TravelTalkOnline

Step one

Posted By: JohnB

Step one - 02/20/2021 02:56 PM

Just returned from our Covid test preflight. Once we get results I'll send in form and hope all well for our Tuesday departure. I usually don't comment that much but since this is a very different year we will keep you posted on our progress. The wife is already overwhelmed so it should be a very interesting trip.
Posted By: vacanakey

Re: Step one - 02/20/2021 03:31 PM

Thanks, John....hoping all goes well for you guys. I'll be following closely as we leave on a Tuesday as well.

Cheers!
Posted By: JimandBeth

Re: Step one - 02/20/2021 03:38 PM

We leave tomorrow. Got our approval back from St Maarten within an hour of submitting it. We’ll let you all know how it goes. The plane appears to be quite empty.
Posted By: pat

Re: Step one - 02/20/2021 04:05 PM

John,

I hope it continues to go well with no pitfalls between now and departure. We were traveling too close to a holiday and I think too soon after the newer requirements went in to effect. My DH was approved within an hour and it ended up taking me four attempts over three days with two phone calls to SXM with no rhyme or reason for the problems. Thank heavens I have a determined daughter because personally, I was ready to give up and cancel. In the end we had a wonderful trip and I wish the same for you as well. It was worth every minute of effort and the island and her people so need our support.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Step one - 02/20/2021 05:42 PM

Best wishes to ALL of you and please do keep us in the loop here, as to how is goes. Hoping for a very smooth trip, for all of you!!!
Posted By: WWII

Re: Step one - 02/20/2021 06:53 PM

I'm heading down on the 14th. I tried to schedule my test for the 9th, but it was too early. I hope I can get the results and approval without any complications. This trip is the first time solo.

Re: Step one - 02/22/2021 12:44 PM

Got our PCR tests on Saturday and results Sunday evening. Filled out our forms and sent in Sunday night. Our reply with approval was returned 4:47AM today. So we are good to go other than checking on United's requirement that you have a negative test done in 48 hours before departure. SO

Re: Step one - 02/22/2021 02:03 PM

John--United is requiring a PCR test within 48 hours? That's obviously wrong. Keep us updated.
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Step one - 02/22/2021 03:26 PM

I flew United on Feb 13. The EHAS requirements were sufficient for them.
I presented the printed EHAS document & 120 hour PCR test results. No problems.

Re: Step one - 02/22/2021 09:58 PM

My wife got the requirement mentioned in a Miles email. The 48 hour was not in my email with the requirements for boarding our flight tomorrow so we are going with that. I checked with EWR/United and they have a facility on site to give a rapid test in 45 minutes so that will be our backup. At $200 each for the test [yikes!] we are hoping not to need it.

Re: Step one - 02/22/2021 10:54 PM

OK, John, good luck and keep us posted!

Re: Step one - 02/23/2021 11:19 AM

At the gate ewr so far so good

Re: Step one - 02/23/2021 01:55 PM

OK, no update since then, so I assume you are airborne!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Step one - 02/23/2021 03:52 PM

Safe travels.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Step one - 02/23/2021 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
John--United is requiring a PCR test within 48 hours? That's obviously wrong. Keep us updated.

I think he's referring to the test required to return to the US? United States, not United Airlines?
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Step one - 02/23/2021 07:45 PM

Can't be. No matter what test you take to get back to the US, it is 3 days.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Step one - 02/23/2021 08:33 PM

Antigen test is 48 to go to SXM
Posted By: marge

Re: Step one - 02/24/2021 01:20 PM

One suggestion if you are coming from a “cold” state, would be to try for a 72, not a 120 hour timeframe for your Covid test results. We have met a few people who had to cancel flights and retest because of weather delays. We only had a 6 hour cushion for flight delays, and we had to return to gate and get de-iced before taking off. It’s a vacation...why add the extra stress, or expense?

Re: Step one - 02/24/2021 11:09 PM

Hi guy, sorry for the delay we had internet problems here
So everything in St Martin went like they said it would. Besides our own self-induced anxiety it went well. I don't think the plane had 30 people on it. Orient Beach is basically empty but the sun and the ocean are here so no problems

Re: Step one - 02/25/2021 12:02 AM

John--Glad to hear everything is OK. Was wondering, due to the delay!! Enjoy!

And if you can, some pictures would be wonderful!!
Posted By: WWII

Re: Step one - 02/25/2021 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by marge
One suggestion if you are coming from a “cold” state, would be to try for a 72, not a 120 hour timeframe for your Covid test results. We have met a few people who had to cancel flights and retest because of weather delays. We only had a 6 hour cushion for flight delays, and we had to return to gate and get de-iced before taking off. It’s a vacation...why add the extra stress, or expense?

I was going to do close to the 120. I'll push that up now. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Step one - 02/25/2021 02:14 PM

WWII--Well, if I personally booked my test much closer to when I was due to leave, I'd be stressed that the test results wouldn't come back in time. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Re: Step one - 02/26/2021 12:43 PM

for our Tuesday departure we went to an urgent care near us that advertised testing for travel and surgery clearance. They understood what we required and said results usualy are in 24 hours. we planed to do an antigen test on Monday if we didn't get our results back by then. all went well we got our results Sunday evening. We are here now and it was well worth it!

Re: Step one - 02/26/2021 01:48 PM

John--please give us a little trip report when you can.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline