TravelTalkOnline

How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors

Posted By: badbenni

How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 11:20 AM

We would like to buy the $30 per person Covid insurance being offered by St Maarten for $30 each. We are already on Island?

So my question is how can we get this insurance?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by badbenni
We would like to buy the $30 per person Covid insurance being offered by St Maarten for $30 each. We are already on Island?

So my question is how can we get this insurance?

Supposedly you go to the website for travel permission and purchase it there. I believe it was mandated those already on the island after the beginning date weer required to purchase it.

TRAVEL INFO

There is also an email contact link and someone had posted a phone # here previously. I will see if I can find it.

You might try 721-542-3003 as this was posted previously as a good #.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 12:07 PM

As far as I can see, you can't get to page 3 of the application without completing pages 1 and 2, essentially reapplying. Hopefully they will come up with some sort of process to add it, but I do not see anything as of yet.

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 12:31 PM

As with many other aspects of the travel requirements, it appears this may take a few days to settle and was not given a lot of forethought.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 02:47 PM

JD--Elaine said that people already on island before January 11 would be required to purchase the insurance, but nowhere do I see that in writing and I see absolutely no way they could enforce that.

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 02:52 PM

Yes, I thought I recalled that but I was unable to find anything official. At least not yet. If your arrival date is tracked by either immigration or the EHAS, perhaps they could levy the charge upon departure. Just a thought.
Posted By: kim

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 02:54 PM

When you filled out your EHAS form, you were supposed to already have insurance like this. This just makes it easier

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 03:00 PM

..except that the air evac portion is absolutely worthless, because the limit of coverage is $20,000 and you cannot get air evac for anything close to that..
Posted By: belair209

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 06:33 PM

We arrived 12/30/2020, heading back next week. I just sent an email to info@sxmprotectionplan.com as suggested in the most recent SXM Covid travel update asking the same question about those of us already on island prior to Covid insurance requirement. Will pass along the response when received.

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 06:38 PM

OK, appreciate hearing any response.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 06:45 PM

From the Gov web page.
"As of January 11, 2021 the government of Sint Maarten will be implementing a mandatory COVID-19 insurance for all travelers visiting Sint Maarten with the exception of residents, transit passengers, flight crews and French nationals. The insurance purchasing process is an integrated step in the EHAS application. For more information on and all questions related to the COVID-19 insurance please visit https://www.sxmprotectionplan.com or contact customer support at info@sxmprotectionplan.com"
Posted By: belair209

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 09:05 PM

Here is what I received about fifteen minutes after my inquiry:

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your email!

Please note that French nationals and residents of Sint Maarten are exempted from the insurance.

The insurance purchasing process is an integrated step in the EHAS (Electronic Health Authorization System) application of St. Maarten. The EHAS application form must be completed by each visitor arriving by air at https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/.

If you already have an approved EHAS application form but you were not offered to purchase the insurance you can purchase the insurance at https://www.sxmprotectionplan.com/application

We hope to have informed you sufficiently!

Regards,

--
Sofia
www.sxmprotectionplan.com

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 09:19 PM

OK, well, if you go there, it asks you to put in your arrival date, and it only starts with today...
Posted By: bonsie

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/11/2021 09:36 PM

I was just looking over the EHAS from which seems pretty simple BUT, where the form asks where you are staying will it accept two resorts? First week we at Mary's Boon
and second week Oyster Bay beach resort.
Thanks in advance
Bob
Posted By: boucharda

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/12/2021 11:58 AM

I would pick one since that seems to be the only option given
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/15/2021 10:54 AM

Not true. They are NOT required to buy it but I did since it is worth the $ -- and I do have global health insurance.

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/15/2021 10:55 AM

True -- because you can't insure for dates before the insurance can become effective.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/16/2021 03:04 AM

Carol I agree the the air evacuation clause is worthless-if you want to return to the USA. My wife and I decided last weekend we are going to do our annual month starting January 17th. We went through the negative covid test and the $30 insurance requirement. Tonight while reviewing the list of benefits; medical evacuation is to the nearest qualified hospital to prevent loss of life, up to a maximum of $20,000, provided the patient cannot be treated locally in St Maarten. All other benefits covered under this insurance are terminated automatically if the nearest qualified hospital is in the insured person's home country. We know of several people that over the years had to be evacuated to the USA and the cost was way above the $20,000. Does the nearest qualified hospital mean you could be dropped of on a nearby island? Another money maker for someone for sure.

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/16/2021 02:02 PM

johnhill--It is definitely possible they would evacuate you to San Juan or to say, Martinique, which is where many French side patients are evacuated to. Those hospitals are still nowhere near as good as the US. And the air evac amount is totally insufficient to get you back to the US, yes. The insurance is basically worthless, in my opinion, except for the cost of quarantine. And since it only pays $125 a day, god knows whether THEY will decide where you can stay, or whether you have to try to find somewhere to stay for that amount of money, but $125 a day, especially in high season, doesn't seem like it would do the job...

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/23/2021 08:44 PM

It is NOT required of people on SXM before 1/11. I got here some time before and bought it. Crazy not to, dirt cheap.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: How can visitors already here buy the new Covid Insurance required of all visitors - 01/24/2021 12:02 PM

I bought SIGNIFICANTLY better coverage prior to arriving for $52/pp (Nationwide through Trawick Int.)......significantly. I think this $30 policy looks nice but won't do the job if really needed....my opinion. But....moot point now since everyone will have to buy it anyway
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline