TravelTalkOnline

EARLY dinner in Grand Case

Posted By: Carol_Hill

EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 12:46 PM

Looking for a place to eat dinner, at say 5 PM in Grand Case, on our arrival day from the US. The lolos I guess are open all day, but I wonder if their stuff will be dried up at that time. I know there is a small pizzeria there. I wonder what their hours are. This would be on a Wednesday, if that makes any difference. If there's not a good option in Grand Case, what about Orient? Not looking to spend a lot of money, just something filling after getting up in the middle of the night and the rigors of travel.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 12:50 PM

Food is always dried up at the lolo's by late afternoon. But they will happily microwave it for you.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 12:52 PM

rofl Huhm, that sounds appetizing!!! Not! Any better suggestions?
Posted By: Buddyhog

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 01:41 PM

Go to the hotel next to the rainbow Les Temp De Cherise. They have small bar and restaurant with a great view.
Posted By: bran

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 01:49 PM

Do you want a good meal for you first night? I always like to get off to a good start, sets the hopeful tone from the getgo.......L'Auberge Gourmande? I think open early. 5.30pm if they don't do 5pm. Can always ask.....
reservations@laubergegourmande.com
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Food is always dried up at the lolo's by late afternoon. But they will happily microwave it for you.

Did them a couple of times years ago and when they started using a microwave, I knew it was time to move on. IMHO, they are vastly overrated.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 01:55 PM

https://www.grandcase.com/restaurants.html
Posted By: pandpfromcanada

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 02:01 PM

Not sure what restaurants are open early in Grand Case. In Orient Village Yellow Sub would be a good choice. I am pretty sure that any of the other village restaurants don't open until 5:30 or 6.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 02:05 PM

bran--NO, definitely do not want to waste the money the first night on a great meal. We will be dead dog tired, from getting up in the middle of the night to catch the plane. Regardless, I know they don't open until at least 6, probably 6:30.

pandp--thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone know what time the pizza place opens in Grand Case? I'm thinking they may be open for lunch and stay open?

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 02:09 PM

Buddy--do you know what time they open?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Buddyhog
Go to the hotel next to the rainbow Les Temp De Cherise. They have small bar and restaurant with a great view.

Any chance it is this place? LINK
Posted By: Buddyhog

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 02:57 PM

The link from rural carrier is correct. We stayed there and they are open all day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would definitely eat there and you will love the view esp for the first night
Posted By: SammyM

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 04:26 PM

Well, if it was me and my goal was to keep it under $40 I would second the motion for the Yellow Sub. Ate there last month about that same time (5 or so) and everything ran me $35 for two of us. In Grand Case there is the Rainbow Cafe, but I think you told me once that you didn't care for it there. Or, maybe that was Scubaman ... I can't remember. But, you'll spend way more money there and the menu is in euros. I just love sitting on the back deck at that place having a beer! If I may ask, why this particular area? If you are en route from the airport to Grand Case you could always stop at Mark's Place and get a great meal at a decent price. And, those guys are open seven days a week from 11:00 a.m. on. Just a thought.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 04:32 PM

Yep. That was I that crossed Rainbow of the list. Marks is was out of the way from PJIA to Grand Case.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 04:53 PM

Agree it's a bit out of the way, but it's worth it!
Posted By: jeepers

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 05:01 PM

I thought it was just me. I agree with you.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 05:03 PM

Bo’s Pizza in Orient Village. Have a beer while he cooks it.
Great OMG I’ve arrived dinner. Very inexpensive and good.
carib cheers,
doctorj
Happy Easter!

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 05:04 PM

Thanks, Jeepers. Somehow, someway we always find ourselves at Mark's Place each time we visit SXM. It just happens naturally!

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 06:26 PM

Buddy--looks way expensive for what I'm looking for, for the first night. We are staying at a villa just above Grand Case, should be arriving, if the stars align correctly, around 3:30, if not before. Want to dump the bags and head out for an early inexpensive dinner and an early bedtime!! Yellow Sub would be good, but still wondering about the pizza place in Grand Case. No one here has been there??
Posted By: RonDon

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 06:36 PM

We always go to LaVilla when we arrive close to 5pm. Christophe is always happy to see early diners.
Posted By: kim

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 07:09 PM

Idk if still there, but isn’t there a pizza place at the end of the grand case strip? If you went to the end as if heading to Marigot, it’s there on the left across from Rainbow/Captain Frenchys kind of??

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 09:00 PM

RonDon--again, NOT interested in a high end meal. Want something cheap and filling..

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 09:01 PM

Kim--yes, I think so, but apparently no one here has been to that pizza place. I am still interested in it though.
Posted By: pl3

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 09:17 PM

The pizza guy across from Rainbow is great. We have eaten there @ 5:00, he makes it fresh, fast and not expensive.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/21/2019 09:23 PM

OK, thanks much!!! Only problem is no ocean view, I guess, but we will be dead tired..
Posted By: Mbrott

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Originally Posted by BillandElaine

Did them a couple of times years ago and when they started using a microwave, I knew it was time to move on. IMHO, they are vastly overrated.

I agree.....They are over-rated but cheap. I hate when I hear a microwave door slam at a restaurant.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 12:14 AM

Rancho del Sol?
Posted By: DDnBob

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 01:18 AM

BeachKitten I was thinking the same. Rancho del Sol. We've had their pizza in the past and it was really good. Plus they open for lunch so they should be open for an early dinner.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 01:31 AM

I don't know if Rancho delivers anymore, but we did have them deliver to GCBC some time back, in the event one wants to eat in.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by cruzer
I don't know if Rancho delivers anymore, but we did have them deliver to GCBC some time back, in the event one wants to eat in.

They still have delivery on their site. wink I was thinking since I know they are open for lunch, they would still be open when you arrive....

That may be a quick and easy option. OR, have Jeannie deliver things to the villa and maybe some pre-made items? Sammiches?
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 09:50 AM

Saw the delivery scooters there in February, so looks like they still deliver

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 11:25 AM

You ask for a place in Grand Case, right? Why not stop in Marigot on your way. Near the ferry dock is a place called Rosemary's (near the walkway to the market sellers) whole meal of snapper, rice, salad for around $14. Very filling, tasty and inexpensive.

I mentioned La Villa because it isn't as expensive as the other places in GC. I would suggest NICE on the water side but I'm not sure when they open up. They're less $$ than other places.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 11:33 AM

Carol,

What about Ranch del Sol on the hill beteen Grand Case and Orient? I believe they're open all day and you can get pizzas, French food; I think burgers. It's not expensive or fancy. Has a great view.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 11:34 AM

Where are you actually heading to? The inexpensive places in GC have all gone. There's a place on the main road (by passing GC) just beyond Bounty and the pharmacy on the right side (no water view) very inexpensive but I can't remember the name.

Lots of inexpensive places but not GC. Concordia has a few, Jordan Village Maho area, Fat Tonys, Yvettes, Quartier d'Orleans.

But if it must be GC and water view I'd say NICE. It's where a seafood place used to be near a clothing store, across from parking lot.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 11:37 AM

do a search Nice SxM

comes up on trip advisor with photos. Menu $12 to $34. They don't have a web site.
Posted By: bbeach

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 11:40 AM

Rancho del sol has great food and a great view, ate there different times this last trip.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone. We may try Rancho, but would probably go there if we do. The last time we went there, which was YEARS ago, I wasn't that impressed. We will probably go to Hope Market and get some things, so may just get something to take back to the 'house' to have. I figure we will be dead on our feet but we'll see. Regardless, we'll be in SXM so it can hardly be bad!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
You ask for a place in Grand Case, right? Why not stop in Marigot on your way. Near the ferry dock is a place called Rosemary's (near the walkway to the market sellers) whole meal of snapper, rice, salad for around $14. Very filling, tasty and inexpensive.

I mentioned La Villa because it isn't as expensive as the other places in GC. I would suggest NICE on the water side but I'm not sure when they open up. They're less $$ than other places.

I don't think they would want to risk stopping with luggage in their car for a dinner. Carol stated she wanted to check in, drop luggage off before getting something to eat.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 03:02 PM

Scubaman--absolutely. We would never stop to eat with luggage in the car.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 06:01 PM

Carol, a place with great food and very inexpensive is Gutside on the Friars bay Road. Close to where you are staying too.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 06:05 PM

Elizabeth--we've never eaten there. It seems that one needs to know ahead of time if you want to eat there, as he seems not to be open on a regular schedule. Too many restaurants, not enough time!!
Posted By: cruzer

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 06:29 PM

Hercules is located across from the Pharmacy on the way to Cul de Sac. I think I recall that it's 2 or 3 klicks from GCBC, so certainly nearby. They serve local dishes and do Haitian cooking as well. My favorites are the griot with a side of accras made with tania. And, of course, numerous Ti Punches.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 06:32 PM

Carol, we will be staying in the village and arriving June 4th. Will you be there already or are you arriving after that? I've never stayed on the French side so if you get there before us, please let us know where you go. We too will be getting up at Oh-dark-30 to drive 3 1/2 hours to Fort Lauderdale for that 10:54 A.M. flight. I think we'll be exhausted and want to do the same. Get the car from Lesley, drive to the condo, unload the bags, get groceries, drop off at condo then get a bite to eat before crashing for the night. If we get there before you then we'll let you know what we do when we get there. Will be meeting up with a couple we've been conversing with on orientbeach.com

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 06:51 PM

deputy--we will be well after you, so I look forward to hearing what you do! We will be getting up in the literal middle of the night to drive 2 hours to catch a 6:30 AM fight.. I am exhausted, just thinking about it..

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 06:58 PM

OK. Still consider ourselves to be newbies since this is trip 2. Not too sure about Grand Case, never having been but I hope to get there sometime during the week. If we don't do it the first night we get there, we will let you know what we do, whether it be in the village or not. Our 1st trip in September was on Delta but we didn't have that long drive. The Sarasota (SRQ) airport is only about 20 minutes and Delta flies out of SRQ. This time we are going for the really good fare so we have to drive across the state

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 07:16 PM

OK thanks
Posted By: ZekeB

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 07:19 PM

Carol, check out the menu at LeDouze inthe village. It is next to Bo Pizza, at the opposite end of the strip from Good Morning. We stayed right above there in January. We alternated breakfasts between them and Good Morning (OK, and SMYC) and had dinner there a couple times. We thought it was tasty and reasonable.
Posted By: pony600

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/22/2019 11:55 PM

I second Le Douze and Hercules.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/23/2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by deputydog1157
OK. Still consider ourselves to be newbies since this is trip 2. Not too sure about Grand Case, never having been but I hope to get there sometime during the week. If we don't do it the first night we get there, we will let you know what we do, whether it be in the village or not. Our 1st trip in September was on Delta but we didn't have that long drive. The Sarasota (SRQ) airport is only about 20 minutes and Delta flies out of SRQ. This time we are going for the really good fare so we have to drive across the state

You can fly direct from Sarasota to SXM on Delta?
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/23/2019 10:16 AM

We would have to throw our vote in for Yellow Sub. We ate there on our first evening on the island. Even though we had a good night's sleep the night before in Charlotte,travel does tend to wear you out a bit and we wanted something easy. Had a late lunch there and then crashed for the night. Their burgers with exotic cheeses are to die for!

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/23/2019 12:38 PM

Direct No. SRQ to ATL then to SXM. Pricing is very high and that's why we're going from FLL in June. Delta was $754 PP coach where JetBlue was $276 PP. SRQ is small boutique airport. In season there are direct flights from the north (Boston, JFK, Chicago, Toronto). Delta is the main major airline and they have many flights to and from Atlanta. Allegiant airlines is starting to use SRQ more and it has opened other cities like Nashville direct flight but there's no direct service to the caribbean from SRQ. Sorry if it sounded like I flew direct from SRQ to SXM. I was trying to explain why I am doing the 3 1/2 drive to get to FLL
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/23/2019 02:09 PM

If it were me, I'd want to get out of my traveling clothes and have dinner at the villa. Why not have Jeannie deliver some cheese, pate, fruit, a baguette, and a bottle of champagne? The perfect arrival meal, in my opinion.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/23/2019 03:51 PM

Georgia--Don't forget, we live in Florida, so our travelling clothes are the same as what we wear in SXM! laugh We may well end up just going to a smaller grocery store close to Grand Case and picking up a few items to take back to the villa. I love food shopping on vacation and would prefer to just pick up what I want. I find the price for Jeannie is not worth it to ME.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 11:07 AM

I agree Carroll too much food to order to meet the minimum requirement for us anyway
Posted By: pburke40

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 12:21 PM

I know you are looking for a place to eat in Grand Case, but Villa Rouge on the road to Cul de Sac is a good bet. It is located where Jam Rock used to be, and is the new location of Villa Pizza which was destroyed by Irma. Same owner and chef, I hear. They have pizza and a lot of other amazing food. Very French.....

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 01:08 PM

I think we are going to give up on Grand Case, unless we get carry out from the little pizza place or Le Bounty.. At this point, the plan is probably to try to get carry out from the little pizza place in Grand Case or get something for dinner from Hope Market, and take it back to the villa to eat.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 01:59 PM

Carol, Juts a thought. Since Travel Talk talks about Bistrot Caraibes and Piazza Pascal so much and get them so much business, why not reach ou and see if they might accommodate you? While they are not open that early, I bet the staff is there prepping. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 02:00 PM

I really do not even want something that heavy or elaborate. Certainly not worth trying to call in a favor for.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 03:54 PM

The best thing Carol is to play it by ear, nothing ever goes as planned and if there is a flight delay, all your plans go out of the window and yet you could be starving depending on what happens or just too tired to eat a big meal anyway. We are all different. I always like(if I am up to it) on the first night to take a long and satisfying meal to get the whole vacation kick started in the right frame. Expensive or cheap, don't care, but it needs to be good.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/24/2019 04:27 PM

bran--that is what we have decided to do, just play it by ear. Everyone is different, but I NEVER want a big meal the first night. Usually just a burger or a pizza or whatever, but I do want something hot, not just a cold sandwich. Usually too tired to even think about anything elaborate or expensive.
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/26/2019 06:25 PM

If you are going to the Hope Market - just across the road in the complex is L'Express Bakery [run by Bacchus?]
We bought great sandwiches for the beach there. You said no to sandwiches but we did see other dishes and they had a great baguette.

Might worth a check if are going to Hope Market anyway- less than a minute from the Hope Market. Stayed parked in the same spot and walkover

J&B

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/26/2019 07:11 PM

OK, even if not the first day, sounds like a place we should check out.
Posted By: barryvabeach

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/27/2019 07:39 PM

My vote is to drop your bags, then walk up Boulevard De Grand Case and see what is open. We stayed there in February, and there was a tiny pizza place near the lolos - no inside seating, but he had a bar and bar stools, and made the pizza's to order. Prior to Irma, there was a pizza place on the main road, opposite where Rainbow is, with a wood fired oven that made a great Neapolitan style pizza, but it was closed when we were there, and the oven had been moved out, so I don't think that is open.

Re: EARLY dinner in Grand Case - 04/27/2019 07:41 PM

OK, will check it out at some point, even if not the first day.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline