TravelTalkOnline

Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism??

Posted By: foreversxm

Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 03:26 PM

I know some will not like to hear this but I read a travel opinion that a EU travel ban against US citizens would actually help Caribbean and other destinations that are open for them to travel to. Makes sense if you have less options. Let’s hope SXM can manage their doable and reasonable arrival protocols to keep locals and tourists safe.

Obviously this comes with some but hopefully low risk of new cases.

Any thoughts??
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 03:29 PM

Food for thought .
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 03:40 PM

We have been wearing masks at work and when out so hopefully everything subsides. Just hoping the protocols for coming are doable. Don't want to bring anything with me, but I also don't want to fly somewhere just to quarantine in a hotel. Everyone should be used to wearing masks so continuing to do so in St Maarten shouldn't be an issue.
Posted By: George1234

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 05:32 PM

EU travel ban against US citizens would actually help Caribbean and other destinations that are open for them to travel to.

With the surge happening in the south, I can see more destinations banning US citizens in the near future.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 05:37 PM

This is bad news for the Frenchside of SXM that follows French Law and is part of the EU. The PM on the Dutch side may allow tourists from the USA but when they close the Frenchside border again to tourist it will be a disaster!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 05:43 PM

If the French border is closed again, that would be a disaster, yes..
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 05:52 PM

I don't see that happening but you never know.

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 06:19 PM

I certainly hope it doesn't happen.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
If the French border is closed again, that would be a disaster, yes..

I agree, and am concerned that this could happen.
Posted By: dmwieser

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 08:38 PM

As of right now, it is being reported that it is almost a guarantee that the USA will continue to be on the travel ban list for the July 1st EU open. This is based on the spikes and new infection rate and the fact that the US still has the EU generally banned from entering. The list will be updated every 14 days with additions and subtractions to the list based on what is happening with the virus. China, Canada and Australia are supposedly being allowed entrance and taken off the ban list - but that can always change. We will see once the list is presented, who made the cut and if the territories will be included. There is a possibility that if the French Side closes to the US- especially if the US virus cases continue to spike, the entire island will be closed to the US until further notice. At this point, I don't think anyone really knows what is going to happen in the short term or long term including the EU themselves. Time will tell!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/27/2020 08:48 PM

It's really a "duh" moment when the states that had a significant number of cases like MA, NY and RI (number and percentage of positive) implemented restrictions AND stuck to them. They are now slowly winding them down and monitoring cases. and numbers are in the low hundreds....States like FL, TX and AZ just said everything is fine and went back to normal (essentially) and now, today, FL reported +9585 cases....and in has increased by thousands daily....

Kinda says something to me anyway....maybe the restrictions for travel should be geared to state residency rather than screwing the entire country...

My opinion....
Posted By: BGH

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 12:22 AM

A definite travel issue for Americans . USA residents are also banned from crossing into Canada Via vehicles ...Usa will become an island shortly ...
A big country with no where to go.

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 12:28 AM

Been banned to go into Canada for a while now without mandatory quarantine.
Posted By: Cathyg

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 12:33 AM

We have a road trip planned to New England in September...right now several New England states are requiring a 2 week quarantine for out of state visitors. Every day...out trip grows more bleak.....within our OWN country. I don't blame other countries for banning us. We have not handled this well and quite frankly....we would not allow others into America if they posed the threat that we pose.
Posted By: Jonny

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 08:14 AM

Wrong
Every canadian province has a mandatory quarantine period of 14 days
Essential workers coming to work are only exceptions truck drivers, marine vessel crew engaged in trade , skilled workers, etc etc but these workers must still quarantine when not at work
Do.some research before you post

With sxm being a such small island (like our own canadian island) we all know like elaine said sxm is unable to test their own population, so I think its selfish for people from outbreak countries to try and travel to small islands that can cause a potential outbreak which could devastate the population and sxm health system

Stay put and enjoy your staycations
Posted By: Jonny

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 08:17 AM

Post deleted
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cathyg
We have a road trip planned to New England in September...right now several New England states are requiring a 2 week quarantine for out of state visitors. Every day...out trip grows more bleak.....within our OWN country. I don't blame other countries for banning us. We have not handled this well and quite frankly....we would not allow others into America if they posed the threat that we pose.

I sent you a PM
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 12:28 PM

Just to get away and make up for our lost trip to Bruges, Belgium in July I was going to do an II exchange for a nice 3 BR cabin in Maine....5 hour drive...not a biggie. But then I found out that unless I was from Vermont or NH I would need a negative COVID test within 3 days of arrival or be subject to a mandatory 14 day quarantine ....very similar to SXM

Edit: oops...should have read the interstate quarantine post and posted there.....sorry
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 06:02 PM

I would hope SXM continues the US ban until we get our act together which isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 06:19 PM

There is no band to continue.

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 06:30 PM

I believe under an emergency family situation , Americans can cross into Canada ..But 2 week mandatory quarantine is required .
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 07:42 PM

Tim, there is no ban. First plane from Atlanta July 2nd.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BGH
A definite travel issue for Americans . USA residents are also banned from crossing into Canada Via vehicles ...Usa will become an island shortly ...
A big country with no where to go.

While tourisim visits to Canada are banned, Americans can drive across the Canadian border is they are transiting to Alaska. They are told to use drive thrus for food and pay at pump for gas and limit contact. Any stays at hotels require 14 day quarantine.

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 10:55 PM

And they stop in Banff Alberta site seeing ..And many were fined ..Stupid people ..Some were from Texas
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/28/2020 11:00 PM

I believe US and Canada are only allowing very restricted crossing between both countries at this time.

Re: Will EU ban on US citizens help SXM tourism?? - 06/29/2020 12:02 AM

..and all of this has ZERO to do with the EU.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline