruise ship excursions using the Kimsha area as I would see groups of kayaks going out most mornings. You also have the tours going out of Aqua Mania that were connected to cruise ships.

Not sure why some appear to be so selfish. After all, unless they are an island resident, they are a guest/tourist/visitor also.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/02/2017 01:43 PM

Not sure why some appear to be so selfish. After all, unless they are an island resident, they are a guest/tourist/visitor also. [/quote]. Well said!!!
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 10:32 AM

We love spending a day or two on Kimsha beach, lunch at BBB. I'm not happy about this, why? It is so nice and quiet, calm shore line, quiet chit-chat. These people get off there ship thinking this is PARTY time and everyone has to be loud drunk and gawk at sunbathers! This is a two thumbs down for me!

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 12:09 PM

These people get off there ship thinking this is PARTY time and everyone has to be loud drunk and gawk at sunbathers!

Huh?? This is the Dutch side and Kimsha Beach. Sounds to me like you are comparing it to or confusing it with the Orient Beach area. What would there be to "qawk" at on Kimsha?
Posted By: mort

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 01:13 PM

I stay at the Atrium. Have no problem with extra activity on that beach. I like seeing others enjoy themselves and maybe it will be an opportunity to meet new friends.

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 01:30 PM

And that is the unselfish attitude and how it should be.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 01:46 PM

At this point!!! The Island needs to see tourists... Where they go for a few hours means nothing, and if they enjoy themselves they will return... I for one only have gone to orient perhaps twice many years ago, and felt totally out of my comfort zone... The beach to me is a place where those that need to see naked bodys becomes a circus. Imagine its a tourist attraction because of the nudity... that's my opinon... Lets hope the cruise ships start up, it will bring some revenue back...
Posted By: irina

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 11:08 PM

I for one don't like it. Traffic will be horrendous. Small beach. BBB will be packed. And I used to live there and it was a nice beach to go hang out at. Not great water but nice.
Sorry!
irina
Posted By: JimandBeth

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/03/2017 11:57 PM

We support almost anything that will put tourist money back into the hands of the locals who have lost so much.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Kim Shaw Beach cruise destination - 12/04/2017 02:00 AM

SXMScubaman said:
Mullet already has food and chair vendors. Not room for much more there.

A couple of decent bathrooms wouldn't hurt.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline