TravelTalkOnline

YAY....we are here.

Posted By: EdB

YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 01:45 AM

I think today may go down as one of the longest grueling days of my life. Drove to Miami last night so we could park,sleep and fly. Stayed in Fairfield Inn by Marriott. Figured this way, we wouldn't have to leave the house at Dawn, head to Miami, and battle the traffic. Hotel on a scale of 1to 10 was probably a 2, maybe a three. Very small room, freezing cold, and a mattress that was made out rocks. Also, all night heard a girgling coming from the ceiling. Well, we wont do that hotel again.

The shuttle did take us to the airport, but dropped us off at arrivals, so of course, no curb check in. Then came the long lines waiting to get to the counter, since online checkin is not available for inernational flights. Got rid of the luggage, then the longer lines a TSA. After we made it through there, the hike to our gate started. We were told it was gate 6...so after walking, with my bad hip, and lack of sleep, took about half hour to get to. Well......they changed the gate from six to thirty six...which was at least a mile away. no kidding. All this walking after only three weeks from two surgieries was a killer.

The plane was pretty full, with both of us having someone in both the window and middle seats. Flight itself was pretty easy, and thankfully they had the ramp against the doors, so it was easier to get to the busses. Took about FIFTEEN minutes for the bus to finally pick us up to take us to ''checkin''. Well, for the first time in 32 years, it took well over TWO HOURS and three more lines to get through immigration. I have NEVER seen it so packed, i guess Five planes including air france and klm all came in around the same time. Couldn't beleive how few agents there actually was. So, between the lack of sleep, the longest walks i have taken in years, and the standing in line, my back tonight is 'SCREAMING.

The good news is, I have three weeks to take it easy and hopefully recover. Did go to Mark's place at five oclock, because we didn't eat all day, except for a small bagel in a bag at the hotel. Mark's was as good as always, have never been disappinted in the least there. Coming in, could see miles and miles of seawood, and heard that many of the beaches are covered. Will see for ourselves soon enough. More to follow
Posted By: cruzer

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 02:41 AM

Whew, I need a vacation after reading your experience. Glad you are in paradise now.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 06:10 AM

Hope the worst is over now. Enjoy your 3 weeks.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 12:06 PM

At least you made it! Congrats!
Posted By: mahokid

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 12:11 PM

Ed,

Looks like the beach is there for you.
Kindly send a hello to Sherell at front desk) and John (head of maintenance) morning from Renee and Michael.

Wishing you great weather and food,
Mahokid
Posted By: pat

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 01:53 PM

Ed,

Glad you made it.

A special request again, please.......

I love reading what you have to say about your experiences regarding our favorite island, but would you consider a paragraph now and then. So much easier for old eyes to handle.
Posted By: Dutchman

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 02:03 PM

Wow, what a journey .. time to enjoy yourselves. Have a great 3 weeks.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 02:05 PM

Hi Pat. I just put in some returns.

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 02:05 PM

Wow, sounds like a pretty rough trip down! Hopefully everything is clear sailing from here on out!
Posted By: Pan

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 02:12 PM

Maybe try a different day than Saturday to arrive so as to avoid the crowd unless you have a timeshare.

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 02:37 PM

Pan--that is correct in general, but Ed does have a t/s, thus why he arrived on a Saturday.

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mahokid
Ed,

Looks like the beach is there for you.
Kindly send a hello to Sherell at front desk) and John (head of maintenance) morning from Renee and Michael.

Wishing you great weather and food,
Mahokid

Mahokid.....i would LOVE to give Sherrell a hello for you, but to my surprise yesterday while checking in, found that Sherrell has retired!!! It was the first time in thirty years, that she didn't check us in. Wish her all the best in her retirement, and she surely will be missed by all here at Royal Islander.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 06:41 PM

Ed,

Appreciate your response.
OMG I am literally in tears.
I know she was having some health issues.
I would always brew a pot of coffee in the morning and take her a fresh cup until about two years ago when she stopped drinking coffee.
Sherell always took care of us and "hooked" us up many times either with late check out or making sure we didn't have to change rooms if we added a week.
She will be missed.
Enjoy RI and I'm sure there probably isn't much to write about as the property and staff speaks for itself.
Enjoy yourself and kindly leave all that sand there.
Starting to plan our second try to celebrate our 25th anniversary again since we didn't feel safe health wise visiting in September.

Mahokid
Posted By: RonDon

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/14/2021 09:42 PM

Welcome to SXM Ed. I bet the moment you touched land, felt that warmth, all the stress began to melt. I know it did for us. Problem is it begins again after the stay so enjoy now.

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/15/2021 03:50 AM

Thanks RonDon... as for warmth, it wasn't too much warmer here than at home in Boynton Beach Florida. The stress level started to lower as soon as we got into our rental car, checked in, and unpacked. Today was a ''veg'' day at the pool since my back and legs were so sore from yesterday. Tomorrow, hopefully, we go to Orient.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: YAY....we are here. - 03/15/2021 07:40 PM

Rest those legs so you can enjoy the time in SXM. Let sand gravity take over.

Wishing you a worry free departure so that stress doesn't return and you can make the SXM vibes carry you through to home.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline