TravelTalkOnline

So is it everyone not coming ???

Posted By: Kennys

So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 12:19 AM

Hello Folks ,
Is it that everyone is paranoid of coming to the Island for the rest of this year ????
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Hello Folks ,
Is it that everyone is paranoid of coming to the Island for the rest of this year ????

Not me. Our issues are with Delta/AA and the SXM government constantly changing requirements. I would be there in a heartbeat (and it may still happen) but as I am sure you just read, Delta just cancelled our flights for Nov.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 12:43 AM

Our concern is being able to get the test results within the required timeframe. If we can, then we'll be there, but three days is pretty unreasonable.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 12:54 AM

And who knows if the SXM government may change the rules, just prior to your flight, while you are in flight or after you arrive.

It is not that people do not want to come, although I am sure there are some that feel that way. Most just want a reasonable assurance of a safe and enjoyable trip without too many hoops to jump through and no last minute surprises upon arrival.
Posted By: freedomfighter

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:06 AM

Arriving on October 2nd. if the French side opens the border..
Posted By: SANFILIP

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:08 AM

Just checked our JB flight for this November and still planned. I will wait until the first week of November to make the decision, unless it is made for us.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:14 AM

Thanks Folks for your constructive responses and do understand. Just today , I had two Folks and no problem, plus the first couple even bought a Villa at Dawn Beach just pass this July. Know them for many years , but was totally surprised that during this tough time they did this; hence had to be a great deal . Blessings. Lets hope for the best. And the another couple for Beach Side Villas.
Posted By: BGH

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:20 AM

Each makes their own decision...To me travelling makes no sense at this time . Why take a risk ...good luck to those who take that risk ...
Posted By: the captain

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:30 AM

Just drove 1200 miles throughout 5 states and flew transcontinental NY-LA andLAS-NY. Just basic infection control 101

I did met a Young patient in NY who just spent 3 months caught in The quarantine. She states 3 mo in French SXM with true restrictions that make NY restrictions seem like a farce,

Kenny, we are ready to come at a moments notice...
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:31 AM

It has nothing to do with fear! The world shut down from this flu and businesses have been closed for 6 months with my family not working and having to struggle to pay their mortgage, pay their health insurance and pay their tes. This has nothing to do with fear! People can not afford to travel right now when the basic food, shelter and clothing is first in their minds. I will be back when it is possible for travel without a mandatory vaccine or some Covid19 nasal swab.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:43 AM

Understand and we all have the money issues. We have our two children in Canada , our Daughter is getting marry next September and our Son is doing excellent with his studies in Visual Arts and Graffic Design. Me and my Wife can't go anywhere else to live . Such is life . We lost our papers for US way back and no big deal even though all of my Family lives there.
Posted By: kim

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:54 AM

We almost pulled the trigger to come a week from Monday. Gave up trying to get covid testing in time. Planning on October if all goes well!!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:58 AM

Airlines and island aren't making it easy to make reservations with confidence. We have ours for next May and aren't 100% confident it will be a go.
Posted By: JerseyPal

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 02:14 AM

2021 spring is not going to be any better. No vaccine until next summer at best.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:05 AM

Hi Kim, please try to come , thanks.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:09 AM

We would have been there for two weeks and leaving today if they wouldn't keep changing things. I understand what they are trying to do, but making it near impossible for people to meet what is required and then shutting down half the island even if you can jump thru all the hoops is not something I want to do right now.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:31 AM

If AA is flying after Christmas we will be there wearing tyvek hoodie coveralls and full face snorkel mask.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:57 AM

Lot of fun that would be

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Lot of fun that would be

Probably stated in jest, but who knows for sure. IF it would come to something like that, NO WAY would I consider a visit, that is NOT a vacation.

It does resemble what my sister and niece wear at the dental office where they work. My sister is a front desk person and even she has to wear this garb.

Attached picture MB work.JPG
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 10:22 AM

Not a chance until there is some sort of vaccine or treatment. It’s not just being on an airplane, it’s walking through the airport, standing in lines to check in or go through security. It’s immigration when you arrive. It’s sitting at a bar or restaurant wondering if the people next to you are infected. It’s wondering if you do get in infected and it turns nasty how the hell are you going to get off the island to receive proper treatment. And then it’s going through the same stress on the 12 hour trip home. And then it’s waiting in self quarantine in your house so you don’t infect others. Not my idea of a pleasant vacation.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 11:13 AM

We have our plane tickets for our 5 weeks in March. Whether we can actually coed depends on the SXM government. The current requirement for 72 hour tests is impossible to meet right now. Really hoping that changes by the end of February. Flying doesn't concern us that much. We'll wear masks and gloves and takes wipes to disinfect the seats. All reports are that the HEPPA air filters on planes do a good job. We may eat out less and try to eat outside if possible. At the pool it's never been a problem to be well away form others.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 11:21 AM

For us, it's not about fear of the virus. It is about concerns that we won't be able to get our test results in time to travel, and that we won't really know that until right before we're supposed to leave. By then it would be too late to deposit our timeshare weeks with RCI, so we would completely lose three weeks that are paid for already. We'll be making our decision in the next month. We want to come, both to enjoy our annual vacation, and also to see and support the island business owners that we have come to know and love. It's a very difficult situation.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 11:29 AM

Leslie,

With broken hearts we decided not to celebrate our 25th anniversary on SXM. We travel for two weeks at the end of August and have celebrated our last ten anniversaries at La Villa.
Besides the test results, I think our biggest concern is what if one of us contacted the virus while on the island, I'm extremely stubborn and truly want to visit this year, but the risk is not worth it.
I understand that the island needs business as my business has been almost completely shut down since March with no end insight until guests can gather again at catered events.
I never complain about working 7 days a week, but do not like having all this time off.
May we all be safe and healthy and look forward to next year.
Estimated over $3000 saved by changing our travel plans and just eating lobstah for a week in Maine.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 11:53 AM

I plan to be there in January unless things get worse. I am concerned about the 3 day turn around on the test. I'm hoping that by then the saliva test will be available and acceptable. Even if the 3 day test is still in effect, I'll have other tests done before I leave to be sure I'm not a carrier. Worse case scenario is that you get tested at the airport on arrival - I'll eat the $120 for a SXM vacation
Posted By: kim

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 11:58 AM

Hi Kim, please try to come , thanks.

Oh yes! Ken actually clearing a week in October to try to pull it off!! That last storm that hit us really is keeping us busy with generator installs!! If covid wouldn’t have happed you would have seen me 5 times since March already!!!! XO
Posted By: doctorj

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 12:10 PM

We are planning on two weeks on the French side in mid November if possible.
carib cheers,
doctorj

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by timnboston
Worse case scenario is that you get tested at the airport on arrival - I'll eat the $120 for a SXM vacation

My understanding is that the Government of Sint Maarten will not give you the approval to travel if you haven't filled out the form and included the negative test results within 72 hours before you fly. Am I missing something?
Posted By: bonsie

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:13 PM

Leslie,

Nancy and I are not happy with our chances of making our Oct trip. Not only is Covid a issue , I have two doctors telling me not to travel, also, ten days ago I had some serious surgery and this doctor said he doesn't want me to do any flying for 2-3 months. It's not looking good for us but, You will be the first to get a definite answer, probably in about a week. Wishing you and Shirley the best.

Bob & Nancy
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:22 PM

As of right now I will see you on Sept 12th assuming I can obtain the 72 hour negative test.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:25 PM

Lesley--we will not be there this year. We are both in a couple of different high risk groups and I worry about the trip down, in the airport, in lines, etc. and about getting sick down there. We have definite plans for next June. Presumably there should be a vaccine by then and tests should be readily available, in a quick fashion.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:26 PM

As you know we've booked a car with you but it's for the beginning of 2021, not this year. Not sure if that too will change. As of today we are the only two people on the flight.
Posted By: cathym

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:32 PM

Hi Lesley,

We’re booked (rebooked from April) for Oct 19-Nov 2 but so far have not located a lab that can guarantee pcr test results within 72 hours. If that requirement is relaxed or we find a local test that can meet SXM’s requirement we’re still keeping our fingers crossed we can go. We will make our decision by the end of Sept.

Stay well...Cathy
Posted By: Todd

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:41 PM

Fully plan on making the trek across the US down to SXM in November for a bit over three weeks. Unless we get told that we are not able to make the trip and we can't figure out a way around it.

We are presently in Cabo, our first trip since March. It is uncrowded and as safe as being at home in my opinion. Air travel was fine, noting we were up front. Plenty of drink service, a cheese plate that is similar to what Alaska Air has made famous which was fine for a short flight. Could have really used some salami!

Looking forward to seeing our SXM friends.
Cheers,
Todd
Posted By: pat

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:56 PM

Hi, Lesley,

As of this time our plans haven’t changed - we will see you in November as reserved. The big IF for us, as with so many others, is the availability of the quick return Covid test. If we don’t make the November trip it will be the first year since 1974 we won’t have been there and that would break our hearts.

But all that said, this is the year 2020 and judging by the way it’s been going so far, who knows what else can possibly go wrong?! cloud cloud
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 01:56 PM

This breaks my heart Lesley. frown

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 02:16 PM

Thanks Folks and hoping for the best to come.
Posted By: candu

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 02:34 PM

We met someone who had been quarantined on a small Philippine island since March and had just returned to Canada. As an added insult he was fined for overstaying his visa. Too many variables to consider.
Posted By: BeachBumz

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:20 PM

Hi Lesley, we greatly enjoyed our 18 days in SXM. There were no issues at all, with the exception of a few restaurants we liked were closed. In fact, this was one of our best vacations here with very little traffic and felt like royalty in the restaurants.

We will see you again in late October. 😀

Ron and Dee
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:37 PM

Kenny, I think we all feel awful about cancelling, but when you are in that age group
with health issues, it only makes sense to be careful.

Businesses are dropping like flies here at home--it is very sad.
Hopefully there are enough of the young healthy travelers to keep sxm going strong!!!!!!!

We want to be able to make many trips to sxm, after this is a little safer for us---and easier to travel.
We are all set for 2 in 2021!!!

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:57 PM

Thanks Ron and very glad to hear that your vacation was cool.
Stay safe.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 03:59 PM

Yes Dear and same over here literally no business for some. Prayers and strenght.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by The_Lurker

Businesses are dropping like flies here at home--it is very sad.

Yes, that is a concern as well. In addition to job security. Our State budget has been decimated. We are awaiting to hear about layoffs, and there will definitely be furloughs. Loss of income. frown

And those of us who continue to be lucky enough to work are being super cautious with spending, and are saving for the "what if"....when it comes.

November 3rd. November 3rd.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 04:29 PM

And I just saw that Anguilla will charging people some outrageous cost when they do open up.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 05:57 PM

Tyvek? probably not, but cheap disposable sweats/hoodie from Walmart.

We can easily social distance after some trips to grocery. Good year for shop n drop.

We either go New Years or June.

How many businesses can last without all of us for a year+?

Travel if you can accept the risk, stay home if you cant.

Be safe, wash your hands.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 10:56 PM

We are hopeing to go for 2 weeks October 31 but the 72 hour test may make it impossible. Our best chance is if Sxm allows other testing. I understand that will be tough for the island but if they don't I suspect many island businesses might not survive.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/23/2020 11:17 PM

But test are being done at the Airport , I think ?
Posted By: Cincinnati_Kid

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 01:13 AM

Waiting until May of 2021. Testing requirements are scaring me !!

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 09:13 AM

But test are being done at the Airport , I think ?

You may need a test and results done in the US to board your flight. I don't know for sure but it is not a chance I would take.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 11:29 AM

Lesley, surprised you don't know this.

https://stmaartenupdates.com/#Requirements

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 12:23 PM

Yes Dear , I do know of this but not all of the details.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 12:41 PM

Actually, that is the first that I have seen that line in the statement about "incorrect type of tests are subject to retesting onsite at the airport (US $125). Allegedly it's been there since August 6? OK..

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 12:45 PM

Who knows as they constantly change/update/flip-flop on what is required and little official information is given in a timely manner, especially on the government site.
Posted By: gissmo2

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 01:16 PM

Delta just cancelled our three week trip starting Oct 25, so now we don't have to worry about jumping through the hoops, we will wait til next year and hope things improve.
Posted By: CaribEagle

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 01:30 PM

Booked to arrive Oct. 31st so long as the planes can get us there and the French side is open by then.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 02:07 PM

CaribEagle--now, the French side being open by then, that's a whole 'nother situation. NO idea when that will happen.
Posted By: CaribEagle

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 05:26 PM

Carol- I am hopeful with the US numbers steadily going down that by the end of Oct. the EU travel ban on US citizens will be lifted, we shall see.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 06:06 PM

Best wishes. I hope that is true, on both counts.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 06:17 PM

I think it will only be lifted as long as the EU covid cases flatten out and the US lifts travel restrictions from those countries. Until then French St Martin will follow mainland France in regards to that.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 06:32 PM

Spain and France are going WAAAY in the wrong direction so not much hope right now

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 06:52 PM

I see French side cases at 117 now and climbing. Not good.
Posted By: extreme

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 07:41 PM

Our december Air Transat flight just cancelled....

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 08:01 PM

Wow!...that's an out there date.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 09:11 PM

Once the medical issues are resolved, their are also the political issues - country A will not allow entry by citizens of country B until country B allows entry of citizens from country A. If you look at the "do not enter" lists, there is little rhyme or reason to them but I suspect there will be some political posturing about it.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/24/2020 10:01 PM

Not to mention probably quarantine requirements.

Delaware just changed theirs again.
Posted By: 320sycamore

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 01:29 AM

We are going in November.
Maybe it is a Zen thing. The low puffy clouds, beautiful beaches and stunning sunrises really are worth it. We did not like missing our Spring trip at all and going there will make up for it as best we can and the imminent darkness and cold of late fall and winter here will seem less intolerable. We will exercise precautions going to SXM just like we would when staying here in MA. Sure, there will be limitations but we are okay with that.
Not waiting for travel conditions to be absolutely perfect. In two years we will look back and say glad we did.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 01:53 AM

Kenny’s/Leslie

We have never met yet we have been going to the Island for many many many years. Part of our not meeting was the fact that initially we drove but later used cabs.

We are committed after reading this thread to use your services.
We thank you for supporting this thread.

If the French side allows us to travel in November you can count us as a customer for a couple of weeks and hopefully for many years to come.

I would ask any undecided travelers to give you a call.
Thank you for supporting this site and I hope we can meet you in mid November.

carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: candj

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 11:24 AM

We ae still trying to visit from Nov. 26th through December 12th. The real issue is trying to get the PCR test taken and the results uploaded within 72hours from take off. Plus what happens if you have uploaded the results and you still haven't received the the authorization from SXM?
Posted By: wendyk

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 11:32 AM

Have you found a place to get the PCR test in MA? I've been told I can only get one if I have symptoms or have been exposed to someone infected. Thanks!
Posted By: Bahston

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by wendyk
Have you found a place to get the PCR test in MA? I've been told I can only get one if I have symptoms or have been exposed to someone infected. Thanks!

That's a problem everywhere. There are lots of places which promise "rapid results". There are zero places which say what type of test they do.

As to "exposed", pick a protest and say that you went to it. You did join the protest, didn't you?

For MA, Google "MA COVID Testing" and one of the suggested links will be to a list of the sites in MA where you can get tested. But again, not a single word about the type of test,

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 01:54 PM

Good morning Doctor,
Thanks very much for your kind words and me and my Wife will be looking forward to meeting you. Once your plans are arrange please send an E-mail to bruce@sintmaarten.net and we will make the arrangements for the car reservation.
Current times are really rough but we all are trying our best.
Kind regards, Lesley E.Bruce.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 02:40 PM

"As to "exposed", pick a protest and say that you went to it. You did join the protest, didn't you?"
Just your luck the form you get back will have reason for test was exposure which will red flag you entering SXM. Not a good thing to lie to get a test.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wendyk

I haven't found one in MA but the RI Convention center does RT-PCR tests for asymptomatic visitors from red zone states AND travelers needing a test that is required for travel....not near you but might be worth looking into....test results reportedly within 24-48 hours

P.I.A that MA doesn't have a similar set up
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 08:01 PM

Important note on the RI Convention Center testing... they’re targeting an average results time of 48 hours. There is no guarantee but I suppose it is better than nothing.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 08:07 PM

Correct....a friend of mine got his results the next day but no guarantee with that....but seems better than the "maybe in 72 hours" group

Edit: They (we) need that saliva test to be accepted....same day results....THAT works
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 08:09 PM

The rapid test I can get here in texas is not the one they accept. Can't get a guarantee other than 72 hours. Problem is if you fly out on a Saturday or Sunday that makes it even harder to meet the deadline.
Posted By: Angelface

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 08:26 PM

I'm hopefully flying out Friday first thing and got two tests today. I hope one of them will come back by Thursday night. No place around here can guarantee more than 3-5 days, but the last time I got tested it took 2 days, so fingers crossed.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 10:18 PM

Best wishes, Angelface!! I truly hope you are able to get home..
Posted By: kccouple

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/25/2020 11:51 PM

I would call it common sense not paranoid

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 12:29 AM

Okay.
Posted By: d_fish

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 12:46 AM

We are hoping to travel to SXM in November and then again in January. The issue appears to be obtaining a test within the required timeframe to meet SXM regulations. Hopefully it becomes easier to obtain tests because it may be the hurdle that prevents travel.

The issue I now see is that airlines have started scheduling flights, but passengers may not be booking due to uncertainly of obtaining the required tests, among other things of course, therefore the airlines are canceling the flights - case in point Delta. They had flights scheduled and have subsequently cancelled them - my guess is due to lack of demand.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 02:03 AM

Can't blame tourists not booking. Too many restrictions and hoops to jump through to get there and be able to enjoy the island. French side currently off limits with no end in sight.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 11:11 AM

tuesday ain't good either...do not think labs work sundays...or the possibility to get a test on weekend....at least it is my thot....will look into more deeply as November approaches

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 01:58 PM

Certainly will!
Can’t wait to meet you on our Island home away from home!
carib cheers
doctorj
Posted By: Angelface

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Best wishes, Angelface!! I truly hope you are able to get home..

Thanks Carol! Fingers crossed!!

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/26/2020 06:25 PM

Check out the thread on CDC no testing needed for asymptomatic people....might affect ability to even get a test
Posted By: pony600

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/27/2020 05:21 PM

We made the hard decision not to come this October. We'll miss it very much, but too many requirements that could be changed or go wrong at the last moment. Plus a little nagging worry- what if we get sick while on island, or what if we can't get home.... It all adds up to it's just not worth it for us, I'm very sorry to say.
Posted By: Hdrdr911

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 02:05 PM

For us it's a combination of issues. We are both in a high risk group due to us being in our sixties. We don't believe it to be responsible behavior to travel during this pandemic. Asymptomatic transmission of this deadly virus is a very real concern. Testing only tells you if you are virus free at that moment in time providing of course the test is accurate.Traveling to an island with such limited medical resources is frankly selfish and irresponsible. We won't do it. We will be back when the pandemic is over.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 02:42 PM

Understand and stay safe, but the pandemic will never be over but put in control.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 05:40 PM

Understand and stay safe, but the pandemic will never be over but put in control.

Lesley, I'm not sure you understand how difficult the requirements that the island government has set forth will be for many of us to comply with. Perhaps those in a big city can get test results within 72 hours of flying, but those of us who live in more rural areas may not. People who live on the West coast of the US must leave their homes a full day before their connecting flight, so they only have two days to get their results. I am hoping that your government will choose to accept the newer rapid tests, which are actually being shown to be at least as reliable, if not more, than the PCR test which must be sent to a lab for processing. We very much want to come, and feel confident that we can ensure that we can do that safely. For us, your government's requirements are the only stumbling point at this time. It's certainly not paranoia that may keep us from coming.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 06:42 PM

My feelings too

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 07:44 PM

Definitely NOT paranoia but the issue of getting the test results prior to departure. With my Sunday arrival that makes it impossible....even adding a few days at the beginning still doesn't guarantee I will get results before Thursday or Friday departure. THAT is my only issue....
Posted By: Hdrdr911

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 10:05 PM

Respectfully when the pandemic is under control it is effectivly no longer a pandemic. It will end.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hdrdr911

Respectfully when the pandemic is under control it is effectivly no longer a pandemic. It will end.

Oh yeah. Then it’s just a little ole EPIDEMIC!!! Lol

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 11:21 PM

Let's hope for the best .

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 11:26 PM

Diseases, pandemic or otherwise always exist but most are controlled....same will eventually happen with COVID,,,it won't disappear but it may be controlled with vaccines for those who accept that they work
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 11:38 PM

The main problem for me and several couples I know is the testing requirements. I understand the need for the health and safety of the residents and visitors but the 72 hour turnaround is problematic for most in the US. There are other tests that are supposed to be as accurate but with more rapid results. If these tests are as accurate as reported I think the islands business owners such as yourself should lobby the government officials to look into them. If that can be accomplished I believe you will see a significant increase of visitors which would needed to help the local business's and there employees.
Posted By: pat

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/30/2020 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobbarb
............ There are other tests that are supposed to be as accurate but with more rapid results. If these tests are as accurate as reported I think the islands business owners such as yourself should lobby the government officials to look into them. If that can be accomplished I believe you will see a significant increase of visitors which would needed to help the local business's and there employees.

I would be very inclined to agree - if these tests show a proven accuracy rate it would make it lifetimes easier for those here wanting to visit the island, therefore upping the numbers and making everyone happy.

I know from a personal perspective I’m itching to be in SXM but I’m only willing to jump through so many hoops to be there and if the tests available here aren’t in compliance with what the island is requiring, that will probably be the deciding factor for me.
Posted By: Mr. St. Martin

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:14 AM

So with all this conversation, my question to answer everything is the latest announcement by the CDC that nearly all the “Covid 19” deaths we’re misclassified, the actual number of Covid 19 deaths is around 10,000. Believe it folks, read the CDC website.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. St. Martin
So with all this conversation, my question to answer everything is the latest announcement by the CDC that nearly all the “Covid 19” deaths we’re misclassified, the actual number of Covid 19 deaths is around 10,000. Believe it folks, read the CDC website.

And, in recognition of this fact all hotels on the island are offering free rooms through the end of the year, all bars are complimentary, and restaurant meals are 85% off. Oh, and casino slots payout at 150% and tables pay out 10 to 1 on blackjack.
Posted By: raj8731

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:29 AM

On the SXM Port webcam I saw 2 cruise ships. Are they empty or do they have tourists ?

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by cruzer

And, in recognition of this fact all hotels on the island are offering free rooms through the end of the year, all bars are complimentary, and restaurant meals are 85% off. Oh, and casino slots payout at 150% and tables pay out 10 to 1 on blackjack.

The CDC did offer some revised statistics, that is factual. TABLE 2
Your post is not factual and neither are joking matters

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by raj8731
On the SXM Port webcam I saw 2 cruise ships. Are they empty or do they have tourists ?

No tourists, just crew and probably dropping some crew off and taking on fuel and/or supplies.
Posted By: raj8731

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:39 AM

Just like everything else about this virus. No one really has any idea.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 12:43 AM

Mr. St Martin--BS
Posted By: dlparch

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 01:27 AM

I read the CDC website. Don't throw out facts unless you link the facts. There's no "misclassified" (sic). Here's the fact as of 8/30:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases
Posted By: cruzer

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Originally Posted by cruzer

The CDC did offer some revised statistics, that is factual. TABLE 2
Your post is not factual and neither are joking matters

My post wasn't a joke it was mockery. Big difference.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 01:40 AM

Can’t we all just get along?

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Diseases, pandemic or otherwise always exist but most are controlled....same will eventually happen with COVID,,,it won't disappear but it may be controlled with vaccines for those who accept that they work

My sentiments too.

Re: So is it everyone not coming ??? - 08/31/2020 09:23 AM

Due to the length of this, time to end it and it is drifting off-topic.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline