TravelTalkOnline

Need Suggestions

Posted By: Islandercpl

Need Suggestions - 12/28/2017 08:34 PM

Hi All.......we are owners at the Royal Islander, we own 3 weeks in March. Although the resort is closed, we still want to come down to the island in March, to see friends and of course help the economy. I was wondering if you could give me recommendations on places to rent in the Simpson Bay area. We were thinking of the Atrium, but have heard they are having problems with mold [black]......I am very allergic to mold, therefore if this is true, we definitely can't stay there. I've been checking on VBRO and Airbnb, but I see places still listed as available that I/we know suffered damage from Irma & Maria...for instance there are places listed at the RI, Ocean Club and Sapphire! We've never had to look around for accommodations since the hurricane in 95.....so somewhat clueless....LOL

Any clues or ideas of One or Two Bedroom condos or villas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/28/2017 09:48 PM

Beachside Villas is definitely renting units and they should not have any mold issues, as they hung all new drywall after the storm. I have no idea what their availability is, but you can give them a call, at (810) 289-3142, which is in the US. Beachside Villas website
Posted By: moontide

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/28/2017 11:20 PM

Could you elaborate on the black mold issue at the Atrium? I had not heard of any issues and we are staying there in February. Thanks..
Posted By: GaryB

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/28/2017 11:40 PM

Sent you a private message.
Although on this new board I don't know how to direct you to it. There used to be a flashing envelope by your name when you signed in.
Good luck. :-)
Posted By: GaryB

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/28/2017 11:56 PM

Did a little searching around on this new board. After you log in, then you go to "My Stuff" at top of page, in the drop down is "private messages". You will find it there. Regards.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/28/2017 11:57 PM

The flashing red envelope also still works.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by GaryB
Sent you a private message.
Although on this new board I don't know how to direct you to it. There used to be a flashing envelope by your name when you signed in.
Good luck. :-)

The flashing envelope still appears next to My Stuff
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 01:19 AM

Just got back from a great 7 days at Mary's Boon on Simpson Bay. I also am very affected by mold and I can tell you that every building at Mary's Boon is concrete now and not any sheetrock on the property. Most of the rooms are very open and sunny but they do have some lower rooms that have dehumidifiers when needed that I have seen but never had an issue. I'd say Beachside also has rooms that are open and sunny. Simpson Bay beach really looks great now and the island is just getting better. So happy we did not cancel cause I hated coming back to the cold and nice to get some sun again while on St Maarten. I do know they are very full all season so it might not be easy this year to get a reservation but sure worth going if you can get in.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 01:29 AM

Hi. Would love to hear a trip report from you on a separate thread.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 01:55 PM

We are going in May and are also looking for accommodations in the Simpson Bay area.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 02:23 PM

We are as well. We deposited our weeks with RCI, and have an ongoing search in that area. Hoping something pops up soon. I've never before had my flights booked with nowhere to stay!
Posted By: pat

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 03:10 PM

Georgia etal,

Pretty sure you’re already thinking this way but this, of all years, is probably not the year to be too ‘choosy’ about selecting a timeshare based on personal preferences, if you can come up with anything at all to match your flights. Timeshares are usually still premium well into May or at least until Carnival is totally done, and through the mid-may point. With all the damaged properties closed this year there are way too few units available and way too many people looking for options. I hope you’re able to come up with something.....

I’m getting a little nervous, too, as we sit with October/November airfare already purchased and only one week of our trip booked and virtually no communication from the Towers as to their status.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 03:24 PM

You're absolutely right, Pat! The only thing we're being choosy about now is general location. We could have had a room at Divi Little Bay for our week; but I want to be in the Simpson Bay or Cupecoy areas, as I think that's where we'll be spending most of our evenings. I'm thinking after the first of the year, more units will pop up; at least I sure hope that's the case!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 04:45 PM

SBR and SBR Villas have lots of availability for direct rentals in May but, on II at least, zero exchange availability. I also noticed the resort booking website now specifies if it is a resort or Bay view, beachfront and other specifics.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 05:05 PM

Thanks all......Boucharda, we're looking for March due to occupation our travel to the island is limited, but thanks.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 05:07 PM

I wouldn't expect exchanges to be available until after the first of the year when AMFs are paid.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 05:26 PM

OOps...saw May somewhere and it stuck in my brain. March is a different story. Good luck

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
I wouldn't expect exchanges to be available until after the first of the year when AMFs are paid.

True point.

I was surprised when we got Aruba and Grand Cayman for 2018 exchanges.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/29/2017 06:19 PM

Since we have been staying there for over 20 years, were booked to stay in Room 110, and that no longer exists, we would love to hear about the place. We are booked to go back on April 24, but do not know what room we will be in.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/30/2017 12:33 AM

Boucharda....LOL...no problem. Well, I actually booked a condo at Porto Cupecoy through Airbnb for the dates we were looking for. Got confirmation that it's in perfect condition since Irma. Not in the Simpson Bay area, but wanted a place with security and this fits the bill. Thanks for the suggestions everyone......good luck to all who are looking for temporary accommodations to our home away from home.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/30/2017 07:01 AM

Georgia - Have you thought about Azure Hotel? There's a couple on Facebook (you probably know to whom I'm referring) who just returned from several weeks there and apparently loved it.

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/30/2017 12:18 PM

We haven't. Right now, we're trying to make use of one of our our banked timeshare weeks. If that doesn't pan out in the next couple of months, we'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestion!
Posted By: SXMSAMMY

Re: Need Suggestions - 12/30/2017 03:30 PM

I am in communication with people who are currently staying at the Atrium, and they are not reporting any issues with mold, of any kind or color. Where are you getting your information?

Re: Need Suggestions - 01/01/2018 04:26 PM

SXMSAMMY....there was an article in one of the news papers a few weeks back, I can't recall if it was the Daily Herald or SXM1News that the health department listed places that tested positive for mold/black mold. We also heard from friends that live on the island that said they heard and read the same. It's very understandable that in the circumstance there will be mold......and I also understand that these places will take care of the situation, they can only do so much when hit with such a disaster. Good to hear your friends aren't seeing/experiencing any issues! Hope they are having a wonderful vacation.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline