TravelTalkOnline

17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today

Posted By: PelicanPirate

17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:02 PM

We are worried as we haven't cancelled or made alternate reservations on the dutch side. We thought it was calming down but we are seeing from other sources freshly overturned vehicles and car fires.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
We are worried as we haven't cancelled or made alternate reservations on the dutch side. We thought it was calming down but we are seeing from other sources freshly overturned vehicles and car fires.

You could not give me a free vacation on the French side at this point or any time in the future and I doubt I ever spend another $$ there.

If I had plans for a French side visit as you do, I would make changes to the Dutch side post haste.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:29 PM

I'm sorry, at this point, the gendarmes need to do what needs to be done. Period.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:33 PM

This is live, right now.

https://www.facebook.com/I92SXM/vid...TY2Njg1MzU5MDpWSzoyNTkxOTI2MjgwOTI4NjQ4/
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:44 PM

Not sure how accurate it is but Google maps shows the only blockage being in the French Quarter. Google relies on tracking phones moving around so if there are not enough phones broadcasting it may not show information.

Attached picture SXM1.JPG

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:52 PM

I would doubt that is correct, considering I would assume that Sandy Ground has to be still blocked, regardless of what is happening elsewhere.
Posted By: pat

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:55 PM

If I had plans for a trip to either side of the island right now I would seriously be rethinking those plans regardless of which side I was booked into. For most SXM repeat visitors, a major part of the pleasure in vacationing here is the freedom to wander the island in it’s entirety, or at least it is to me, and for sure, I would NOT feel comfortable exercising that freedom right now. Or trying to.......

I sympathize with the plight of the St. Martiners who have suffered many injustices through the machinations of both their local politicians and France itself and truthfully, this would apply to both sides of the island. I fully respect their right to protest peacefully but personally speaking, I just can’t condone any of the violent actions that have taken place over the past few days. If it were me, jic the present conditions of violent actions continue to occur, I would, at the very least, rebook to the Dutch side of the island and hope things rapidly calm down.

And then there’s the money aspect. There’s no way I could justify spending the kind of money a SXM island vacation costs and having to look over my shoulder for much of the trip while at the same time being deprived of the freedom to enjoy all the island comfortably, knowing full well I could spend a lot less in other locations being landlocked in any of a number of AI resorts.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 03:59 PM

Not accurate at all.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 04:11 PM

Yes, I just looked at SXM Traffic on FB. Google maps is useless in this case.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 04:29 PM

https://www.facebook.com/SXMLATESTNEWS/videos/448757282692800/?vh=e&d=n

Hate to corrupt TTOL😍, but I have watched a lot of these videos by Carl Javois I believe and they are pretty interesting and he does good commentary. This one talks about the PPRN and insurance.

Another one from yesterday showed the gendarmes towing vehicles with their trucks and the power steering locked and he called them “not to smart” not to put someone in the front seat 😂.

I did the link myself. It brings up many videos.The first video is the one i wanted. Others are i teresting.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 04:41 PM

Rally in Marigot, and a truck parade in Galisbay
https://www.facebook.com/Angiesxm/v...4592871779/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

Replacing roadblocks and burning.... frown
https://www.facebook.com/mareeka.do...2808371281/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I'm sorry, at this point, the gendarmes need to do what needs to be done. Period.

Correct, this is way past the "PROTESTING" stage. it is violent and destructive and the punk-a$$ hoodlums need to be dealt with in the most severe manner.

I would also NOT rely on Google maps or anything other that LIVE reports as what is happening at this time today may be way different an hour from now.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 05:08 PM

Im hearing most of the cars being burned are written off junkers fron the hurricane so at least that is better than taking somebodies good car and destroying it.

Also, read that they are doing “operation escargot’s” basically drive slow and clog up traffic.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 05:24 PM

Seems like what Irma didn't do the "government" will finish. Shame that the people of the French side have to deal with this. I am not in a position to know what exactly the PPRN says and/or what effect(s) it will have on the property rights of the citizens but if the information being reported is true, I too would be upset. In my mind protesting does not mean violence and arson. That is called rioting, like LA after the Rodney King verdict. Different countries do not have the same ideals as us in the USA and Canada. Thank God for the constitution.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 06:00 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...oyous-couch-burning-ohio-state-fans/amp/

No different than our bright kids here at our most prestigious university in Ohio. 😀
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 06:16 PM

Thanks for posting current video and for those tourists unaware stay vigilant.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:01 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...oyous-couch-burning-ohio-state-fans/amp/

No different than our bright kids here at our most prestigious university in Ohio. 😀

And a great example of why I am NOT an Ohio State fan. Deal with those morons in the same fashion as the thugs on French St. Martin.

Don't get me wrong, protesting a cause is one thing, destroying property, rioting, looting and causing a major disruption is another.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:11 PM

Im hearing most of the cars being burned are written off junkers fron the hurricane so at least that is better than taking somebodies good car and destroying it.

Also, read that they are doing “operation escargot’s” basically drive slow and clog up traffic.

You might want to check what you are "hearing" about cars being burned as I am seeing pictures on FB that show a line of cars (parked in a lot) that look to be in pretty good shape (and not junkers) prior to being torched.
FB GROUP

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:12 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wd...ear-at-ud-campus-on-st-patricks-day/amp/

One of our private higher learning outfits with riot police

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:22 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wd...ear-at-ud-campus-on-st-patricks-day/amp/

One of our private higher learning outfits with riot police

Thanks but this has NOTHING to do with the conversation at hand. You can continue to beat on Ohio or you can face the facts of what is going on with regards to French St. Martin.

Any more unrelated posts with be removed.

You initiated to conversation in this thread and said you were worried. If you didn't like my answer, so be it but we are done talking about colleges in Oh or anywhere else for that matter.
Posted By: BGH

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:25 PM

Well said JD ,Lets keep this a Sxm discussion .

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:28 PM

I am Ohio and you are too. I’m a UD and OSU fan. Im not bashing Ohio, I’m showing similarity.

Folks like to think st Martin is different than home. It’s not. In fact it looks like the Gendarmes and Dayton police get their riot helmets/shields from same supplier.

We have issues, they have issues.

It just happens these issues get into our beloved vacation plans.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:39 PM

Pelican--Again, please leave Ohio out of this conversation...

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:41 PM

Sorry, I don't really get the similarities but the discussion in this thread will be about SXM and not OH colleges going forward.
Thanks.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 07:55 PM

`

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 09:41 PM

ST Maarten News

This is a private group so one must be a member to view or comment.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 09:43 PM

Another FB Page

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 09:55 PM

Not true. People are just trying to park and shop. Then their cars are on fire!!! shocked

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier

Private group I can't open.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 09:58 PM

Horrible and disgusting way to protest. Looks like the white one on fire was a junker with flat tire with non matching wheels and spread to another non junker parked next to it.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by ruralcarrier

Private group I can't open.

You can always join. I guess I am a member and did not realize it was private.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/17/2019 10:13 PM

I belong to too many as it is.

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/18/2019 03:22 AM

Posted on St Martin News
"According to the latest info we received the Minister is cancelling PPRN and. The protest is over, clean up time. Got this from F.Q. I just confirm. A new prefete one that was here before will be coming in January to sit down and map out a new plan with the people"

Re: 17 DEC-looks like roadblocks and car fires again today - 12/18/2019 03:32 AM

Correction. Postponed for 3 months.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline