TravelTalkOnline

Sargassum

Posted By: Buddyhog

Sargassum - 07/28/2021 01:10 AM

What is the update on sargassum on the beaches? Staying on Simpson bay beach and sounds like not bad there? What about other beaches like orient? Thx
Posted By: SPF29inSXM

Re: Sargassum - 07/28/2021 01:37 AM

Ran Orient this morning and most of the beach got hit hard with 2-3 feet at 4-6” depth. Was mostly from Mount Vernon to the start of Club O section. Club O had about the usual amount they’ve been getting which was minimal compared to the other beaches. Workers were working on clearing it with heavy equipment, but they’ve got some work to do.
Posted By: Kennyxx50

Re: Sargassum - 07/28/2021 02:09 PM

Wow.Been to Orient at least 10 times,and never saw this.Is this something that just started being a big problem in the last few years?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Sargassum - 07/28/2021 06:03 PM

I just sailed from the BVI to St. Lucia, staying pretty far offshore all the time. There was never once when I looked astern and did not see any Sargasso. Most of the patches were less than 50 square feet, but some of them were up to 100 feet wide. And this was 3 days at sea with nothing better to do than look out behind me. That is an awful lot of sargassum! Even the big squalls did little to break up the clumps, and I'm sure that they coagulated together again just like the V2 Terminator!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Sargassum - 07/28/2021 09:17 PM

Spent the afternoon on Simpson Bay Beach. Not a sign of sargassum anywhere.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Sargassum - 07/29/2021 06:19 AM

It seems to be most hit hard was Orient and Dawn beach. Very little on Simpson bay beach in front of Beachside villa's and nothing at Mullet!! Be interesting to hear what people are saying about beaches along Marigot and Grand Case???
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Sargassum - 07/29/2021 12:58 PM

I saw one day where there was a lot of it at Mullet, but that seems very unusual. When we were at Beachside in June, there was one day that it was pretty bad, but otherwise, there was very little or none. Dawn Beach has never been a big favorite of mine anyway, but especially in the summer, the past few years, it seems to be almost always horrible there.
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: Sargassum - 07/29/2021 01:31 PM

Does anyone know if it has cleared up at all along the shore in Cul de Sac? Last time I saw a picture, it was horrendous.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Sargassum - 07/29/2021 01:50 PM

The French Collective has taken a proactive stance in trying to collect and remove the sargassum from the French Cul due Sac. Attached below, is an article from yesterday, that discusses the steps they have taken along with pictures.

link to article
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: Sargassum - 07/29/2021 02:32 PM

Thanks for sharing the article. What a mess.....................
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline