TravelTalkOnline

Lost passport...???

Posted By: dolfer

Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 08:39 PM

We have a week to find or replace a Passport. Is it possible to replace in that time period?
Posted By: cajunscuba

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 08:58 PM

If you show proof that you have a trip booked and need one ASAP, you can go to the nearest passport agency office (Detroit maybe?) and you can get one in a few hours....at least that's how it was years ago. It's more expensive.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 09:46 PM

Yes, check online to see where the nearest passport office is, and you should be able to get a new one in person.

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 10:17 PM

In normal times, maybe, but with covid rules and limited hours we are unsure. My daughter cannot find her passport and she lives in Chicago. We are currently hoping we can get it done there.

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 10:48 PM

Did you try to call the passport office?

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 11:05 PM

Yes and she was rebuffed (No way!) citing limited appointments due to covid. She will keep trying though. Stay tuned.

She moved to a new apartment last year and thinks it got lost then or accidently thrown out.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 11:19 PM

I got my expired passport reissued in Miami. Couldn't get on the plane that Saturday morning. Had to spent 2 nights in Miami to wait for passport office to open Monday. Got it issued that morning and on the plane that day. Just make sure she has 2 passport pictures to present to them before you go or she'll have to leave to get pictures and then go back and wait in line to get it done. Hope she knows her original number to help look it up or there might be more hoops to jump through. She might need to take her birth certificate with her and some other form of ID too..

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 11:41 PM

dolfer--good luck...
Posted By: NumberCruncher

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/15/2021 11:56 PM

There are passport expediting services listed on the internet. They are not inexpensive, but they claim that they can get a passport very quickly. Good luck! John

Here is the US Department of State website for fast passports. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/18/2021 09:41 PM

Unfortunately it looks like my daughter will NOT be making the trip with us because of her lost passport. She lives in Chicago and could get to the US Passport office tomorrow morning but does not believe that the office will be open or will let her in. In the days of Covid there seems no way to expedite a passport. We're so sad.

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/18/2021 10:46 PM

Sorry to hear that.
Posted By: kim

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/18/2021 10:53 PM

Has she tried this?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/chicago.html

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/18/2021 10:56 PM

We haven't seen our daughter in over a year. She moved to a new apartment May 2020 and we've only seen it on zoom. Somehow in the move she thinks she must have lost her passport and didn't realize it until last week. As of right now it looks like it could be months to get a replacement.

Just another example of all the things effected by the pandemic and the poor state of affairs or government and businesses are in.

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/18/2021 10:58 PM

I would still show up at that office with pictures in hand.

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/18/2021 11:35 PM

That's the plan.

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/19/2021 12:46 AM

Wishing her luck. 🤞
Posted By: dvesc

Re: Lost passport...??? - 04/19/2021 11:07 AM

Hopefully something else will work out or she'll find the passport, but it might not hurt for her to contact her congressional representative to explain what's going on. I participated in the TripAdvisor discussion linked below when we were trying to get a new passport last year, and several people mentioned that being helpful. In most cases, this was in situations where a passport application was already submitted and just delayed, but there may be something that can be done here. I never would have considered it, and it seems like there are staff members that deal specifically with passport-type issues.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop..._renewal_processing_time-Air_Travel.html
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline