TravelTalkOnline

Another ship coming

Posted By: blackmercedes

Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 05:22 PM

Why are the empty ships still coming?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 05:26 PM

To pick up supplies and fuel. Discussed in previous posts.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 05:54 PM

At one point, I think they were going to try to do some procedure for testing for crew members, so they could disembark in SXM and presumably spend some money. I haven't heard any more about that. Anyone know if any port has made arrangements for them to come ashore? The crew has to be going crazy, not ever setting foot on land?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 06:34 PM

I'm confused why ships would come to SXM for supplies when all supplies for SXM come by ship...

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 07:38 PM

Presumably the cruise lines are shipping things to the Caribbean by ship to have the ships pick them up, so the ships don't have to travel all the way to the US.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 07:42 PM

Makes sense. I doubt they could go to a US port anyway.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 07:55 PM

Yup...does make sense
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 08:09 PM

Carol the crews are cleaning and servicing the Ships plus painting and getting rid of rust . A lot of work is being done on the Ships.

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 08:23 PM

Lesley--That certainly makes sense, that they are working, those crew members that are onboard, as the cruise lines wouldn't be paying them otherwise. My question is whether they have been allowed to set foot off the ship, EVER, since this thing started.. I guess the answer is no.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 09:02 PM

No , Carol , just working onboard the Ships. To save money , the Ships stay in sea until their workers are on island before docking at the Port.
Posted By: pat

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 09:10 PM

We watched them cruising in and out of P’Berg the whole time we’ve been here and they’ve deep harbored off Simpson Bay several days, too. If I were on one of those ships I’d go bonkers which stands to reason for me since, although we’ve done a few, I’m just NOT a big fan of cruises. I’m afraid I’d end up in a straight jacket if they made me stay on a ship that long.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 10:17 PM

I vaguely remember that at least one cruise line had reduced their crew’s awhile back, but had recently begun re-crewing the ships.

Re: Another ship coming - 12/09/2020 10:23 PM

OK, as I said, the workers must be going crazy, NEVER being able to leave the ship.
Posted By: dkupersmith

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 01:32 AM

I also seem to remember that Carnival helped fund the expansion of Port St Maarten in exchange for future reduced fees. If you note, all the ships that have been drifting locally and docking have been from that cruise line. This may be a major reason why, the port fees may still be well under true market rates.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 10:24 AM

I've seen Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America ships in the past three weeks. I think Carnival may own RC, but I don't believe they own HA. Of course, I could be wrong; I often am.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
I've seen Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America ships in the past three weeks. I think Carnival may own RC, but I don't believe they own HA. Of course, I could be wrong; I often am.

I think Royal Caribbean is part of a 3 line group with no affiliation with Carnival. Holland America is a subsidiary of Carnival.

Hope the trip is going well.

WHO OWNS WHO?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 11:53 AM

See, I told you I was probably wrong 😜. Today is our last full day, and it looks to be a beautiful one.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 01:01 PM

Hope it is a good one. Safe travels back to NC.

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 01:57 PM

Georgia--wow, time flies! Hope your trip home is uneventful.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Another ship coming - 12/10/2020 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by pat
We watched them cruising in and out of P’Berg the whole time we’ve been here and they’ve deep harbored off Simpson Bay several days, too. If I were on one of those ships I’d go bonkers which stands to reason for me since, although we’ve done a few, I’m just NOT a big fan of cruises. I’m afraid I’d end up in a straight jacket if they made me stay on a ship that long.

Good thing you didn't join the Navy! wink
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline