TravelTalkOnline

US flights put off until August 1 at least..

Posted By: SXMScubaman

US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/07/2020 06:46 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/st-maarten-to-reopen-to-united-states-on-july-15
I think this is a pipe dream the way the USA covid cases are increasing.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/07/2020 06:52 PM

I don't know if it will happen or not. SXM government needs to make a decision and keep to it, and get the information disseminated to those who want to come. I guess that Aruba was re-considering reopening on July 10, but are going to proceed at that time.
Posted By: Jeff_C

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/07/2020 08:32 PM

My wife and I have tickets to go to SXM on Nov 28 . We are flying with United out of Newark . Just checked on United web site to see when they think they will be flying .
Did not get any flights that came up until Nov .22 Has anyone heard for sure when United thinks they will be flying to SXM again ? Jeff
Posted By: dj1094

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/07/2020 11:36 PM

My flight was cancelled July 25 and the return also Aug 8 on United
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 12:19 AM

I have a flight booked on United oct 31 to nov 14 from Newark and have not heard anything from United. I am anticipating going as room is also booked but as the time gets closer I will check on the flights.
Posted By: sxmBoston

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 12:25 AM

I have tickets on AA for the 16th. For the last month my flight times have been changing. Today they called me to tell me that my flight times have changed. Before the conversation was over, I said "I'll talk to you in 3-5 days when you cancel my flight"
Posted By: freedomfighter

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I don't know if it will happen or not. SXM government needs to make a decision and keep to it, and get the information disseminated to those who want to come. I guess that Aruba was re-considering reopening on July 10, but are going to proceed at that time.

I completely agree Carol! We are scheduled to fly out of MIA on July 22nd. I have assumed that there was zero chance of that happening. If I'm wrong, we need to figure out COVID testing and several other details quickly.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_C
My wife and I have tickets to go to SXM on Nov 28 . We are flying with United out of Newark . Just checked on United web site to see when they think they will be flying .
Did not get any flights that came up until Nov .22 Has anyone heard for sure when United thinks they will be flying to SXM again ? Jeff

Non-stop EWR-SXM flights are in the system for Fri-Sat-Sun beginning Sun 25 Oct. Who know if they will stick or not.
Posted By: BGH

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 02:20 PM

Just updated to August 1 Per Jeff Soc .

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 02:24 PM

Wow. OK. Come on, SXM, just make a decision and stick to it, whatever it is.
Posted By: BGH

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 02:31 PM

They are playing with real peoples lives ...I still feel it is too early to allow flights from high risk countries ..

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 02:37 PM

While I somewhat agree with the concept that it's too early, just make a decision, people!!!!

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 02:47 PM

Update.
https://www.facebook.com/SXMGOV/photos/a.401614693343195/1676831742488144/
Posted By: Angelface

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 04:48 PM

While I somewhat agree with the concept that it's too early, just make a decision, people!!!!

I hear that...but aren't they making a decision based on real time information that is changing literally by the day? I have a lot of grievances with this government, and my reasons for traveling are well beyond a vacation (hello, I'd like to see my parents), but this isn't something I fault them on. Just MHO
Posted By: Bahston

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 05:00 PM

And yet TEATT just yesterday confirmed July 15.

Personally, no matter what is confirmed, 2020 isn’t happening for me. And maybe not 2021.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 05:01 PM

I agree the situation in the US is changing, but YESTERDAY, the Tourism director reiterated the middle of July date.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 05:19 PM

I feel really bad for the businesses in St Maarten. These constant changes are going to keep people from even thinking about coming since there is so much fluctuation. Carol is right, yesterday it was one thing and today another and nothing really changed to make that decision different from what I can see.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 05:25 PM

zeus--agreed, SXM businesses are hurting, and these constant changes are not good for anyone. This constant changing is doing more damage than if they had just announced a much longer date to begin with. And, see the story also about the lady from the Netherlands who was denied entry because of an allegedly "invalid" test. Everyone's worst nightmare.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 05:30 PM

Herald article.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/reopening-to-us-pushed-back-another-two-weeks
Posted By: dmwieser

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 07:01 PM

There is zero chance that SXM will be opening its borders to the US anytime soon. The virus numbers in the states continue to climb and the island will not and should not expose its population to Americans at this time. The same will happen if the EU and Canada begin to see the same types of spikes happening within their borders. They too will be closed out of SXM once again.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 07:29 PM

And, see the story also about the lady from the Netherlands who was denied entry because of an allegedly "invalid" test. Everyone's worst nightmare.

Carol, I can't find that story; would you please post a link? Thank you.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 07:31 PM

Georgia--Right here on TTOL.

Link

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 08:15 PM

Thank you. I didn't read past the part about the welcome shower...my bad.
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 09:48 PM

Angelface and dmwieser, I agree with you. While tourism probably really need the capital from the US, should they let them in with a possibility of killing a mass amount of their residents?. What good is the money if the folks who would benefit from it dies as a result of the action taken? They probably see where some folks vehemently refuse to wear face mask in the US, because they feel that it infringes upon them as being a privileged person. So they have to ask themselves these questions as they view what is happening in the US.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/08/2020 11:13 PM

They probably see where some folks vehemently refuse to wear face mask in the US, because they feel that it infringes upon them as being a privileged person.

You know, there are multiple LEGITIMATE medical reasons some can NOT wear a mask. They are EXEMPT, yet most want to lump everyone together who chooses NOT to wear a mask where is it NOT an order or requirement. I personally know an auto mechanic who suffers from asthma, he has a doctors note for NOT wearing a mask. Has nothing to do with being "privileged" in some cases. I wound not consider asthma or another serious heath condition as being "privileged", but to each their own.

Kind of like the handicap parking placards. Some states pass them out like candy at Halloween, including OH where I live. Who knows if they are legit or not but I do get a kick out of it when the placard parking spaces are blocked by the people too lazy to return the cart 1-3 spaces from the parking spot and it inconveniences other placard vehicles.

Or, perhaps the island is concerned about the violence they see in some of the major US cities. You know, the burning, looting and overall destruction. I doubt the island wants that either. Enough of that was experienced on the French side not long ago.
Posted By: Hdrdr911

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 12:09 AM

Unless and until this virus has a cure/ vaccine that is proven and effective all of our lives have changed. We will not risk ourselves or others given the facts and the reality of this pandemic. Our heart aches that we cannot visit our favorite island but that pales in comparison to the harm we could unknowingly do if we did. There are those who think only of themselves and we see that in the threads both here and on other media. We will not join in that delusional denial of the undeniable
Stay safe and hopefully we can all resume normal life soon.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 12:31 AM

Praying for the best to come , can't just live in a negative state of mind .

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 01:25 AM

"They probably see where some folks vehemently refuse to wear face mask in the US, because they feel that it infringes upon them as being a privileged person."
I see many posts on various Facebook pages from locals on island at large gatherings, bars etc with out facemasks or any social distancing. They are part of the problem too.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 02:07 AM

I think that now the Island has opened up to outsiders, you will stop seeing the locals without masks and social distancing. When the island was closed, they had zero cases and I think the locals felt comfortable with each other.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 02:24 AM

One could only hope and I hope your right but no offence but I think you are looking through rose colored glasses.
Posted By: BillandJan

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 09:34 PM

Wow. OK. Come on, SXM, just make a decision and stick to it, whatever it is.

Respectfully I disagree with your comment. If the situation and the facts change in the opinion of the SXM government officials, then they have every right to change their policy accordingly. The USA governors and President, have constantly changed their positions and policies in light of changing circumstances, regarding the fighting of the pandemic.

It's SXM's country, and they have every right to protect the health and well being of their citizens, so i think we should all cut them some slack, in terms of their decision making process, be it either deliberative or hasty.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/09/2020 10:38 PM

I definitely agree, it is their country, they can do whatever they want. But this situation, announcing a 'definite' opening date, then reaffirming that date 10 days later, then the NEXT day, changing the date again, just shows a lack of good decision making.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/10/2020 12:56 AM

As frustrating as it is for people wanting to travel there, imagine what the local business people are dealing with! Hotels, resorts, and villas that had reservations, and now their guests can't come. Restaurants hoping for increased business. Beach bars, shops...the list goes on.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/10/2020 11:59 AM

So right Georgia. It's pretty dire here. Even those that are able to open are struggling. The owner of our mutual favorite place says they are hoping to just pay the bills and keep their two cooks employed, don't expect any profit at all. Went for a swim yesterday and the folks working were happy to see us, if even just for company. Four customers all day.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/10/2020 12:00 PM

My fear is that by the time we are able to start traveling again, many of our favorite bars, restaurants and accommodations will have gone out of business.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/10/2020 12:30 PM

Agreed, the people of SXM are the ones who are suffering the most right now.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/10/2020 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
So right Georgia. It's pretty dire here. Even those that are able to open are struggling. The owner of our mutual favorite place says they are hoping to just pay the bills and keep their two cooks employed, don't expect any profit at all. Went for a swim yesterday and the folks working were happy to see us, if even just for company. Four customers all day.

I so wish we could be there to support them, and the other places we love so much. Things aren't looking that promising for November at this point, which is even sadder.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/10/2020 10:33 PM

I agree that November may not be happening.

I hope the people are able to hold on...it is very sad.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/11/2020 01:47 PM

I’m going to wait until there is a vaccine or an extremely effective treatment. As much as I love SXM it’s just not worth the risk. And I know people are going to say you have to live your life but I have other priorities besides SXM in my life and I actually want to have a life to live.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/11/2020 01:53 PM

Tim--everyone has to make their own decision and no one should criticize anyone else's decision.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/11/2020 02:27 PM

Exactly. People will make their own choices and will have to live with the consequences. I chose to stay down through hurricane season one year and paid the price - Irma. But it was my choice and my consequences.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/11/2020 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MotownTim
I’m going to wait until there is a vaccine or an extremely effective treatment. As much as I love SXM it’s just not worth the risk. And I know people are going to say you have to live your life but I have other priorities besides SXM in my life and I actually want to have a life to live.

I understand completely.
I also want to to stay well and actually hug my grandchildren again.

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/11/2020 08:52 PM

Tim, I completely agree, and didn't see your comment as being critical of anyone else's decisions. We still haven't decided what to do. Our flights are already purchased, and we own our three weeks at La Vista Beach, so if we do choose to cancel, there's a lot to consider.
Posted By: KitKat

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/12/2020 01:28 AM

We have been owners since 1995 at Divi, and have gone down most years for 2 weeks. Both of our boys love it there, but have not been able to go for many years because of work. We made plans a few years ago to take them and their S.O.'s next February, 2021 for a week to celebrate their Dad's and my 80th birthdays, before we are too old and feeble to climb the 2 flights of stairs to our unit. But are now rethinking our plans, and have decided to put it off until February of 2022. We don't want them to plan their vacations from work and find out the trip will not happen. So better to make the change now. But like everyone else with big plans that have to be rearranged, we are very disappointed.
Posted By: Seaisle

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/14/2020 12:19 PM

I cancelled my Jan trip because I believe there will be too many restrictions. Hopefully will be back in 2021
Posted By: medskis

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/14/2020 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_C

Jeff my husband and I are also flying EWR to SXM on United (11 am departure) on Nov 28....or so we hope. We are booked on the WindSurf cruise home based in SXM and starting its Caribbean season on the 29th....or so they and we hope. Its a small ship and first sailing since March so should be CLEAN. This cruise was in lieu or a September MED cruise.

Actually, we also have two weeks booked at the Villas at Simpson Bay Sept 26 - Oct 10 (for a milestone birthday). We went there September last year (our first September visit vs usual November or late spring) and it was pretty great! I realize September is always risky....and 2020 is much more risky for serious reasons so am fairly certain that trip wont happen. The key is flexibility to cancel within Interval International or with airlines. We have not bought any air yet for 9/26. Looking at a J B option to buy by 7/31 and have flex to cancel for future credit right until last minute to assess (weather) and the important health status. We HAD been more optimistic a few weeks ago when we booked the accommodations as our Mid Atlantic area came out of the worse and the future outlook was looking favorable...but now everything has turned upside down with the terrible situations in “39 of 50” states (as per a news report last night. Hopeful the health situation improves for all..... travel can follow after that.
Posted By: xraylady

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/15/2020 04:04 PM

We are booked to fly out of Newark on United to SXM on October 31 with a return to Newark on November 15. Flights have not as yet been cancelled. Was more hopeful when reservation was made than I am now.
Posted By: caeguy

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/15/2020 04:09 PM

Watching the August 1st date carefully to book flights. We have plans at the end of September.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/15/2020 04:28 PM

Still booked for August 8th. Holding out a little hope now. Hoping someone who has gone thru can give some feedback on the process and how it went.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: US flights put off until August 1 at least.. - 07/15/2020 08:23 PM

I think once SXm is able to test on arrival then that issue will be moot...but....there is still the possibility of getting a asymptomatic positive test back and being toast for two weeks in COVID prison...and then there is the $210/week insurance per couple...and the cost of the tests....and the uncertainty
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline