TravelTalkOnline

St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg

Posted By: Bahston

St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/09/2019 10:50 PM

Article published by St Maarten News:

https://stmaartennews.com/business/hustled-harassed-philipsburg/
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/09/2019 11:03 PM

Pretty sad. Sounds like Diamond International must have made a sweetheart deal with someone.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/09/2019 11:16 PM

And they wonder why the cruise ship days are dropping
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/09/2019 11:23 PM

Interesting article. Wasn't aware it's gotten that bad. Last May I didn't encounter anything like that.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/09/2019 11:27 PM

That is an unfortunate situation for some of the tourists as well as the vendors. We were cruisers in 2012 and stopped in St.Thomas. By the time we left, we were kind of stressed out from all the huck and jive we experienced there. Next stop was St. Maarten. We were really impressed with the port, and mostly the organization of the taxi's and that we were not pressured at all. That experience led us to return and see more, and have been coming back since. It's all about first impressions and hopefully this doesn't turn everyone off enough that they don't care to experience the rest of the island some day.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 11:17 AM

sad
Posted By: kim

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 11:50 AM

36 years of trips and November was probably the last trip I will make into town until they do something about the face cream folks. Pushy beyond belief - they make the hustlers in Times Square seem like nothing. They don’t take the simple “no thank you”. I actually got “walked into” a store after saying no. Man and women ever so nicely hooked my arms to have a look. Sure they were being “cute” but it was over the top!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 11:54 AM

You have that 100% correct. The "miracle salve" people were beyond pushy and far worse than anything else in town or anywhere else for that matter. I noticed they seemed to rotate between stores (we were in town way too much!) but they all had the same annoying pushy behavior.
Posted By: lcote

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 12:26 PM

the miracle salve people are easily rebuffed. Say, I have anaphylactic allergies. They didn't bother me yesterday after I said that
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 12:31 PM

last trip we got offered a free cream sample on front street and a quick sales pitch, but just walked away and that was it. The time share folks near the marina were super pushy, but again we just walked away after a few no thanks you's. They sometimes say you can't afford to miss out on this free blah blah blah, and i tell them i can buy that, but i can't buy back my vacation time lost.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 04:26 PM

Kim....how on earth did that happen to you?! lol

I must have my Super B**** face on when they come near me. No way they are gonna get me...ha ha.

I shoot out of that alley near their store and avoid them like the plague. They have smart a** mouths on them now too. frown
A woman in front of me said she lives on the island and they kept challenging her..it was awful.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 04:31 PM

And we are sometimes referred to as the ugly Americans. Lol. Talk about calling the kettle black.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 06:01 PM

Now that we are discussing this, I don't feel comfortable walking down the street with all the jewelry
ladies stopping you every two feet.

Kim, those cream people are a pain here in the states too. They refuse to take no for an answer.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by The_Lurker
Now that we are discussing this, I don't feel comfortable walking down the street with all the jewelry
ladies stopping you every two feet.

Kim, those cream people are a pain here in the states too. They refuse to take no for an answer.

They sometimes grab you from a mall kiosk. Trying to put something on your hand or whatever...ack!
Posted By: kim

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Kim....how on earth did that happen to you?! lol

Morning after a night at Hole in The Wall!!! 🤭🤦🏻‍♀️ Was not on my A game!!!
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/10/2019 09:44 PM

Reversalife. We are here in San Juan PR and they are harassing my wife and I every time we pass by. We cross the street to avoid them.

I think there is one in Maho.
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/13/2019 12:47 AM

The skincare people are the worst, not taking no for an answer. Was researching that this week and am writing about it now for my newsletter. Annoying doesn't begin to describe them.
Posted By: gomer36

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/13/2019 03:45 PM

Now there's a skin cream store with super aggressive hucksters in Maho. Step in front of you, block your path and curse at you if you won't bite on the pitch. Really slow here this trip..slowest I've ever seen it. This sort of thing won't help. Many first timers stay in Maho, and it really gives the wrong impression IMHO.
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: St Maarten News - Hustled and Harassed in Philipsburg - 12/16/2019 02:14 AM

They're at SBR and BBH selling their stuff too. Very tiny container $150. Uh, no.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline