TravelTalkOnline

Cracking down on cycles \ robberies

Posted By: BeachKitten

Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 03:55 PM

“It’s crazy, these young people not wearing crash helmets, going full speed with no regard for other users on the road. But I’m here to try and solve this problem. There will be more controls, yes, but we are taking a different approach to it with new methods. It will be combined with more campaigns and awareness programmes in the schools.

When you consider the ratio of fatalities to the population number, eight deaths (five from two-wheelers) is quite a graphic statistic.”

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...efts-top-priorities-for-commandant-basso
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 03:57 PM

It would be great if they could get a handle on the scooters..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
“It’s crazy, these young people not wearing crash helmets, going full speed with no regard for other users on the road. But I’m here to try and solve this problem. There will be more controls, yes, but we are taking a different approach to it with new methods. It will be combined with more campaigns and awareness programmes in the schools.

When you consider the ratio of fatalities to the population number, eight deaths (five from two-wheelers) is quite a graphic statistic.”

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...efts-top-priorities-for-commandant-basso

That will only work IF the culprits are in school and my bet is most are not. I wish him luck.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 04:17 PM

Exactly. The ones I see are hanging around in the streets during the day...certainly not in school.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 04:27 PM

They are finally cracking down on reckless driving on Long Island. I witness reckless driving daily and it is out of control both in NY and in SXM. https://abc7ny.com/traffic/video-reckless-driving-caught-on-camera-leads-to-arrest/1395159/
Posted By: dcarol

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 04:48 PM

Maybe. when they raise the drinking age it may help somewhat. Hope so.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 04:55 PM

I really don't think drinking has much to do with it and this story is from the French side, which already was 18. The problem seems to be that there are no rules for these scooters, as far as they are concerned. They have no drivers' licenses, no insurance, no helmets, often no tags, doing wheelies through the middle of traffic and there is no enforcement of any laws. And if you look at crime reports, so often the perpetrator rides away on a scooter.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 07:39 PM

You got it! A MAJOR crackdown would do more than any education programs. Word of mouth of STRICT enforcement would be the best thing to happen and is cheap.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/13/2019 07:47 PM

Totally agree.....
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/14/2019 02:46 AM

It's not just the Caribbean.

Here's a link to an even worse problem in London, where Police have been forced to use extreme tactics:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lice-started-ramming-suspects-bikes.html
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Cracking down on cycles \ robberies - 09/14/2019 03:23 PM

That tactic would never work here in the states because that level of enforcement is potentially equal to deadly force. Ever wonder why police don't use the "Stop Sticks" or ram a motorcycle when they are chasing them is due to the fact that the end result of that action could/would be death to the operator. England doesn't have that pesky document called a CONSTITUTION with the associated Bill of Rights.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline