TravelTalkOnline

ship aground

Posted By: kccouple

ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:06 PM

just saw the ship on the rocks ove r by Karacter's.Any know story?
Posted By: EdB

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:13 PM

saw on another post on facebook. It is the D Party Boat. broke from it's moorings over night....and smashed into the rocks.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:15 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....1135796310108607&type=3&theater
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:18 PM

Scroll down a few posts to see pictures.
SoualigaPost
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:26 PM

It's on the PTZ Island Cam.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:42 PM

It's not by Karakter, It's at the other end, past Beachside Villas and El Zafiro.
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:49 PM

yes. Exactly!

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 04:52 PM

Looking at that webcam live, I worry it's going to break apart and sink right there... The waves are really pounding it..

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 06:16 PM

Ouch

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 06:34 PM

Island cam.
https://www.sxmislandcam.com/
Wreck is just a few yards to the right of out friends home.
Posted By: Newt

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 06:36 PM

Carol can you give the the webcam link?

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 06:37 PM

Just did in my prior post but here it is again.
https://www.sxmislandcam.com/

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 06:40 PM

Posted by m island friend on his Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.attin/videos/10163176302775495/?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARCyFIOhnemYSS586Ra5EvJjn_jkL_iV-suOSnlcYMqewnzjF1jEEp1xjxNShwXSKnrBTcOyEB-gJwpN&hc_ref=ARRVELMWRuuxs9CleQFGPZ8XcmE-SO81OnAq2ePVEaGNHd7ebzMCzUYq77wgFrTpTJ8&fref=nf

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Posted by m island friend on his Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.attin/videos/10163176302775495/?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARCyFIOhnemYSS586Ra5EvJjn_jkL_iV-suOSnlcYMqewnzjF1jEEp1xjxNShwXSKnrBTcOyEB-gJwpN&hc_ref=ARRVELMWRuuxs9CleQFGPZ8XcmE-SO81OnAq2ePVEaGNHd7ebzMCzUYq77wgFrTpTJ8&fref=nf

The link is not working.

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:12 PM

I just highlighted it and clicked open and it went right to the Video for me.

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:14 PM

I just highlighted it and clicked open and it went right to the Video for me.

Private group or you have to be a friend to see it?

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Go back to the previous page · Go to News Feed · Visit our Help Center
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:32 PM

The link didn't work for me.

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlueGreenWater
The link didn't work for me.

And it is because it is not a public post, it is a private group or you have to be a friend of the person to see it. SXMScubaman does not understand that, again.

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by WayneB

The island cam link is not the one in question.

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:45 PM

It's not a private group but a friend of ours and a Facebook friend of ours. I do understand private group restraints on Facebook since you questioned me. Sorry if it doesn't work for you as it is a very good close up video.

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 07:57 PM

Different view on the webcam now, although if you know where to look, you can see it's there..

Re: ship aground - 01/13/2020 08:52 PM

And only friends of your friend can view it unless they change the settings to "Public".

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 12:42 AM

Right. Got it.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 12:16 PM

It's visible from SBR (with help) and it's not a small ship. Presently lengthwise on the rocks being battered by decent waves. Attempt (2nd) to remove was scheduled for 5pm Monday (Daily Herald) but I bet that was postponed because of strong winds. Thunder and heavy rain for the last our this am which hopefully could be the end of the front...hopefully.

There is also a yacht aground in Nettle Bay...shallow water preventing removal for now

If the rain stops we are going to walk Simpson Bay Beach and I'll try to get a pic....but it's not near the beach at all...seems to be at least halfway to the southern end of rocks

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 01:27 PM

Pic taken from SBR condo miles away so quality is a bit lacking but you get the idea....(also not too confident on my pic attachment skills)

Attached picture ship.jpg

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 01:53 PM

Thanks, good shot. Looks like it needs some attention soon. My understanding is there are no motors on the boat so any movement will have to be by way of towing.

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 01:58 PM

boucharda--great shot and no problem with the picture attachment! It really is easy.

It is up against the cliffs there at Beacon Hill, not on the beach. Hopefully they will be able to tow it away soon.

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 02:26 PM

According to the DH story, the owner says there is no damage to the vessel and they expect to be able to tow it away today.

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 02:49 PM

I missed that reported Tuesday potential attempt BUT as you see in the Herald pic from Monday the ship was pointing at the rocks and today it is sideways against the rocks with surf breaking over the deck...should be interesting AND the weather is no better, actually worse, than on Monday

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 02:51 PM

Ok, regarding the weather for today. Guess they were wrong that it was supposed to be better today. Yesterday afternoon, the ship was sideways, yes. Hope they are able to get it off.

Re: ship aground - 01/14/2020 11:35 PM

D-Boat Facebook

Re: ship aground - 01/15/2020 12:02 PM

Still there...today seems a bit calmer so more potential for removal

Re: ship aground - 01/16/2020 08:26 PM

Anyone have an update on this? Is the ship still there on the rocks?

Re: ship aground - 01/16/2020 08:32 PM

Yup...looks comfy hanging out

No clue why no effort to remove today..beautiful weather and minimal winds

Re: ship aground - 01/16/2020 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Yup...looks comfy hanging out

No clue why no effort to remove today..beautiful weather and minimal winds

$$$??

Re: ship aground - 01/16/2020 11:34 PM

Maybe has to be seen by an insurance adjuster before removal. Could be anyone of many reasons.

Re: ship aground - 01/16/2020 11:57 PM

Maybe has to be seen by an insurance adjuster before removal. Could be anyone of many reasons.

Insurance, sadly, I doubt it.

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 12:00 AM

Never know. They could have some.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 12:59 AM

Hopefully the responsible owner has enough money to get it pull away or the Gov does it ASAP. Otherwise next high seas it could end up in Beachside Villas living room. Did anyone else not think that boat was a accident waiting to happen??

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 01:55 AM

I never thought that. What makes you think that?

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 10:48 AM

I never thought that. What makes you think that?

Did you ever see it up close? No motor for one thing.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by foreversxm
Hopefully the responsible owner has enough money to get it pull away or the Gov does it ASAP. Otherwise next high seas it could end up in Beachside Villas living room. Did anyone else not think that boat was a accident waiting to happen??

When it was parked at Dinghy Dock it looked like a huge hazzard! I would NEVER step foot on that thing.
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 12:55 PM

I agree with beachkitten, it’s like putting lip stick on a pig! I’ve actually spoke to the owners several times. I was always left with the feeling of zero experience or responsibility, just blowing thru money. At the time they told me that the lease on that tub was $16,000 a month, and was hoping to get several cruise contracts. We knew well ahead of time that it’s final destination was going to be out in Simpson Bay. Good luck to them and everyone else involved, hope the remove it safely! I also hope that the REAL owners come and retrieve their property!

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Originally Posted by foreversxm

When it was parked at Dinghy Dock it looked like a huge hazzard! I would NEVER step foot on that thing.

You got it!

I watched them working on it, loading it and hauling trash off one day back in March. It was a real $hit show to say the least.

If the other poster is correct with the $16,000/month lease figure, GOOD LUCK with that!

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 03:36 PM

Still there.....a tugboat is nearby so this may be the day

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 03:48 PM

I hope so. There is supposed to be more rough weather I think this weekend.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 03:52 PM

Midgard Max tug from the cruise ship port is there but the cam isn't zoomed in enough to see if they are tugging yet.

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 03:56 PM

I presume you're referring to SXM Island Cam??

If that's a tug there, it's too far away to be actually hooked up to the boat, one would think? Maybe if they do get hooked up to tow it, they will zoom in.

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 04:06 PM

Yes the island cam. You may be right on too far away. It looked like the water was stirred up near the tug, but it may have just been rough water. They need to zoom in, as inquiring minds want to know! LOL

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 04:13 PM

Yes, if anyone sees it zoomed in, please post here! Thanks!

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 05:02 PM

The tug just left with no D Boat.

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 05:15 PM

Crap. Wonder what that means?
Posted By: chazo

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 05:31 PM

You don't just tie on a rope and start to pull. It could very well be holed and the rocks the only think keeping it afloat. Even if it's not an immediate sinking risk, pulling it off the rocks without careful examination and planning could rip the bottom out of her. With that much boat bashing against rocks, there is bound to be some serious damage.

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 05:40 PM

Well, that's certainly true, but I would have thought that they would have had a scuba diver inspect the damage first, especially since the ship has now been there since Monday? Presumably there would have already been an examination of the hull done before they even sent the tug there. My feeling is that perhaps they are waiting to get a second tug to help pull it, or a bigger one?

edit--UNLESS that boat was in fact not a tug but a dive boat? Can anyone confirm that it in fact was a tug boat?

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 06:04 PM

If you look at the marine traffic under the island cam, and find the Midgard Max, click on it, and it states being a tug and shows a picture of it. It is now back at the Cruise port tied up. yes, i doubt they would have just sent a tug over just to inspect, but who knows?

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 06:11 PM

SXMbeacher--oh, sorry, yes you said that. As I said, bad weather coming back in this weekend. They need to get it out of there today..
Posted By: kccouple

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 07:18 PM

Its nearly impossible to see on island cam as it is an extremely wide angle shot usually. It was zoomed in afew days ago to show the ship

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 07:53 PM

NP Carol, and yes, today would have been a great opportunity to fetch that bad boy. I'm hoping it doesn't become another one of those neglected wrecks.

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 08:19 PM

With bad weather expected this weekend, or at least, high seas, it is worrisome...

Re: ship aground - 01/17/2020 08:37 PM

As mentioned above it is still there. There was a tug a distance away from the boat this AM with a zodiac right against D Boat. Seas are reasonably calm with minimal wave activity. I would try to get another pic but it would not be different from pic #1....but with less wave activity

Anyone on the upper floors of both SBR B buildings or F building can see it easily
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: ship aground - 01/18/2020 03:44 PM

If I was a business owner or lived on Simpson Bay I would be freaking out about this.

Can you imagine if it ended up on the beach or pushed into another building during high seas? Less likely now since were out of hurricane season it literally could take a building down And then it sits in front of your house or business for months until somebody figures out what to do , not to mention the environmental hazard. I am all for entrepreneurship but the government has to start really thinking about how such things will or could affect others long term.

I’m sure many remember at least a few ships over the years ended up on the beach on Simpson Bay and left for a long time. High seas are forecasted this weekend so let’s hope we don’t see a repeat. Way to close for those at that end of Simpson Bay!

Re: ship aground - 01/18/2020 03:50 PM

Supposedly the SXM Nature Foundation has taken a look at it and made a facebook post on Jan. 13 pertaining to it.

Scroll to see the discussion.

NATURE FOUNDATION SXM
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: ship aground - 01/18/2020 04:21 PM

I was just there (watching it from the overlook in Beacon Hill). It has no engines so no fuel or oil. I do hope they can move it away into the lagoon TODAY because very rough swells start tomorrow. The D-Boat is not "stuck" solid; it is actually rocking a bit so I expect would be in more danger when seas get rougher tomorrow. But the question is can it be moved off t he rocks without endangering the hull. People are aboard NOW (4 or 5 anyway) I expect trying to determine that. Not an enviable situation at all.

Re: ship aground - 01/18/2020 04:38 PM

I really hope they are able to get it moved today.

Re: ship aground - 01/18/2020 08:14 PM

No activity...gonna spend another night
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline